PDA

View Full Version : Treated lumber dust a hazard?

Greg Koch
04-04-2006, 3:37 AM
Is the dust from treated lumber something you should be really extra careful with? I thought about planing some fencing and other boards I have laying around for some projects.

Thanks

Greg

Steve Ash
04-04-2006, 8:24 AM
Greg, I don't have the answer to your question, but if you have any doubt get yourself a respirator. You'll need it in your new shop anyway.

Rob Beckers
04-04-2006, 9:13 AM
Depends a bit how old your lumber is: Until January 2004 the common ingredient for treatment was copper-chromated-arsenic (CCA). This is very nasty stuff to breathe! People have gotten very sick from exposure to it. The current ingredient varies depending on manufacturer, it's either alkaline-copper-quat (ACQ) or borate. Both are much less toxic to humans, though I really would not want to expose my lungs to high doses of it. One more thing: While manufacturers could not use CCA any more after January 2004, they were still allowed to sell off their CCA treated stock. Meaning that after that date CCA was still sold.

-Rob-

Tyler Howell
04-04-2006, 9:15 AM
Ick I hate that stuff the newer treatments are better but:

Don't breath it
Don't touch it
Don't let it come in contact with your veggie garden :(
Don't leave it on your cast tools:eek: A little reactionary but, it will mess up your tools and I like to get everything cleaned up ASAP. Good DC is important.

Maurice Ungaro
04-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Yep, it's potent stuff - I now wear gloves when using it, and ALWAYS use a respirator when cutting/sanding it.

Another booger is MDF - bad dust off of that stuff. Some guys still call it Canadian Revenge.

Steve Clardy
04-04-2006, 10:45 AM
If I remember, they recommend a dust mask if you are in prolonged contact with the treated lumber.
House framers cutting a lot of it, workers constantly exposed to it.

Jerry Olexa
04-04-2006, 10:51 AM
I'm no expert, But i'd be cautious. Whenever I'm working with it on an outdoor project, I try to do all the cutting etc outside. I wouldn't reco planing it indoors unless you're wearing a respirator..All imho

Jim Becker
04-04-2006, 11:45 PM
Even the current version of treated lumber can be a dust issue, so wear proper safety gear and don't dispose of the chips/dust with your other sawdust from the DC. Also, keep in mind that planing down the treated lumber may reduce the effectiveness of the treatment, depending on the process and original "rating".

Matt Guyrd
04-05-2006, 9:22 AM
Good morning, All.

So it is safe to say that proper protection is necessary, not just with treated lumber, but all lumber.

Is there any other reason why treated lumber shouldn't be milled? Is there any adverse effect on tools (e.g., planers, jointers, TS) that should be considered?

Jim...why separate the two different (treated and non-treated) chips when disposing? And how should treated lumber be disposed of?

Thank you.
Matt

Chris Barton
04-05-2006, 9:39 AM
The common component in all treated lumber cocktails are heavy metals. They all have toxcity issues. Also, simple wood dust itself has been identified as a carcinogenic agent. Now, about milling treated lumber; the biggest issue there is that it is very wet. You iron will rust if not completely cleaned and lubed right after such work.

Maurice Ungaro
04-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Good morning, All.

Jim...why separate the two different (treated and non-treated) chips when disposing? And how should treated lumber be disposed of?

Thank you.
Matt
It's poisonous. Natural wood chips generally are not poisonous, and can be used for mulch, compressed into pellets for stoves, etc. You don't want to do that with treated lumber - it's not healthy.

tod evans
04-05-2006, 10:45 AM
greg, the new acq lumber will disolve untreated steel nails in only a few months,contact with aluminum flashing is not recomended either...your choice as to running across your tools...02 tod

Matt Guyrd
04-05-2006, 10:51 AM
Thanks Maurice...that makes sense, assuming the non-treated chips would be used for animal bedding, mulch, pellets, etc.

This begs another question, maybe for another thread...how do most woodworkers dispose of their chips, particularly those that live in urban areas?

How does one properly dispose of treated lumber/chips? My guess, unfortunately, is that it would eventually end up in the ground. A landfill, I suppose? Either way, it sounds like an environmental problem, no?

Matt

Greg Koch
04-05-2006, 10:58 AM
Thanks for all the replies and advice... I think I'll just stay away from treated stuff, except for just sawing when needed for outdoor projects.

Greg

Maurice Metzger
04-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Here the local trash company takes sawdust, chips, shavings, and unfinished lumber scraps. It goes into the greens bin with lawn clippings, etc. It gets used as mulch.

- Maurice