PDA

View Full Version : Banged-up TS arbor. What do I do now?

Michael Kenning
04-03-2006, 8:53 PM
My 6 month old Ridgid TS-3650 had been great, but when I recently changed the blade out with a stacked dado and used some metal shims to get the right width, it ate into the arbor. I won't admit to being perfectly careful with the blade as I took it off, but I didn't bang it around with a hammer, either. Now, I can't get the arbor nut past the spot where the arbor is gouged. I'm afraid to do anything more forceful for fear of tearing it up even more.

Could one of the more experienced woodworkers out there help me figure out my next step? Do I have to take it to my local Ridgid service center for repair, or is there a simpler fix?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Corey Pionk
04-03-2006, 9:11 PM
You can easily change out the arbor yourself if you mechanically inclined to do so if not take it to repair center. And if you do it yourself you will have to take the saw apart and you will have to realign everything when done. A new arbor shouldn't cost to much. You will have to remove the table and the cradle trunnion assembly to get at it. Also you may need a press to push out the arbor after you remove the retaining ring. I've replaced the arbor on my old craftman emerson saw which is basically the same saw you have just a different name.

Russ Massery
04-03-2006, 9:20 PM
You can use what's called a thread file.or a Die to chase the threads.A die is used to cut threads. You'll need to know what thread size the arbor is Most likely 5/8-11.

hope it helps ,Russ

Richard Wolf
04-03-2006, 10:18 PM
It most likely is an acme thread so you will not easily find a die or thread file to match, but a small jewelers file or saw file or Japaness feather file may work to restore your threads.

Richard

Bruce Page
04-03-2006, 10:49 PM
Time to invest in a small set of jeweler files. It shouldn't be too difficult to repair. As Richard said, it is probably an ACME thread (square shaped thread) and left hand to boot. Just find the damaged area and clean it up with the file(s), taking no more off than you have to, be sure to check it often with the nut.
Of course, remember to unplug the saw first.

Ben Roman
04-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Does your TS3650 Have the newest arbor ?? There are reported problems with the TS3650 Arbor. You can read about it at http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2353&highlight=ts3650+arbor I love my TS3650 after the Arbor Replacement.

Ben

Michael Kenning
04-03-2006, 11:57 PM
Does your TS3650 Have the newest arbor ?? There are reported problems with the TS3650 Arbor. You can read about it at http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2353&highlight=ts3650+arbor I love my TS3650 after the Arbor Replacement.

Ben

I read through a bunch of threads on arbors and the TS-3650 before I posted here and found out about the arbor problems. Mine seems fine, but it was manufactured late last year and most of the saws that had that problem were made in 2004. Thanks for the link, though!

--Michael

Michael Kenning
04-04-2006, 12:00 AM
Time to invest in a small set of jeweler files. It shouldn't be too difficult to repair. As Richard said, it is probably an ACME thread (square shaped thread) and left hand to boot. Just find the damaged area and clean it up with the file(s), taking no more off than you have to, be sure to check it often with the nut.
Of course, remember to unplug the saw first.

Thanks, Bruce! I'm going to look into the jeweller's files first thing. I'm assuming that ACME threads can't be repaired with a die because of the shape?

Thanks to everyone who answered my question. I've learned a great deal in such a short time. Thank you.

--Michael

Joe Chritz
04-04-2006, 12:02 AM
I have had problems with my arbor getting "sticky" after installing a dado set. I assumed the arbor hole on the dado was a bit small but I think now it is something similar to what you have.

Like others mentioned already a small file is the easiest fix.

Good luck

Maybe its time for me to look at a replacement arbor. Maybe I'll replace it with the one on the SawStop or a new Uni. :D Wonder if I can slip that by Mamma.

Joe

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-04-2006, 9:39 AM
Like they say: Take a little file to that sucker clean it just enough so the nut threads on nicely and forget about it.

Jason White
11-28-2006, 5:56 PM
The exact same thing happened to me on the exact same saw. The dado shims got "sucked" into the stack and mangled the arbor threads. Which tells me the arbor is crap, but oh well.

The fix for me was to "chase" the threads with a small file until I could loosen and tighten the arbor nut by hand again.

Hope that helps!

JW

Bob Wingard
11-28-2006, 7:06 PM
Try putting a dab of lapping or valve-grinding compound on the arbor threads, then repeatedly screw the nut on & off .. .. if it's not too badly damaged, the grit will cut the high spot down in a few tries. Be sure to clean all of the compound off of both the arbor and the nut when finished.

Tom Wilkinson
11-29-2006, 2:26 PM
I've discovered the same problem that the TS-3650 has on my 36-717 Delta hybrid saw. The threads on the arbor stop short of the flange. After contacting Delta customer service they said that it wasn't a warranty issue and that they couldn't confirm that the Freud dado blade I'm using is compatible with the saw. I don't believe any of what Delta CS said.

Anyway, I've ordered a new arbor from Delta and waiting on delivery. Has anyone changed out an arbor on one of these hybrids that can give me direction?

Thank you in advance!

Tom