PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Scraper needed ?

Howie French
04-03-2006, 8:58 PM
I am pretty new to turning and I am most interested in turning bowls.
As of now I am primarily using a bowl gouge (fingernail grind). I also have a 1/2 round nose scraper that I sometimes use to smooth out the inside bottom.

I am considering getting a bowl scraper thinking it will help me finish the inside of the bowl. Is this tool worth getting or should I just get better with the bowl gouge. I don't want to spend the money if this is something that I shouldn't need.

How do you guys finish off the inside of your bowls.

Howie

Mark Cothren
04-03-2006, 9:14 PM
Hey Howie,

I'm still relatively new to turning, but I use a bowl scraper on probably every bowl I turn. These old hands may not need 'em, but I find it to be a valuable bowl-turning tool. Especially on deeper bowls.

Just my two pennies worth...............................Mark

Pete Jordan
04-03-2006, 10:05 PM
I am also new but this is the scraper that I bought and like it so far.
http://www.woodchipshome.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WC&Product_Code=2563W&Category_Code=SC

David Fried
04-03-2006, 10:13 PM
I am also new but this is the scraper that I bought and like it so far.

Pete,

Is that a bowl scraper? Round nose, square, etc. I understand - I'm just not clear on what a bowl scraper is. Thanks.

John Hart
04-03-2006, 10:19 PM
Howie, I use a 1.25" round nose scraper to sweep lightly through the bottom. I like it.:)

Keith Burns
04-03-2006, 10:26 PM
Pete,

Is that a bowl scraper? Round nose, square, etc. I understand - I'm just not clear on what a bowl scraper is. Thanks.

Bowl scrapers are much heavier (thicker and wider) that standard scrapers. But the most important tool is the 80 grit gouge.

Pete Jordan
04-03-2006, 10:31 PM
Pete,

It's what it is advertised as and yes it is heavy.

Pete

Howie French
04-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Peter, yes that is what I had in mind.... something that I can sweep from the bottom up along the side.

Mark is this similar to what you use ?

I am assuming wider and thicker is good

Howie

Andy Hoyt
04-03-2006, 10:47 PM
Howie - I don't much like scrapers, but that's me. Tyhat said, I do use one now and again. All depends on the circumstances. If you do get one. Buy a big thick heavy one like Pete showed. Get it un-handled. Turn your own handle - make it far longer and thicker than you think you should and use a billet as dense and as heavy as you can find.

Dennis Peacock
04-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Yup....I'm a bowl scraper user as well. I got one that is 3/8" thick and heavy. When I first started using it, it was a bit "grabby".....so I done a little research and found that if you grind about a 10º angle on the TOP edge of the bowl scraper and then regrind / sharpen the edge again, it will be a LOT less grabby...like next to no grabbiness at all and you can control it with one hand as long as the handle is tucked under your forearm and with lite passes? Makes the bottom and walls pretty smooth. Remember, when scraping the walls of the bowl? You'll need to put on a nice glove and maybe a rag and hold it against the spinning bowl to dampen the vibrations on the thinner walls of the bowl or you'll get chatter marks. You can limit the severity of the chatter marks by having a fresh edge on the scraper and adjusting the pressure of the scraper to the bowl. Should be very lite touch with a very lite cut.

Confused now? :D

Mark Cothren
04-04-2006, 12:06 AM
Howie,

I use the same one Dennis does. I liked his so I got me one. It's like the one in the link posted, but I think this one is only 1" wide (and 3/8" thick).

Bernie Weishapl
04-04-2006, 12:15 AM
Howie I use a 1 1/2" side scraper that is 3/8" thick. It is a heavy dude but there is no chatter with it. I take it to the grinder and give it a pass before I make my final cut. It cuts it as smooth as a babies bottom.

Howie French
04-04-2006, 8:00 PM
looks like I am in the market for a bowl scraper, I will go after one of the wide and thick ones.

Andy, I like the idea of buying unhandled, who/where as a good selection of unhandled tools ?

NOTE: I am starting anew thread regarding unhandled tools

Howie

George Conklin
04-04-2006, 8:13 PM
How do you guys finish off the inside of your bowls.

Howie

Speaking for only myself mind you, "poorly"!

Jim Ketron
04-04-2006, 11:02 PM
I use my bowl scraper often.
Nice for that last smoothing up on the inside of bowls.
Im fond of my Sorby its 1" wide and 1/2" thick.
The thicker the better;)

Jim Becker
04-04-2006, 11:53 PM
I very rarely use a scraper on the inside of a bowl, but sometimes it's handy to have a heavy bowl scraper for an uncooperative piece of wood.