PDA

View Full Version : More rookie pens.........

Barry Stratton
04-04-2006, 1:57 AM
Pens sure are great "quick" projects! Plus, I don't have to sharpen the cheap HF tools in the middle of a spin. Anyway, I'm having fun working thru a variety pack of blanks. These two are Carob and Olive. I am a little puzzled as I took both these right down to the bushings with no difference in thickness (even dug out the reloading calipers and measured) but the wood is just a tad bit thicker than the band - any words of wisdom?

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-04-2006, 3:16 AM
Sorry, no words of wisdom, as I've yet to tackle pens, but how about some words of compliment instead? :D

Nice looking pens!

Bob Noles
04-04-2006, 6:31 AM
Barry,

Did you purchase the pens and the bushings from the same source? This can many times cause the problem you have experienced. It appears that there are slight size variations between vendors is some cases.

btw..... the pens turned out great!

John Hart
04-04-2006, 7:09 AM
As it was explained to me Barry, dealing with bushings is an ever-evolving process. When they are new, you have to get a feel for their size and maybe turn a tad under. As they wear from sanding and such, you'll need to adjust ever so slightly during that aging. Nice Pens!!!

David Fried
04-04-2006, 7:15 AM
Barry,

As Bob says, there are variances. Sometimes it's between manufacturers sometimes just between kits. I use my calipers to get it right.

Bernie Weishapl
04-04-2006, 10:00 AM
I agree that the bushings are different. I bought a pen mandrel with bushing from Woodcraft and a second one from CUSA. I mic'd them and found them to be different. So I have to make sure to keep them together with their mandrel's.

Bill Oder
04-04-2006, 10:29 AM
Barry,

If you bought the Mandrel from Woodcrafters, the bushings that come with it are the wrong size.

I made my first one using the bushing with what came with the mandrel, and like yours, they were just a bit oversize.

I called Woodcrafters Tech Support and they stated that they were the wrong size.

They do however make good "Spacers".

Hope this helps.

Bill

Barry Stratton
04-04-2006, 7:53 PM
Thanks for the replies - you folks are a-okay!

I bought the mandrel and first batch of kits from CSUSA. Measured the bushings and the turned blanks - they were the same size. Didn't even think of it last night, but did today - and measured the bands - they are slightly smaller than the bushings. Duh!

Just got an order of 20 more pen kits in the mail (same style different outfit), measured all the bands, and they are the same size as the bushings. Just finished spinning another olive pen and it fits GREAT. So, looks like I'll be doing some measuring before, during, and after spinning from now on.

Thanks again.

Oh yeah, got an "order" for 15 pens. Can you say new lathe tool money???

George Conklin
04-04-2006, 8:33 PM
The pens look great, Barry, but more importantly, what's the skull from?

Corey Hallagan
04-04-2006, 9:00 PM
Well, they still look great Barry regardless. What you can do is remove the center band from the kit and slide off the blanks off of the mandrell when you think they are close and test the center band for fit, it still proud, tighten them back up and turn some more off.
Mandrells and bushings both vary from manf to manf. The guys that turn lots and lots of pens use mandrels and bushings from one company to turn that companies pens. Makes a difference but not practical for guys that turn pens here and there.
Corey

Barry Stratton
04-04-2006, 11:29 PM
The pens look great, Barry, but more importantly, what's the skull from?

Black bear from last spring. About another month or so and it'll be time to go get another one. Nothing beats fresh meat!!!

Thanks for the compliments and advice Corey. Your stuff is pretty darn nice too!