PDA

View Full Version : Prices for used machinery

Eric Commarato
04-03-2006, 3:01 PM
I have a friend who wants to sell several machines and various tools. All of the machinery are late models, 5-10 years old, with minimal use. Most of the machinery is quality equipment, Powermatic, Delta, and Mini Max. What would be a good rule of thumb for comming up with a sales price for the equipment? I was thinking 75% of the original value. For instance if a table saw retailed for 2,000 bucks, 75% of the original value would be 1,500 bucks. Any help would be appreciated. Most of the equipment has seen probably less than 100-200 hours.

thanks,

Eric

Matt Meiser
04-03-2006, 4:29 PM
Usually people say 1/2 to 2/3 of new. Personally, I'd just buy new if the used price was 75% of new.

Jerry Crawford
04-03-2006, 6:47 PM
Right - I will pay up to half for a previously owned tool even if it's still looking new. If it's higher than that I'll skip it because at new, or close to new (like at Tool King refurbished stuff), prices I'll get a warranty at any tool store.

Michael Ballent
04-03-2006, 6:50 PM
Put it up on e-prey and you will probably get more than you paid for it ;) but seriously. The Delta, Powermatic stuff will probably not hold as much value as compared to the Mini-Max equipment. So 2/3 to 1/2 of new for the domestic stuff and maybe 75% for the Mini-Max, since it's all about supply and demand :D

Lee DeRaud
04-03-2006, 6:51 PM
Usually people say 1/2 to 2/3 of new. Personally, I'd just buy new if the used price was 75% of new.Also depends if you're talking X% of list price or X% of "best-deal" retail:
I've seem some pretty amazing price ranges, especially since Amazon got into the game.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-03-2006, 8:25 PM
Ditto on the E-Bay suggestion. Idiots bid things way up. I have seen things selling used for more than they retail brand new. The buyer still has to pay shipping.

Mike Priest
04-03-2006, 8:59 PM
Most of those companies are not worth anything, send me the address and I will come pick them up for you so you dont have to pay to dispose of them.

(just kidding)

1/2 price is probably all I would pay for anything used.

lou sansone
04-03-2006, 9:44 PM
50 to 60 % of new is all I have been able to get on machines more than a year old. But .... for super high quality older iron ( oliver, tannewitz, moak & Newman ) you can actually get more than the original price... another good reason to buy old iron

lou

Ron Jones near Indy
04-03-2006, 9:56 PM
I would pay 50% of street price if the machine was "good". If practically new, I might go 60%.

Brian Ross
04-03-2006, 11:44 PM
What equipment does he have for sale? The curiosity is killing me.
Brian

Joe Chritz
04-04-2006, 12:08 AM
too.

I would pay 50% of decent retail on an 8" jointer. After face jointing a bunch of boards today I could have really used a little more width.

Do I hear a road trip coming? Where's my toga?

Joe

Charles McKinley
04-04-2006, 10:42 AM
I use 40 to 60% as a rule of thumb maximum I'm willing to pay for stuff. I agree with the ebay suggestion. Start it at what the minimum he will take put in good pics and good descriptions and I'm willing to bet that they sell well.