PDA

View Full Version : Riased panel door PICS

Mark Stutz
04-02-2006, 5:50 PM
Just to prove there really is some woodworking going on in my shop;) , I thought I would show what I've been working on the last 2 weekends. I have alluded to a hand tool cabinet I'm making, using only hand tools, in other posts, usually asking for advice. This is the first, of two, raised panel doors, measuring 9" by 36", for the cabinet. Wood is mahogany. They are not glued yet, just dry fit, so the draw bore from the back should tighten the shoulder up a bit. I don't know if that is traditional or not, but since this is a learning project, and for the shop, and I have never done draw bored M & T joints before...I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for looking.

Mark

Alan DuBoff
04-02-2006, 6:32 PM
Nice Mark!

Did you use a moulding plane to cut the raised panels?

Mark Stutz
04-02-2006, 7:36 PM
Alan,
Adedicated plane would probably be faster, but no. I defined the raised field with a plow plane, then hogged off as much as I dared with a scrub. Then I used a combination of bench planes, and rabbett planes to get close, then finished the sides with a bench rabbet plane and the end grain with a skewed rabbet plane. The mahogany has a lot of reversing grain, so I had to resort to a scraper:( in a few places. Hopefully the second will go a lot faster since I have the process down.

Mark

Maurice Metzger
04-02-2006, 8:01 PM
Mark, no pictures of all those steps? :)

The door looks great, and finding out how you did it makes it more impressive.

But I think we will need pictures of the drawbores process...

- Maurice

Roy Wall
04-02-2006, 8:09 PM
Mark-

The porportions look excellent - THAT is going to be a great cabinet!!...whether for the shop or the house!

Nice work - and way to use all those planes!:)

Joe Mioux
04-02-2006, 8:52 PM
Mark, That door looks great. Like Roy said, proportions look good.

Joe

Mark Stutz
04-02-2006, 9:01 PM
Maurice,
I do have some PICS taken during the process. I'll try to get them resized and posted later tonight or tomorrow night.

Mark

Steve Clardy
04-02-2006, 9:52 PM
Looks really nice Mark

Mark Singer
04-02-2006, 9:54 PM
Excellent work Mark!!! Really a great proportion and overall design!

John Timberlake
04-02-2006, 10:14 PM
Looks great. Can't wait to see the in process pictures and the finished product.

Dave Ray
04-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Realy nice looking doors Mark. Knowing you did it with all hand tools, I to request more pictures. I like to see a craftsman at work. I learn a lot, thank you. :) :)

Maurice Metzger
04-02-2006, 10:45 PM
Thanks Mark. The sun is just a distant memory here, and I do my woodworking under a carport, so this is going to have to substitute.

- Maurice

Mark Stutz
04-02-2006, 11:06 PM
Here are the pictures I took along the way. The first step was to mark the depth, or height:confused: , of the raised panel.
then define the raised panel. This could be done witha saw, but I used a #46 plow plane, so the dados would be sharp. I then hogged out as much as I dared with a scrub, and then further refined the raised part with a varuiety of planes, finishing the end grain with a skewed block and the long grain with a bench rabbett plane.

Mark Stutz
04-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Continued....

Tim Barker
04-02-2006, 11:51 PM
Great job! Thanks for the pics.
Tim

Dan Forman
04-03-2006, 3:56 AM
Inspiring work, and thanks for posting the pics.

Dan

Alan DuBoff
04-03-2006, 6:03 AM
Alan,
Adedicated plane would probably be faster, but no. I defined the raised field with a plow plane, then hogged off as much as I dared with a scrub. Then I used a combination of bench planes, and rabbett planes to get close, then finished the sides with a bench rabbet plane and the end grain with a skewed rabbet plane. The mahogany has a lot of reversing grain, so I had to resort to a scraper:( in a few places. Hopefully the second will go a lot faster since I have the process down.Mark,

Yes, a dedicated plane for raised panels would probably go better, but I think it shows more for you as a woodworker that you were able to work out the problem and come up with a solution with the tools at hand. This is afterall where the men get seperated from the boys so to speak.

Thanks for sharing your detailed pics with us, the end result looks just splendid. Nice use of hand tools, wether a better way or not, it worked just fine for you.

harry strasil
04-03-2006, 10:16 AM
nice job Mark, looks real good.