PDA

View Full Version : Project: Shaker Tall Clock

joseph j shields
04-03-2006, 12:14 AM
Just finished this project. I'm donating it to my son's school auction. I made the entire clock from 1 piece of maple. (The grain on the sides match-up pretty nicely to the front panel) It stands 7' tall & includes an 8 day German movement.

Straight forward construction. The tricky part was finishing. I usually use an oil based wipe-on finish. But I tested it and it turned the maple too yellow (especially for a piece this big). I tested a water-based poly, but it was too "cold" looking and didn't bring out the grain.

So I ended-up applying a thin coat of water-based poly, followed by 3 coats of oil-based poly. The results brought out the grain without too much yellowing.

Hope the piece brings the school a few bucks.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-03-2006, 12:16 AM
NIce...nice looking clock Joseph!

Martin Shupe
04-03-2006, 12:27 AM
Joseph,

Congratulations on your acceptance into the SMC Shaker Club. I am lobbying for us to get our own board (well, I can wish).;)

Seriously, nice work, very well done. I like it a lot.

Could you name the source, part number, and price of the movement? (Not that I can build one of these tomorrow, but it is on my very long list.)

Let us know how much it goes for at the benefit.

Really excellent work!

Vaughn McMillan
04-03-2006, 1:13 AM
Great job, Joseph. That's a pretty piece of wood, and you did it justice. I'd also like to know how much the school gets in the auction.

- Vaughn

Jim W. White
04-03-2006, 1:16 AM
WOW!!!

That is gorgeous.

Pete Harbin
04-03-2006, 2:02 AM
Really nice Joseph! That's a risky grain pattern to work with and you pulled it off nicely!

Let us know how it does at auction.

Pete

Dan Forman
04-03-2006, 4:02 AM
Spectacular case, I'm sure it will do well.

Dan

William Lewis
04-03-2006, 5:26 AM
That is one cool looking clock. Love the grain of the wood. Also would like to know what it brings at auction

William Lewis

Andy Hoyt
04-03-2006, 6:56 AM
Looks great! Most impressive.

I've come back to look at this piece several times and it's always stuck on 3:42. Did you forget to wind it?:D

David Fried
04-03-2006, 7:07 AM
The clock came out great! The grain matching on the front/sides is wonderful. I bet it does great at the auction!

Richard Wolf
04-03-2006, 7:36 AM
Very nice looking clock. Well done.

Richard

Matt Meiser
04-03-2006, 7:45 AM
Very nice clock. This is on my list of things to build as well.

Eric Shields
04-03-2006, 8:30 AM
Joseph,

Great grain matching/orientation. A beautiful piece that I'm sure will be THE item at the auction. Beautiful work

Eric

John Miliunas
04-03-2006, 8:37 AM
Very well done, my fellow Cheesehead!!! :) So tell us, Joseph: Where in the heck do you come across one board large enough to do that entire project??? :confused: Spectacular! Good job and I'm sure it will bring a handsome sum of $$$$ at the benefit! :) :cool:

Charles Bruno
04-03-2006, 8:42 AM
Joseph,
Nice..I realy like that Maple. How big was that slab of Maple?

Chip Charnley
04-03-2006, 8:57 AM
I don't think the question is where did he find a board that long. Bet it was under 12'. The question is where did he find one that WIDE! Those sides look like they were sliced off either side of the front board. Given that that clock is probably 12" wide and 6" deep, that was at least a 24" wide board and probably quite a bit wider!

Larry Klaaren
04-03-2006, 9:22 AM
Looks great! Most impressive.

I've come back to look at this piece several times and it's always stuck on 3:42. Did you forget to wind it?:D

Andy, that is DST, so it is 2:42 on your watch, just in case you are resetting it each time.

That's a beautiful clock Joseph.

Larry

Jason Tuinstra
04-03-2006, 10:15 AM
Joseph, I agree with Martin's nomination - you're in the club with this one. Excellent job all the way around. You obviously put a lot of thought into wood placement. It shows! Very nice. And the finish looks like it turned out really good. It should raise plenty of money.

Kyle Stiefel
04-03-2006, 12:26 PM
That is a wonderful clock, somebody will have quite the heirloom. You could not have done a better job with the grain matching. Fine work.

Martin Lutz
04-03-2006, 12:46 PM
Wow, that is striking! Nice job!

Kevin Herber
04-03-2006, 2:42 PM
Terrific clock Joseph. While looking at it I kept thinking of my paint brush....

Real Purdy.

-- Kevin

Jerry Olexa
04-03-2006, 8:19 PM
Very nice clock. Excellent wood selection>>>Great all around!

joseph j shields
04-03-2006, 8:21 PM
Martin,

Thanks for the kind words.

I bought the movement from KlockIt (model #13007) It costs about $235.
They have others with just 1 melody for $180.

