PDA

View Full Version : wood pens....cost to engrave?

Dennis Kotlowski
04-03-2006, 6:44 AM
Hello everyone,

I have a customer that wants his handmade pens engraved for his customers but I am unsure on what to charge per pen. Any help here would be appreciated.

1 line
2 line
1 line with logo
2 line with logo

Denny K

Dave Fifield
04-03-2006, 6:22 PM
Hi Dennis,

The usual rate for lasering seems to be $1 per minute for set up (file tweaking, size setting, alignment/jig making etc.) plus $1 per minute laser run time. For the simple 1 and 2 line stuff with a small logo I'd say it shouldn't take more than about 10 to 15 minutes to set up, and laser time estimates would be:

1 line = 1 minute
2 line = 1.5 minute
1 line+logo = 2.5 minutes
2 line+logo = 3 minutes

These are just my best guess based on work I've done on my laser. Note, I am not bidding on this job - I'm far too busy for that! I'm assuming you have a laser engraver and just want some pointers as to what to charge. Don't forget to include the cost of a few pens as waste (for set up).

Cheers,
Dave F.

Joe Pelonio
04-03-2006, 7:43 PM
Hi Dennis,

The usual rate for lasering seems to be $1 per minute for set up (file tweaking, size setting, alignment/jig making etc.) plus $1 per minute laser run time. Don't forget to include the cost of a few pens as waste (for set up).

Cheers,
Dave F.
That's what I charge, also might suggest using similar diameter dowel for testing/setup before you hit a real pen.

Dennis Kotlowski
04-03-2006, 7:53 PM
Thank you both for your input. Yes....I do have a laser engraver (Epilog Mini18) I was just looking to see how much everyone else is charging. I had figured on $3-$5 per pen...depending on quantity + setup fees. The idea with the dowels is perfect....I never thought of using them. I know I can count on great advice from this forum. Thank you again!!

Dennis Kotlowski Jr.
JD Laser Gifts
www.jdlasergifts.com (http://www.jdlasergifts.com)

Dave Fifield
04-04-2006, 9:07 PM
Dennis, do you have the rotary attachment for your Mini? You can get away with doing one or maybe two lines of small text with the pen in a homemade jig and lasering it "flat", but if you have a logo that subtends an angle of more than about 20 degrees on the pen, you'll need the rotary attachment to laser it cleanly.

Cheers,
Dave F.

Dennis Kotlowski
04-04-2006, 11:02 PM
Dave F.

No....I have not invested in the rotary attachment yet. I have not seen the need for it. Hopefully in the future it will be an add-on I will get

Dennis