View Full Version : Timberline + Unisaw = A Quandry

Eric Shields
04-03-2006, 9:44 AM
The Quandry

I recently discovered and eventually found here than many of you have taken advantage of the deal at Timeberline on the Detla X5 Unisaw. I was wondering how and/or why Timeberline is able to do this when everyone else is selling at least $200+ more?? I know Timberline isn't offering the free mobile base (that I have seen on other sites), the rebate/free tool offer is valid, and most everyone is offering free shipping. Is the price difference due to the mobile base, or is there something I'm not catching??

Why do I ask?????

I am trying to convince myself to justify the conversation with SWMBO and going back on my word about purchasing new tools before my shop is even complete (I'm just starting to finish the basement walls and not even close to having the electrical run yet). But at this price and free shipping, well ya know :rolleyes:

The Aftermath, IF the conversation takes place AND is successful :confused:

1) I'll have the saw I've been drooling over for at least a year at a price I've never seen it at :)

2) I don't have the electrical in the shop, so it will be a paper weight for a while :rolleyes: But I'll have the saw I've been drooling over for at least a year :)

3) The shop funds will be extremely limited (probably until the saw is paid off) for the near future, so the transformation progress will be at a stand still :( But I'll have the saw I've been drooling over for at least a year :)

4) I'll have an example for the electrician of the type of equipment that will eventually be throughout the empty space that is currently my shop :) and I'll have the saw I've been drooling over for at least a year :)

What would you do, your opinions are appreciated :p

Eric

Charles McKinley
04-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Hi Eric,

A $200 savings vs the compleation of your shop coming to a standstill is not woth it in my opinion. The eletrician can get all the information he needs from any catalog or sales flyer. Getting the shop finished ans start making stuff with what you have will win over SWMBO. The time it takes to finish the shop can be used to keep looking for a good used saw in your area.

I think a new saw sitting there not being able to use it because the funds to complete your shop are tied up in and unusable form rusting in a storgage area will be frustrating to you and a point of contention for SWMBO.

Just my $0.02

Michael Gabbay
04-03-2006, 11:58 AM
I agree with Charles. There will be other "deals" in the future. Even if you don't get it at the $200 savings, it's better to get the shop finished and work with the tools that you have.

Yes, its easy for us to say hold or buy! ;)

my 2 cents...

Mike

Michael Gibbons
04-03-2006, 1:10 PM
BUY IT !!!

Mike

Anthony Anderson
04-03-2006, 6:37 PM
Eric, I would not buy the saw right now. I know that it is tempting, because you are getting a good deal, but since it is causing concern, I would wait. Just like the others said the 'deals' will come along again. You mentioned after you pay it off, if you don't buy it outright, that "deal" will turn out not to be deal at all. Then the only people who make out on the "deal" will be the credit card company(assuming that is what you mean). And you end up paying several hundred dollars in interest and fees over time. Buy it when you can feel at ease with the decision. Talk to the wife and see if your budget allows you to put $50 a week away for the purchase of the saw, say for six months or so, then you have the money to buy the saw, and you are not pay the credit card company for the next six years. Just my thoughts, Bill

Vaughn McMillan
04-03-2006, 7:13 PM
I'd have to concur with Anthony...the $200 "savings" will be vaporized in only a few months of credit card interest payments (assuming it's going on a card). I learned this lesson the hard way years ago.

- Vaughn

Phil Maddox
04-03-2006, 8:14 PM
Get it! Who knows if the shop costs will allow it afterward.

I have mine and don't regret a minute of it. It sat for two months until I was ready for it but it didin't matter.

Get it!

Good Luck!

Phil