PDA

View Full Version : Virus Question.

Joe Tonich
08-16-2003, 7:50 PM
With the new virus going around, will my anti-virus (Norton) catch it or do I still need to go to Microsoft and get the patch? How would I know if I'm protected or not? Any way to find out? I'd hate to find out the hard way. :(

Thanks,

Joe

Jason Roehl
08-16-2003, 8:26 PM
With the new virus going around, will my anti-virus (Norton) catch it or do I still need to go to Microsoft and get the patch? How would I know if I'm protected or not? Any way to find out? I'd hate to find out the hard way. :(

Thanks,

Joe

If Norton is fully updated (manually do this if necessary), and properly activated, you are protected. HOWEVER, you should still go to MS and download the security patch to fix the hole in your Windows (I'm so punny). :D

John Miliunas
08-16-2003, 11:22 PM
HOWEVER, you should still go to MS and download the security patch to fix the hole in your Windows (I'm so punny). :D

Sheeesh Jason, sometimes your humor is pane-full. :D (Sorry, couldn't resist.) Anyhow, yeah to what Jason said. Also, another recommended step for Winders XP users is to enable the "Firewall" protection, which is built in to the operating system. It's quite painless to do and, for folks who don't wish to or don't understand the heavier duty software firewalls, it's easy to initiate and zero maintenance. (Just go to the "Help & Support" area and type in "firewall". It will give you an easy walk-thru of how to do it.) NO, it will NOT take care of as much as the more prominent firewalls out there, but for instance, in this latest RPC vulnerability attack, if people would've had that enabled on their XP boxes, they still would've been relatively safe, even without the patch. But, absolutely, keep you anti-virus up to date, as well as the "Critical Updates" for Winders. :cool:

Aaron Koehl
08-18-2003, 9:18 AM
Sheeesh Jason, sometimes your humor is pane-full. :D (Sorry, couldn't resist.) Anyhow, yeah to what Jason said. Also, another recommended step for Winders XP users is to enable the "Firewall" protection, which is built in to the operating system. It's quite painless to do and, for folks who don't wish to or don't understand the heavier duty software firewalls, it's easy to initiate and zero maintenance. (Just go to the "Help & Support" area and type in "firewall". It will give you an easy walk-thru of how to do it.) NO, it will NOT take care of as much as the more prominent firewalls out there, but for instance, in this latest RPC vulnerability attack, if people would've had that enabled on their XP boxes, they still would've been relatively safe, even without the patch. But, absolutely, keep you anti-virus up to date, as well as the "Critical Updates" for Winders. :cool:

For those of you using Windows systems:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp

There's the link where you can apply the appropriate patch
which MS claims fixes the security vulnerability.

_Aaron_

Joe Tonich
08-18-2003, 8:03 PM
For those of you using Windows systems:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp

There's the link where you can apply the appropriate patch
which MS claims fixes the security vulnerability.

_Aaron_

How do you find out which Windows XP you have, 32 bit or 64 bit?? Why can't they make things simple?? :confused:

Joe

Jim Becker
08-18-2003, 9:02 PM
How do you find out which Windows XP you have, 32 bit or 64 bit?? Why can't they make things simple?? :confused:

Joe

Unless you have a big-a$& data center server, you have the 32 bit version.

Brad Schafer
08-18-2003, 9:29 PM
a) for security fixes, *always* patch. never trust an a/v product to bandaid a hole.

b) unless you're running an Itanic (oops, Itanium) processor, you're running 32 bit.

what a hassle,

b