PDA

View Full Version : Making custom picture frames?

Josh Goldsmith
04-03-2006, 7:22 PM
Hello all! One of my friends is an artist. He asked me to start making some of his frames. I was wondering how do you some of those really decrotive style frames. I know that is a very broad question. I have the basic router bit sets but do they make any special ones for picture frames or how about a "how to book". Any kind of advise would be very appreciated. Thanks Josh

Michael Ballent
04-03-2006, 7:45 PM
Depends on how decorative you want to get ;) if it's just a profile run then you can do it with various router bits to build up the profile that you want. If you are looking at creating dentil (sp?) type molding then you are looking at a bit more work. Then there are the carved type frames and those are done with a CNC or a very skilled person :D There are folks on the forum that make frames for a living (or make a lot of frames) but they are production shops so they have some pricey specialty machinery to facilitate frame constructions.

The basic steps would be to route the profile(s)
Cut the rabbet where the glass/art would be placed
have a deadly accurate way to cut the miters and
join the mitered joints

:D

James Biddle
04-03-2006, 9:34 PM
Depends on how decorative you want to get ;) if it's just a profile run then you can do it with various router bits to build up the profile that you want. If you are looking at creating dentil (sp?) type molding then you are looking at a bit more work. Then there are the carved type frames and those are done with a CNC or a very skilled person :D There are folks on the forum that make frames for a living (or make a lot of frames) but they are production shops so they have some pricey specialty machinery to facilitate frame constructions.

The basic steps would be to route the profile(s)
Cut the rabbet where the glass/art would be placed
have a deadly accurate way to cut the miters and
join the mitered joints

:D

Wouldn't it be better to cut the rabbit first? I'm thinking in terms of a moulder/shaper setup.

Michael Ballent
04-04-2006, 1:25 PM
It would depend on the situation. There is still setup involved with each switch of tooling. My thinking is that the "show" side needs to be machined much better than what would be hidden. So the profiles have to be done much more precisely than the rabbet. If there is too much chatter from the profile cuts, the setup is still in place to repeat the cut if needed, chatter is not as important if its going to be hidden my the matt or painting. There is never one right way to get things done :D

Wouldn't it be better to cut the rabbit first? I'm thinking in terms of a moulder/shaper setup.

Lee Schierer
04-04-2006, 4:52 PM
I asked the same question a few years ago. I found one book since then at either a Woodcraft or Rockler store that had some diagrams showing how to make different profiles of frames and the steps needed to do it. I'm at work, so I can't tell you the title of the book. Even it wasn't a great deal of help. My web site shows some of the ones I've made. If any look interesting send me a note and maybe I can walk you through how I made them.

Fred Voorhees
04-04-2006, 10:47 PM
It's funny that you should ask. I just hung some of the oak and walnut shadow box style picture frames tonight in my bar room. Very simple to do, yet look pretty darned nice if I have to say so myself. I will be posting pics within a day or so when they are all up.

mark koopman
04-05-2006, 12:17 AM
Hi here is a diagram of one of my favorite frame styles. It is very simple to make and cut but looks very professional and clean.

Cut 1 is made with a rabetting bit in a router

Cut 2 is made with a chamfer bit on the router table

Cut 3 is made on the Table Saw with the blade angled slightly and a jig to hold the piece safe and upright while i push it through.

Here is a finished frame I didi the picture dont do it justice but you get the idea

Lee Schierer
04-05-2006, 7:44 PM
Okay, I found the book I mentioned in my first post. It is called" Making Picture Frames in Wood" by Manly Banister I think I paid about $12 for it.http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0806975423/sr=8-1/qid=1144280260/ref=sr_1_1/104-4029717-4420726?%5Fencoding=UTF8