PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice-Hollowmaster?

Chris DiCiaccio
04-03-2006, 11:32 PM
Ok folks, I need your advice. I picked up a Sorby rs230kt Hollowmaster today. Haven't used it yet. Did a search and found some negative posts on it. (probably should have done the search first) Should I take it back and if so what would you recommend instead? Anyone just love this tool and recommend I keep it?

Jim Bell
04-04-2006, 12:33 AM
Hi Chris, I use the David Ellsworth gouge. It sells for about $100.00. I turned a bowl the other day using no other tool but that one. There is a video I would highly reccommend that Ellsworth explains how to properly use the tool. The bowl I turned is thin enough to see light through and required very little sanding. I honestly know nothing about the hollow master.
Jim

Curtis O. Seebeck
04-04-2006, 1:43 AM
Chris,

I have the Hollowmaster and like it just fine. Granted, I do not have any experience with anything else so I might just not know what I am missing! I read some info that Carole posted a while back where she suggested flipping the straight cutter to the other side than is show in the instructions. that seems to work much better. I have had great success with mine and ues the round cutter head to finish the inside of bowls as well as hollowforms. I have never had any problem with it and find it quite useful. My only gripe is that it does require a larger entry hole then some others but that is not too big of a deal with my skill level right now.

John Hart
04-04-2006, 7:01 AM
I'll Echo what Curtis says. I like mine very much but I can't use it on a small entry hole. It takes a bit of getting used to, but perserverance wins the day in this case. My only real complaint is dealing with catches. As the hollowform fills with shavings, the chance for grabbiness increases, so you have to be sure to clear those shavings. I use the round cutter more than the straight cutter.