PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Shop Tricks...

Alan DuBoff
04-04-2006, 2:26 AM
I had an incident in my shop recentely which made me realize I shouldn't do stupid tricks, to sacrifice not having the proper tool.

I got a few pieces of walnut that a friend has been burning in his wood stove...:eek:

I used a hand saw to trim things up, but couldn't get things as square as I wanted, it was tough trying to secure a chunk of firewood to cut...so I got this bright notion that since it was too big a piece for the tablesaw, maybe I could use the 12" miter saw which would cut the height...(in hind sight, I should have tried using a hand plane :rolleyes: ).

Bzzzttttt, not a good idea...but in my quest to get the wood into a usable chunk, well, darn if that piece of walnut didn't fly quickly across the garage and slam into the wall.

But not to be outdone, I figure I would carefully try again, only to jam the wood into the blade guard and wedge the blade.:(

That's basically my incident, but it made me realize that it sure would be stupid to loose a finger by reacting to something like that with your hand close to a 12" spinning blade...that doesn't seem wise...

It was a way for me to convince myself to buy a band saw. I wouldn't call this a gloat at all, but after pondering over this, I ended up with a Jet 18X.

Moral of the story for me was don't do stupid shop tricks...that's how serious accidents happen...maybe someone else will think twice about doing something stupid in their shop. If so, I'm glad to have at least reminded you of the danger most of us face using power tools.

I'll be honest, somehow I'm always in fear when I'm using power tools, even if it's a router. But any of them, I'm always on alert trying to prevent myself from doing some stupid shop tricks like the above...and always trying to make sure I keep my fingers/arms/self away from the blades. Too easy to cut a finger off, slice open skin, etc...

Even though I still cut myself, slice my skin, scrape myself, or even hit objects while using hand tools, I just don't have that fear when using hand tools (arguably as or more dangerous). I 'spose that "ignorance is bliss".:rolleyes: But if I don't have the fear while using them, all that much better! :D

Mike Wenzloff
04-04-2006, 2:43 AM
Glad to hear you escaped with your intelligence intact :) or at least all your digits! Not having you ribs rearranged is a plus also!

Take care--I mean that.

Mike

David Rose
04-04-2006, 5:35 AM
Alan, be sure to either secure the firewood to a guild or do something similar on the bandsaw. Having a gap under the wood as it hits the blade can present it's own surprises. You want something holding the roundish wood solidly to the table when it reaches the blade.

David

Charles McKinley
04-04-2006, 10:14 AM
Yep,

It took me over 30 years to relize that the litle voice was pretty smart. If I even have a though that something isn't right I stop.

I'm glad that you are OK. Let us know how you like the new BS. I have the older version and am wishing for more resaw height.

Lee DeRaud
04-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Glad you're ok, but one observation:

I suspect there are a lot of members on this forum whose wives would think that the phrase "stupid shop trick" referred to your buying a $1000 bandsaw to cut up chunks of firewood.:D :eek: :p

Mike Wenzloff
04-04-2006, 11:48 AM

I suspect there are a lot of members on this forum whose wives would think that the phrase "stupid shop trick" referred to your buying a $1000 bandsaw to cut up chunks of firewood.
Not mine. Sometimes we have to schedule each others time for the bandsaw--and we've got two...:)

And she cuts up wood that would otherwise be destined for firewood so she can turn it.

Take care, Mike

Alan DuBoff
04-04-2006, 3:23 PM

I suspect there are a lot of members on this forum whose wives would think that the phrase "stupid shop trick" referred to your buying a $1000 bandsaw to cut up chunks of firewood.:D :eek: :pMaybe so, but mine is understanding enough to consider the thought. It's not to cut up firewood only, a band saw is a pretty useful tool in the shop.

I'm planning out my shop, seperating the power work to dimension and prepare lumber and timbers, and a seperate hand tool area for joinery, assembly, and detail work.

Unfortunately I need/want some power tools as I loathe preparing stock by hand.

With that in mind, this is not the case of only cutting up some firewood. And lucky my wife completely understands the "value of the digits", so to speak...and also feels this is a small price to pay to prevent stupid shop tricks.:D (she's a keeper!;))

As long as she doesn't have a problem with a $800 bandsaw, I don't have a problem with a $2500 double convection oven. Seems a good understanding between spouses is the best way for a lasting relationship. :p