PDA

View Full Version : Salad Bowl Finish question

John Miliunas
08-16-2003, 11:55 PM
Following Mike S.'s lead, I tried using Salad Bowl Finish on a cutting board today. I must say, application couldn't be easier and it looks nice. Got two coats on today and figure two more tomorrow should do the trick. Here's the question, though: Salad bowls traditionally won't get quite the abuse that a cutting board will. How does the SB Finish hold up to daily or frequent use? And, is refinishing down the road something which should be done as a matter of course? I've typically used mineral oil for my cutting boards and, although the look isn't quite as classy, they hold up well and "refinishing" is a breeze and easily accomplished by anyone. Appreciate any input, as I plan on making a few more for Christmas presents and "future maintenance" is a concern. :cool:

Mike Schwing
08-17-2003, 9:15 AM
Hey John, glad it worked out for you! While I can't comment on it for a bowl, I've used the finish on quite a few other things and it survives quite well - I used it on a inside the vehicle bike rack I built and it gets a good bit of abuse - still looks good.

I have refinished a cutting board or two with nothing more than a cabinet scraper and more Behlen finish, without removing all of the previous finish - no problem.

I really like that stuff, its super easy to use and produces a great luster.