PDA

View Full Version : Copper Sheet

Byron Trantham
08-17-2003, 2:04 PM
Anyone know where I might buy some copper sheet? Needs to be about 35x35" and suitable for forming a roof. Yup, a roof. I built a coin meter box for our home owners association [they operate the tennis court lights at night - if you have the coins]. It's in the form of house meant to be very similar in architecture to the club house. I was going to use the same asphalt shingles used on the club house but they won't work. Looks out of place AND they won't bend around the pitch I created. [that's another story.] Anyway I want to use cooper to "seal" the roof.

All this said, maybe one of you have another alternative to "shingle" this thing. We live in Northern VA - very hot and humid and pretty cold in the winter. At this juncture I can consider anything. This is what it looks like now:

Dan Barber
08-17-2003, 2:22 PM
Byron,

Check with a commercial roofing supplier - the kind that does banks and office buildings. They may have some scrap pieces of 16oz copper sheet that they will sell cheaply.

The one I checked with when I needed some gave me a piece 16" x" 20" for free.

Good Luck,

Dan

Byron Trantham
08-17-2003, 2:29 PM
thanks for the lead. I'll look in the yellow pages.

Jim Young
08-17-2003, 2:48 PM
Would good old fashioned cedar shingles work?

Steve Evans
08-17-2003, 3:43 PM
Byron

I used to buy flat sheets of copper from metal suppliers that I found in the yellow pages. One of the chains around us is the metal supermarket. Not exactly wholesale prices but for a small project it would fit the bill.

Ken Garlock
08-17-2003, 4:53 PM
Byron, give the metals affiliate of Northern Tool a try. There website is:
http://www.northerntool.com/affiliates/onlinemetals/ .

They have what you want, 36"x36", in 24 gauge for about $22.

Standard disclaimers apply :)

Bobby Hatfield
08-17-2003, 9:15 PM
Byron check out this place, I order from them, good service and quick.
http://www.onlinemetals.com/

Phil Phelps
08-17-2003, 9:25 PM
That would last ten minutes here. Crack heads could get five dollars for it at the recycle center :( I think a tile roof would look fashionable. Wouldn't turn green. Good luck.

Jim Becker
08-17-2003, 9:38 PM
MSC sells sheet copper...I bought some a couple of years ago for a birdhouse project...that is still on the project list. :D But also check your yellow pages for folks who fabricate sheet metal. The outfit that made my custom range hood vent duct also do copper work, for example, primarily for roofing applications.