PDA

View Full Version : Bar stock (round) tool rests

Jeff Horton
04-03-2006, 9:55 AM
Just read something on a non-turning list I am on that surprised me. Many of the folks on there don't like or think people don't like the round bar stock tool rest. I am looking for some new ones. Was about to see if I could weld some up (been years since I welded).

So what is the opinion on these?

Michael Cody
04-03-2006, 10:24 AM
Don't like them.. no place to rest you fingers when doing a cut. (I guess I could make one with a round top)... the flair under the normal tool rest helps you control the cut -- works fine for me. Also you can't get a round rest as close as a flat rest and that little 1/4" makes me more comfortable I guess..

Overall I just touch my regular rest w/a file once in a while plus a little wax, seems to work for me.

Chris Barton
04-03-2006, 10:30 AM
Hi Jeff,

I don't care for them either. What Mike said is true for me as well. Also, since they are round the point of fulcrum (where the tool rests on the round piece) is further away from the work since it is round. A really good rest allows you to get the point of fulcrum as close as possible to the wood your are turning.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-03-2006, 10:37 AM
Jeff........I'm sure others will tell me it's the new guy in me but I plan on buying one. My one big complaint about my Jet Mini is the "short" 6" rest. I'm gearing up to make a couple of shaker style pedestal tables and I wished my rest was 12" or even 18". I'm seriously looking at purchasing one of the round 12" tool rests that will fit my Mini.

Bernie Weishapl
04-03-2006, 10:40 AM
I had 3 of the round ones built out of stainless steel and like them. The rests that came with the lathe don't seem to hold up especially when you get into some rough turning. Alway taking a file to them.

Dennis Peacock
04-03-2006, 11:19 AM
I have some round ones and REALLY like them. They don't ding, the give me more flexability on tool angle presentation and no sharp edges to deal with. Easier on my tools as well. I got the modular set from Lee Valley and lover them. Can't say I'm real pleased with the curved rests....Just haven't seen a curved rest that I like yet.

Jim Ketron
04-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Love them for bowl and hollow form work. I agree with Dennis on how they work! I made mine from cold roll work great for me.

John Miliunas
04-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Round ones are all I have for my big Vega. I have the flat ones on my spindle lathe and would like to replace those w/round ones, as well. As Dennis & Jim point out, I feel they're more flexible and I seem to have fewer "catches". :o Largely, I think it's a matter of what you get used to. :) :cool:

Ed Scolforo
04-03-2006, 7:23 PM
Dennis, I hope your wife isn't jealous:D :D .

[quote=Dennis Peacock] I got the modular set from Lee Valley and lover them.

Bob Noles
04-03-2006, 7:43 PM
Since getting my round rests, I don't think I could ever go back to the old style..... Like Dennis said.... I lover mine too :D :D :D

George Conklin
04-03-2006, 8:22 PM
I really enjoy turning with the round rests. As far as I'm concerned, it's one the best additions I've made to my lathe. Mine are made from stainless and are very smooth. I plan to buy more.

Dennis Peacock
04-03-2006, 10:49 PM
Dennis, I hope your wife isn't jealous:D :D .

[quote=Dennis Peacock] I got the modular set from Lee Valley and lover them.

OK....ok...so I can't type. :rolleyes:
But, I'm working on a set of pics now and will post them by Thursday night to prove that my fingers may not can type what I'm thinking, but my hands will listen to me when I tell them to do sumpin. :D

Corey Hallagan
04-03-2006, 10:51 PM
I have a six inch one made in a welding shop. I love it!

Corey

Travis Stinson
04-03-2006, 11:13 PM
I use my standard rest most of the time, but have several round ones, plus some curved, that I made. I really like the curved rests.

Mark Cothren
04-03-2006, 11:29 PM
Well I have a pair of Ketron custom round rests and I use them exclusively. I have a straight one and a curved one. I like 'em a lot. I've never had to hunt for a place to put my hand/fingers???

Pat Salter
04-05-2006, 12:30 AM
I have a friend who made a few for me and I love them. All I had before was a 12"er and sometimes it would get in the way, if you know what I mean
:rolleyes:

Cody Colston
04-05-2006, 10:03 AM
A couple of years back I was feverishly turning pens and bowls for Christmas gifts when the OEM tool rest broke.

I didn't have time to order one before Christmas, so I took the pieces down to a local welding shop to be repaired. Since they were cast, the guy there talked me into letting him make a new one out of 1" cold roll.

I had him make two, a 6" and a 12". They cost me a total of $20 and I'm still using them.