PDA

View Full Version : Replace Aging Radial Arm Saw With Miter Saw?

Scott Vigder
04-02-2006, 2:49 PM
I'm ready to replace my old Craftsman RAS and am looking at these new-fangled cool-looking ufo-inspired Double Compound Sliding Miter saws. Things like lasers don't impress me: accurate cuts time after time impress me. I mostly build furniture, so portability is not an issue. At some point the wife will insist I start the molding I promised. I'd like to hear from the crowd if you think 1] this is a good idea, and 2] which of these puppies are most popular with Creekers?
Thanks for your input!

Jim DeLaney
04-02-2006, 2:52 PM
I sold my RAS about a year or so after buying my Hitachi Sliding Compound miter saw. It finally occurred to me that, after buying the SCMS, I had never once used the RAS.

So, YES! You can replace the RAS with an SCMS. The only thing I've found that I can't do with the SCMS is fit a dado set onto it.

tod evans
04-02-2006, 3:03 PM
scott, in these parts the hitachi is the most popular. personally i use the milwaukee....02 tod

Allen Grimes
04-02-2006, 3:08 PM
Makita and Bosch are pretty popular too. From what I understand the Makita is more accurate, but I have no personal experience with either, so take this post for what its worth

Butch Spears
04-02-2006, 3:36 PM
I have the Makita LS1013 and it is Great it was Dead On right out of the box. Butch

Steve Clardy
04-02-2006, 4:44 PM
I bought my second DW708 to replace my aging radial arm saw.
Dewalt is still in the box, as I haven't had time to build a wall full of base cabinets for the second saw to sit on.

John Timberlake
04-02-2006, 4:55 PM
I recently purchased the DW 708. I had used one in the past and found it to be very accurate. So I have only used mine for cross cutting long boards to manageable lengths, but have to install some molding soon. When I used it before, got accurate cuts with DeWalt so that miters fit perfectly. And I got a good deal since they are replacing it with a laser ready version.

John Keane
04-02-2006, 5:03 PM
Makita LS 1013 or De Walt 12"

Scott Vigder
04-02-2006, 5:17 PM
Anyone have any luck with the Metabo?

Phil Ordway
04-02-2006, 5:18 PM
I have the DW708 with an upgraded (Makita) blade. It works fine. A friend who uses both Dewalt and Makita prefers the Dewalt.

lou sansone
04-02-2006, 8:27 PM
Dewalt 708... cuts great and very accurate. I believe that most folks get rid of RAS because they have had the craftsman type that was not very well made. Dewalt, Original Saw, and Rockwell /delta all made very good quality RAS and those should not be confused with the craftsman version. I happen to like my turret style ( Rockwell / Delta ) RAS, which is really pretty accurate. But we digress

best wishes
lou

Dan Owen
04-02-2006, 10:01 PM
Scott

I have the Metabo 81/2 inch SCM and I am very pleased. Very accurate and easy to tote. I use it mostling for trim work. I put a Tenyru blade on it and it performs as nice as any SCM I have ever used. I haven't used the 10 or 12 inch Metabo but my inspection of the tools suggest that they are very good quality. I would'nt hesitate to purchase either and if I was in the market for a 10 or 12 inch SCM, I would probably purchase a Metabo.

Thanks
Dan

CPeter James
04-02-2006, 10:05 PM
You do know that Emerson electric will probably buy that saw back from you for $100 and if is a recalled saw and you don't sell it back to them, but rather to someone else,you incur quite a bit liability. You can Google the Craftsman Recall site or go here:

http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/index2.htm

They respond quickly and pay the postage.

BTW, I did just that a bought the DW708 about 4 years ago and love it. I also picked up a Dewalt RAS about 1950 vintage that I use exclusively for dadoes. You can find good ones for under $200.

CPeter

Pete Harbin
04-02-2006, 11:59 PM
I'd also be interested to hear from guys/gals who had and used RASes (sounds like something from the Princess Bride :p ) and have ditched them for SCMSes. Did you miss the RAS? If I've got a table saw cut-off sled and a GCSS do I ever really ever have need for the RAS anymore?

Mine has become a table to collect things on, and I think I've cleared it off and used it twice in the last two years. That's a fair bit of floor space to give up for a shelf. :rolleyes: I'Ve found that I'd rather use a router for dados too, so even that selling point for the RAS isn't carrying much weight with me anymore.

Pete

Jerry Crawford
04-03-2006, 12:03 AM
I lusted after one of these puppies for some years but didn't feel the need. Then I came across one like new in a garage sale and brought it home. It's the high priced item 12" laser miter saw. That thing does cut straight and smooth and does it all day long. Even though they "look" portable they are pretty heavy and work best screwed to a good bench. I built up a special rolling table for it and roll it around the shop as needed.

The end cuts that thing produces are things of beauty.

Don Baer
04-03-2006, 1:27 AM
I have the Dewalt and love it.

Mark Pruitt
04-03-2006, 8:35 AM
...sold the thing a couple years ago to a friend in the construction business. I purchased a Delta 12" CMS and have loved it. It's now available in a double-bevel version, which I would have gone for if that had been availiable at the time. Dust collection capability is outstanding, which is a tough thing for a CMS to accomplish. Recommend it highly.
Mark

Scott Vigder
04-03-2006, 3:05 PM
I'll take my aging hag of an old RAS out back and euthinise her a little later in the week. I convinced myself to jump and went unconventionally for the Metabo 12"r. For $549 delivered it seemed on a par with the $700 DeWalt and Hitachi offerings. It was a narrow race, and as they made the turn at the 3/4 pole the Makita was in the lead, but I couldn't find a decent deal and eBay came through with the Metabo at the wire.
Thanks to all who contributed opinions. I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

John Brennaman
04-03-2006, 4:04 PM
I have had the same 10" craftsman RAS for about 15 years now. It was a real pain to setup but once it was I find it makes smooth straight cuts without having to regularly re-align. I like it for multiple cuts of the same length. I ordered the recall kit for the blade guard (no charge to me). Got it a couple of weeks ago but, haven't taken it out of the box yet. The instructions say about 2 hours to install so I estimate about 4.

Ken Styer
04-03-2006, 8:39 PM
I too have an older Craftsman RAS. Once I got a miter saw and along with my Unisaw and the other good stuff, My RAS is just sitting there collecting dust.