PDA

View Full Version : St. Basils the Box in Spalted Ash

Cody Colston
04-02-2006, 7:26 PM
I liked Mike's Russian spire box so well I made one for myself. I didn't have any of that stunning Masur Birch but did have some spalted Ash. It's 5 1/2" tall x 2 3/4" at the base. Finished with Mylands friction polish.

I coated the inside with some "wine colored" Suede Tex that I had left over from a flat work project.

Mike, I hope you aren't offended at my imitation although I noticed the top on mine was more pointy. I was going from memory and mine is starting to go (it's the 2nd thing, too). I assure you it will not be sold as LOML has already claimed it.

Dennis Peacock
04-02-2006, 7:33 PM
Very nice work there Cody.!!!! I like it and the spalting really sets it off nicely.

Michael Stafford
04-02-2006, 8:13 PM
Cody, I am flattered beyond belief that you would think that you needed my permission to copy anything. Truth is, the box I turned was inspired by some of Richard Raffan's mosque boxes so I sure don't own the copyright on that form.

I think you did a very nice job and as you discovered that form is not as easy to turn as it looks. A nice looking box and you changed it enough so that is your own, or at least your wife's.

Neat idea to flock the inside. I have never tried that with a turned box but when I make a boo boo I might use that technique to hide some tear out in the bottom if I am unable to smooth it out.

Turn another one!:D

Corey Hallagan
04-02-2006, 8:25 PM
Nice job, I like what you did with that beautiful wood! Nice box.

Corey

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-02-2006, 11:14 PM
Very nice lookin' Cody.

Bruce

John Hart
04-03-2006, 7:59 AM
Nice Job Cody! I love it when someone sees something here and has to run to the shop to try it. There's real growth there.;)

Jim Dunn
04-03-2006, 8:15 AM
Nice job Cody. And you right. Just after you go just about blind-----BAM your memory goes:)

Ernie Nyvall
04-03-2006, 5:55 PM
Nice work Cody. If I were to try and copy something of Mike's, I'd start with pine so I wouldn't feel bad about throwing them all away.

Ernie

Bernie Weishapl
04-03-2006, 6:06 PM
Nice work Cody. I made one like it yesterday but still drying. Great work. Love the spalting.

Keith Burns
04-03-2006, 6:29 PM
Very nice box Cody:) :) The only thing I don't see is your signature:D