PDA

View Full Version : Dust Gorilla / S&D Ducting Connection

Keith Weber
04-02-2006, 4:55 PM
Hi,

I've had a Dust Gorilla sitting in my living room for the last 8 months or so while I've been finishing my basement shop. The mudding is almost done on the drywall and I want to build a stand and get my Dust Gorilla set up sooner rather than later once the paint on the walls is dry. I've decided to go with 6" Sewer and Drain Pipe for the ducting. I've already bought the pipe, wyes and 45's, so that part is a done deal.

I need to know how to go from the 7" pipe on the Gorilla to a 6" S&D (green) pipe. I'm sure that someone has done this before me and I was wondering how they did it.

Thanks!

Keith

Joe Mioux
04-02-2006, 5:39 PM
Go to a HVAC business and buy a 7" to 6" sheetmetal reducer. Ask them to crimp both ends. Your reducer will slide into both the Dust Gorilla as well as the 6" inch S&D fitting, such as a female elbow.

Joe

Ken Garlock
04-02-2006, 7:06 PM
Keith, I think Joe is on the right track. The thing I would do different is to have the sheet metal transition made to exact sizes. Because of the direction of the air/dust flow, you will want the S&D pipe to fit inside of the sheet metal, and the sheet metal to in turn fit inside of the Dust Gorilla.

Find a local sheet metal shop and explain to them what you want done. Have your exact dimensions with you. I have used a small shop near me several times. All I have to do is make sure the joints are tight with a little PL brand window caulking. I use PL since it does not contain silicone, and hence it can be painted. In addition, after it cures, you have one heck of a time getting off. It is available at the orange borg.

Rick Schubert
04-02-2006, 8:11 PM
Keith,

Based on info from Bill Pentz's DC site and what I got from Oneida when setting up my Gorilla, I would suggest a least a couple feet (four feet is optimum) of 7" straight pipe attached to your Gorilla before you reduce to 6". This reduces the air turbulance as it enters your Gorilla which will improve its efficiency.

Maybe this was not what you're asking, but wanted to make sure you were aware of it.

Rick

Roy Wall
04-02-2006, 8:19 PM
Good advice......

make sure all your crimped ends point to the gorilla - and the uncrimped ends opposite the air flow.

I ran a straight line run of 7" pipe for 7 feet out of the gorilla and then used the 7x6 reducer.

Jim Becker
04-02-2006, 9:44 PM
I agree with the statements that you should run 7" for a bit...at least until the first lateral if you can, but 4-5' at any rate. If you're not reducing with the lateral wye, then get a long reducer from Oneida. Don't use the short pudgy ones from the 'borg...

Ken Styer
04-03-2006, 8:56 PM
I know I was supposed to go with the 7" for a couple of feet until I reduced to the 6" pipe but I didn't. I took the bell end of the 6" sewer pipe, wrapped it a couple of times with duct tape until I had a nice snug fit into the 7" inlet of the collector. Then a couple of wraps of duct tape around the outside of the connection. Seems to be working out pretty well for me. Simple and cheap.

Chris Damm
04-03-2006, 9:50 PM
I know I was supposed to go with the 7" for a couple of feet until I reduced to the 6" pipe but I didn't. I took the bell end of the 6" sewer pipe, wrapped it a couple of times with duct tape until I had a nice snug fit into the 7" inlet of the collector. Then a couple of wraps of duct tape around the outside of the connection. Seems to be working out pretty well for me. Simple and cheap.

But not as good as it could with 3 or 4' of 7"!

Keith Weber
04-03-2006, 9:55 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll have to check for a HVAC shop in my area.

Keith