PDA

View Full Version : Bessey K-body clamp rack (Pics)

Joe Mioux
04-02-2006, 10:29 PM
Here is another version of a clamp rack. This is a derivation on Bruce Page's aluminum clamp rack.

I wanted to make this out of Al, however, I didn't have a milling machine to cut the groove and I really didn't want to try to route this out.

So I made mine out of wood. The dimensions come from Bruce's plan.

Joe Mioux
04-02-2006, 10:32 PM
here are a few more shots. Thanks Bruce!

Bruce Page
04-02-2006, 11:42 PM
Chicken! :D

Seriously, nice rack! I bet it was a heck of a lot easier to build than using your PC portable band saw on the aluminum angle!

Pete Harbin
04-02-2006, 11:46 PM
Looks good Joe! Sure beats my system of leaning my shorter ones againgst the wall!

Pete

Joe Mioux
04-03-2006, 5:18 AM
Chicken! :D

Seriously, nice rack! I bet it was a heck of a lot easier to build than using your PC portable band saw on the aluminum angle!

LOL, I am only half way finished. Still have to make another one. If I go the Al route. I think I will have the welding shop mill the slot. And as we all know, you can never have enough clamps so this is just a start, not the end!:)

Joe

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-03-2006, 5:26 AM
Joe, with a sharp bit the aluminium mills just fine with a hand held router, it is really noisy, and the flying chips are a tad hot :rolleyes: but it works fine.

Nice rack anyway you cut it (geez, I just said "Nice rack to a guy...!" ;) :D )

Cheers!

Matt Meiser
04-03-2006, 7:52 AM
LOL, I am only half way finished. Still have to make another one. If I go the Al route. I think I will have the welding shop mill the slot. And as we all know, you can never have enough clamps so this is just a start, not the end!:)

Joe

I was just about to say that I noticed a major problem--no room for expansion, but you've got that covered. :D

Mark Pruitt
04-03-2006, 8:04 AM
Nice rack anyway you cut it (geez, I just said "Nice rack to a guy...!" ;) :D )

Cheers!

ROFL!!!:p

I should have my new rack completed tonight or tomorrow. Will post a pic when done. Being forewarned of the risks, I'll echo what Stu said, "nice rack"! :D

Mark

George Kretschmann
04-03-2006, 8:31 AM
I'm glad you did that...My next project will be the same. I have all my clamps all over the shop upside down, sideways you name it. It looks good and you can never have too many clamps.:D

Thomas Walker
04-03-2006, 9:27 AM
From the overhead view it looks like there is a dowel through the end of the bar.

Did you glue the dowel to the clamp bar, or is it loose and you insert it when hanging it on the rack?

Jason Tuinstra
04-03-2006, 10:11 AM
Joe, looks nice. For years I didn't have a good place to put my clamps. A nice place to store them makes all the difference. Good job.

Steve Clardy
04-03-2006, 10:12 AM
Looks good!!

Joe Mioux
04-03-2006, 11:11 AM
From the overhead view it looks like there is a dowel through the end of the bar.

Did you glue the dowel to the clamp bar, or is it loose and you insert it when hanging it on the rack?

Hi Thomas,

That is just a wooden dowel. It is loose. I may change that over to a threaded rod - screw two nuts on it to lock it in place and them place a plastic cap on the ends.

I believe Bruce Page welded a short piece through his holes. He has the older models without the plastic feet.

Since I wanted to keep the plastic foot, I just routed out a wider groove.

Joe

Bruce Page
04-03-2006, 2:35 PM
Hi Thomas,
I believe Bruce Page welded a short piece through his holes. He has the older models without the plastic feet.
JoeActually, I just drilled mine and installed a ¼” dia. X 1” roll pin on my “older clamps" ;)