PDA

View Full Version : Router Template Guides

Lance Tonkinson
04-04-2006, 1:30 AM
I have the Craftsman version of Bosch's 1617 evs 2 base router kit and purchased a "universal" base plate by Jasper that accepts porter cable style bushings. It mounts to my fixed router base fine but none of the holes line up with the plunge base. The Jasper plate is also smaller in diameter than the Craftsman plunge base so even drilling new holes would not produce ideal results, especially with one side of the plunge base being flattened for the purpose of following edge guides. (I do not know if Bosch's version of the plunge base has the flat side)

Also sears has discontinued the bushing set designed to fit their proprietary vesion of the router base plates. So short of milling my own baseplate, does anyone know of a product out there that will allow me to use porter cable style bushings with my plunge base?

If my only option is to make my own, how do i go about it and what material should I use? (i.e. making sure that the bushing and the circumference are centered and truly round, what to drill out recess for bushing with, etc.)

Thanks for any help.

P.S. why would Sears sell a router with proprietary baseplate design and then not sell bushings to fit such design? They are triangular with screw mounting.

Dave Fifield
04-04-2006, 4:43 AM
Lance, welcome to the creek. How long have you had the router? Can you take it back? If I were you, I'd return it with predjudice and then buy one elsewhere that you can get the bushings for (e.g. Porter Cable). Of course, it is possible to make your own - probably from Lexan - but why go to all the trouble?

Dave F.

Todd Davidson
04-04-2006, 5:49 AM
Hi Lance~

I'm running late this morning so check out: www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32189 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32189). I use this set quite a bit so feel free to PM me with any questions.

In Peace, Todd

Dick Latshaw
04-04-2006, 10:37 AM
If my only option is to make my own

Instead of making your own, get a new base from the routerman - Pat Warner. That's what I did. He will cut the opening to fit Porter Cable bushings if you ask.

Lee Schierer
04-04-2006, 1:01 PM
I just upgraded my old craftsman router to accept freud template bushings. I had a friend at work turn a new base plate on a lathe, using 1/4" lexan. So far it has worked well.

The older craftsman template bushings had a large round disc with 3 screws. They only fit craftsman style routers, but then back then Craftsman was about the only router around at an afforadable price.

Barry O'Mahony
04-04-2006, 1:25 PM
Pat Warner would be the best. Or, I put one of these on my old Ryobi router: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=4856

Many of the C'man routers are OEM'd from Ryobi; perhaps the Ryobi guides will work on these. Although coming up with a solution that'll work with standard Porter Cable bushings would be the best.

Roger Fitzsimonds
04-04-2006, 1:37 PM
Lance if you are near a Woodcraft you might take a look at this setup. I put it on my old 1.5 hp craftsman.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5020

Good luck
Roger