PDA

View Full Version : Barometer/Clock Nautical Mount

Kyle Stiefel
04-03-2006, 3:23 PM
Hello,

A friend of mine had asked if I could attach a barometer and clock set in MDF mounts to some brass frames. I thought sure, but I couldn't leave at just attaching the rims to the mounts so this is what I came up with.

- routed the the baraometer and clock mounts to fit the brass frames
-walnut/ash mounting
-hemp rope
-brass wire ties

I told him I thought a nice solid brass hanging hook would be the optimal way to hang the piece. This was my attempt at the nautical type thing, he was pleased and I was happy to have helped.

Kyle

Lee Schierer
04-03-2006, 3:49 PM
Nice looking project. You realize that a true sailor would never hang a precision instrument that way. :D The rocking of the ship would tear it apart in no time. Our barometers were always secured right to the bulkhead (wall for you non-nautical types). Our Chronometers were in a protected wooden case mounted on gimbals. Does the clock chine in naval bells?

Kyle Stiefel
04-03-2006, 4:47 PM
Nice looking project. You realize that a true sailor would never hang a precision instrument that way. :D The rocking of the ship would tear it apart in no time. Our barometers were always secured right to the bulkhead (wall for you non-nautical types). Our Chronometers were in a protected wooden case mounted on gimbals. Does the clock chine in naval bells?

Lee,
Nope, no chiming of naval bells. This project was for his office so it more for esthetics and not to be used in a functional setting. He is retired coast guard so I am sure he wouldn't try to mount it on one of his boats.

Thanks for looking.
Kyle

Vaughn McMillan
04-03-2006, 4:53 PM
Very cool. Kyle. It's nice to be able to deliver more than what was requested. I'm sure your friend was happy.

- Vaughn

Tom Pritchard
04-03-2006, 8:04 PM
Great job Kyle! I really like the way the rope that you have strung through the piece, as well as the brass ties, give it a real "nautical" feel! Very creative job. Nice work.

BTW, I was looking at the map to see where Sitka, Alaska was, and it looks like you are about 90 miles south of Glacier Bay. Is that right? I hope to see Glacier Bay someday, as well as Denali. What a great part of the USA!

Kyle Stiefel
04-03-2006, 10:58 PM
BTW, I was looking at the map to see where Sitka, Alaska was, and it looks like you are about 90 miles south of Glacier Bay. Is that right? I hope to see Glacier Bay someday, as well as Denali. What a great part of the USA!

Tom,

That is correct there on the west side of Baranof Island. It is an incredible place with about the only down side of getting things here, aka hardwood, tools, etc. I haven't actually been to Rochester but did spend a few weeks in the finger lake region, it is a rather nice there as well.

Kyle