Here is the link for the movement I used:

http://www.klockit.com/products/sku-BBBBW.html

-jj

joseph j shields
04-03-2006, 8:30 PM
Hey John,

I'm the guy who bought your DeWalt planer... the moderator wouldn't let me use "JJ" so I have to use my full name :-)

The planer works great!

I got the board at Kettle Morraine Hardwoods. It started out at about 12' long, about 17" wide and 2" thick. I had them resaw it.

I then book matched the pieces and started with a trimed piece that was about 30" wide. I then just cut the front piece and side pieces.

The finished size is 12" (front) and 6" (sides).

-jj

joseph j shields
04-03-2006, 8:36 PM
Thanks to all for the kind words...

I'll know how much money they get for the clock this weekend.

I'll post the final bid.

-jj

joseph j shields
04-03-2006, 8:55 PM
To Martin, Jason & other Shaker Fans,

Here is a good link for Shaker ideas:

http://www.danarobes.com

Dana Robes used to do only Shaker furniture... just recently they have expanded. If you call them, they could send you an older catalog which only has Shaker furniture. They have some great designs & excellent ideas. Here is a link to the Shaker pieces they have left:
http://www.danarobes.com/retirement.htm

Here is the next piece I'm building:
http://www.danarobes.com/retired%20pieces/mini.htm

Also, check out their workshops (they are located in Enfield, NH.)

I've been to their 4 day workshop... it was very good. They are located on a Shaker property. (something special about building Shaker furniture on Shaker grounds) In fact the grounds include the largest stone dwelling ever built by the Shakers. (A long time ago the property was a seminary that I attended for 4 years.)

Hope you find this helpful!

-jj

John Buzzurro
04-03-2006, 9:21 PM
Nice clock, Joseph. You did a great job of wrapping the grain around from side to front.

Jim Becker
04-03-2006, 11:54 PM
That's quite a pice, Joseph. And the maple coloration adds a unique look to what is typically a fairly staid piece. Beautiful work.

John D Watson
04-04-2006, 12:05 AM
Stricking Joseph, I really like the grain orientation. I'm sure it will do well, good luck.

Martin Shupe
04-04-2006, 12:15 AM
To Martin, Jason & other Shaker Fans,

Here is the next piece I'm building:
http://www.danarobes.com/retired%20pieces/mini.htm

Also, check out their workshops (they are located in Enfield, NH.)

I've been to their 4 day workshop... it was very good. They are located on a Shaker property. (something special about building Shaker furniture on Shaker grounds) In fact the grounds include the largest stone dwelling ever built by the Shakers. (A long time ago the property was a seminary that I attended for 4 years.)

Hope you find this helpful!

-jj

JJ,

Thanks for the report on the workshop. That piece has been on my list for quite a while, but I am the slowest woodworker in Texas. You had better save a pic on your computer, because when they are gone, I think they will take the photo down. Jason, on the other hand, could have that piece done in two days!:D

joseph j shields
04-04-2006, 9:57 AM
Martin,

FYI, Dana Robes does sell their shop drawings. When I was there I purchased the entire Shaker collection.... about 120 pages!

-jj

Donnie Raines
04-04-2006, 11:03 AM
Nice. The top section looks rather large in scale, did you use a plan for this or was this of your own desgin?

Martin Shupe
04-04-2006, 2:53 PM
Martin,

FYI, Dana Robes does sell their shop drawings. When I was there I purchased the entire Shaker collection.... about 120 pages!

-jj

Thanks JJ, I didn't know that. I'll have to give them a call. There are several pieces of his I would like to build, and shop drawings would make it so much easier!!

Jason Tuinstra
04-04-2006, 4:02 PM
JJ - I tried to respond to your PM, but it seems that it's shut off right now. You might want to check that.

So to answer your question - the drawer fronts are solid maple.

Sorry to everyone else who doesn't have a clue to what I'm talking about ;) I used to that:D :p

joseph j shields
04-05-2006, 4:41 PM
Thanks Jason....

I contacted the webmaster & he fixed the PM problem

-jj

ps where did you get the highly figured maple for the drawer front?

joseph j shields
04-05-2006, 4:53 PM
Nice. The top section looks rather large in scale, did you use a plan for this or was this of your own desgin?

Donnie,

I had to use a wide angle lens on my camera becasue my shop is too small (hey... is this a good reason to get bigger shop:) ? Do you think my wife would agree:mad: ?) Any how, the lens makes the head look a little large.

The overall design and scale is based on a Dana Robes Shaker clock...

-jj

Donnie Raines
04-05-2006, 4:56 PM
Thanks for the reply. I wish you luck in getting the Mrs. to agree to a new shop.:cool:

Ralph Okonieski
04-05-2006, 7:54 PM
Nicely done! Beautiful work.