PDA

View Full Version : Pen turning question

dennis kranz
04-02-2006, 8:32 PM
How long are most of the blanks that have to be drilled? My drill press only does 2 inch. I know thats not long enough. If I am going to replace it how long is long enough?
Dennis

Bernie Weishapl
04-02-2006, 8:39 PM
I just measured and most of my pen blanks are 5 1/2" overall. Half that would be 2 3/4". My old drill press goes 3". If you have the brass inserts that go inside of the pen blanks give them a measure and see what they are.

Corey Hallagan
04-02-2006, 9:05 PM
My new drill press has a shorter run than my old one. Around 2 inches I think. I just drill the half blank and then raise it up inside the blank and stick a scrap underneath and drill out the rest of the way. That way you don't blow out the bottom as well.

Corey

Chris Barton
04-02-2006, 10:44 PM
A drill press with a 3" depth of cut is fine. I cut my blanks to fit the individual tubes first, then drill them out. As best I can remember, there are very few pen kits that require a tube longer than 3".

dennis kranz
04-02-2006, 10:56 PM
Thanks guys, Thats what I needed to know.
Dennis

Dick Strauss
04-03-2006, 2:08 PM
Dennis,
I don't think this suggestion will cover all pen kits. I use a DP with 2.5" of throw that I received as a gift. It is just enough to drill the std 7mm PSI kits that use a 2.25" blanks. If I had it buy myself and cost wasn't really an issue, I'd consider something with at least 3.5" of travel.

Rich Stewart
04-03-2006, 5:26 PM
Don't forget the kind of chuck that goes in your tailstock. Drill perfect holes without having to buy the vises and such. And it will drill as deep as your drill bit. If you wanted it to. I only drill sections already cut to length.

Goes in your tailstock? Did i say that?

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
04-03-2006, 7:38 PM
Don't forget the kind of chuck that goes in your tailstock. Drill perfect holes without having to buy the vises and such. And it will drill as deep as your drill bit. If you wanted it to. I only drill sections already cut to length.

Goes in your tailstock? Did i say that?

Hi Rich,

I horizontal drill on my lathe as well, I use a Talon chuck on my head stock to hold the blank and I use the tail stock with a Jacobs chuck to drill the blank, dead on centre every time,

take care,
Jim

Mike Vickery
04-03-2006, 7:46 PM
I also drill on my lathe using spiggot jaws on my talon and a jacobs chuck in my tail stock.

Before I had my chuck if the travel was not long enough on my drill press I just drilled as far as I could go then raised my DP table a little using the already drilled hole and the drill bit to make sure that everything is centered.