PDA

View Full Version : HF work and sanding

Chris Barton
04-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Here is a picture of a HF that I did yesterday as well as my geezer goblet with captive ring. I encountered some challenges on both pieces related to sanding the interior. On the geezer goblet I made the mistake of not completely hollowing the interior before turning the stem and it was very unstable. On the HF I didn't have a stability problem but, I couldn't figure a safe way for me to sand the interior. My fat finger with some sandpaper around it was just able to fit inside of the orb and I kept thinking about all it would take was just a little friction to get it caught in there with the big PM3520 runing at about 1k rpms and well, I would become "Dr. Lefty." How do you finish the insides of the HFs you do that have a large enough opening in the top to allow such?

PS: feel free to provide critiques on the pieces as well.

Bernie Weishapl
04-02-2006, 11:10 AM
I am interested myself in the answers to your question. The goblet and HF are nice looking pieces Chris. Great work. I tried one goblet and didn't finish the interior and snapped the stem. So starting another one.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Chris beautiful work on both the goblet and the HF. Yup.....sand before sizing the stem.....I've actually been finishing the interior of the goblets before removing the supporting material to make the stem....but just after final shaping on the exterior.....

George Conklin
04-02-2006, 11:42 AM
Hi Chris,
I can't help with tecnique, but I can tell you I sure like the form on the hollow form that you have turned.

Tell us more about that table that both are sitting on. Did you make that also?

Jim Becker
04-02-2006, 11:42 AM
As a general rule, I do NOT sand the interiors of hollowforms that have small openings. Only another turner is going to look in there, anyway! And...it can be somewhat less-than-safe to do this sanding. (Yea, a lot of folks do, including many of the "biggie" turners, but I don't see the point) I will always sand a little just inside the rim to insure it's clean, however, and can usually do that at very low RPM with my finger.

Cecil Arnold
04-02-2006, 11:48 AM
Chris, you might consider some long hemostats (sp?) and sponge backed sanding pads to do the inside of your HF. I've found a number of like medical implements useful in many aspects of wood working.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-02-2006, 11:50 AM
Chris.........one of the turning books I have....the author recommends painting the inside of your HFs black..........It hides the tool marks and lack of sanding and makes the HF appear to have more interior depth. IIRC the guy was using acrylic paints........

Jim Ketron
04-02-2006, 12:15 PM
Nice Job Chris!
Thats what Collars are for, hides all the rough stuff inside:D
Some woods are hard to get a good finish on the inside of HF's
a soft maple like yours is one of them. If I know the wood is going to be that way I plan on using a collar in the design.

Andy Hoyt
04-02-2006, 12:32 PM
I agree on the collar notion. And that intention often allows for a larger initial opening which means that before the collar is attached you can do a better job of sanding through the larger opening.

Hemostats would work, as would some homemade sanding sticks with varying hooks and curves on the shaft.

Travis Stinson
04-02-2006, 12:35 PM
Nice HF Chris. Like Cecil said, use some long hemostats to hold a strip of sandpaper wrapped around a small piece of foam and sand with your lathe in reverse. I think it's hilarious that most people that are staunch opponents to wearing a glove while turning think nothing of sticking a sandpaper-wrapped finger inside a small opening while it's turning:rolleyes: . If all else fails, spray paint the inside black and stick a collar on it with a tiny opening to keep prying fingers out.:D

Chris Barton
04-02-2006, 12:35 PM
Hi Chris,
I can't help with tecnique, but I can tell you I sure like the form on the hollow form that you have turned.

Tell us more about that table that both are sitting on. Did you make that also?

Hi George,

Folks that have been around for a year or so will recognize this as one of the Feredal Period pieces I have made. I am a Federal Period fanatic (or lunatic as my wife calls it)! It is made of curly Paduk, Satinwood and curly maple. In fact, the turned and fluted legs were my first ever real lathe project made on my old Ridgid WL1200. For a couple of hundred bucks that was a great lathe!

Lee DeRaud
04-02-2006, 12:51 PM
I've found a number of like medical implements useful in many aspects of wood working.Well, that sounds ominous...:eek:

John Hart
04-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Beautiful Pieces Chris. Quite the matching pair. I sand under the shoulder off the lathe.

Chris Barton
04-02-2006, 12:57 PM
Well, that sounds ominous...:eek:

Hmm, I have plenty of old medical equipment. I wonder if an old proctoscope might fit inside the opening...:eek:

Lee DeRaud
04-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Hmm, I have plenty of old medical equipment. I wonder if an old proctoscope might fit inside the opening...:eek:TMI, dude, way TMI.:eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
04-02-2006, 1:02 PM
Lee.......did you mean The Mental Image.........or Too Much Information?

Lee DeRaud
04-02-2006, 1:19 PM
Lee.......did you mean The Mental Image.........or Too Much Information?A bit of both actually, but mostly the latter.

Frank Chaffee
04-02-2006, 1:32 PM
Hmm, I have plenty of old medical equipment. I wonder if an old proctoscope might fit inside the opening...:eek:
Chris,
At least you could see what you were doing without getting your fingers in there.
Frank

Ed Scolforo
04-02-2006, 2:03 PM
Chris, beautiful peices, all three.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-02-2006, 4:11 PM
Chris, this is BEAUTIFUL! What else can I say?

Keith Burns
04-02-2006, 4:17 PM
Chris, all three pieces look great. On the HF I would go along with the recommendation to us the hemostat thingie or the finger wrap. My wife is the worlds worst critic, if you can see it or feel it, it better be smooth.

Chris Barton
04-02-2006, 6:04 PM
Thanks guys! I think I will try to make some sort of sanding extension for working on the hollow forms. About the Federal card table; I am working on the base right now but, the wood under it is the 3/16" veneer for the top. I am trying someting different this time around thus the stain on the piece prior to glue up. I like to use Transtint dyes for coloring my woods. Now, I know some of you have a thing about doing anything to chery other than BLO but, I like a darker color and it is more traditional and in keping with the period reproduction. I dyed it prior to glue up to reduce and chance for glue lines to blotch the stain. The piece will get another couple of caots of dye and toner prior to being completed. The biggest challenge for this table was making the wooden hinges on the back legs. Lots of geometry there and it is much more difficult than it appears. Inlaying the banding is fiarly simple and the paterae aren't too difficult if you have a micro router. I use a B&D moto tool mounted in a Dremel router base and it works well.

Thanks Again

Ernie Nyvall
04-02-2006, 6:25 PM
TMI, dude, way TMI.:eek:

LOL and I agree with Lee. Nice turnings Chris, but stop it with the medical stuff.:D

Ernie

Corey Hallagan
04-02-2006, 7:21 PM
Chris, all three of those pieces are just beautiful. I love the shape of both the goblet and the HF. Jeez, that is some inlay work their Chris on that table and the finish is superb! Wondeful craftsmanship on all!

Corey