PDA

View Full Version : Project: Oak Mirror

Matt Meiser
04-02-2006, 1:41 AM
I completed this mirror today. The design is based on a piece the president of my woodworking club made. You might remember that I drew it in Sketchup (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33598) a week or so ago. This was a simple project. I bought a mirror at Lowes and then sized everything around it. The sides have a 1/4" by 1" rabbet and the top and bottom rails are 1/2" thick and sit on top of the mirror. The rabbet for the mirror is completed by the top and bottom piece. Joinery is strictly glue and pocket screws--a perfect place since most of them can't even be seen when the mirror isn't on the wall.

I used keyhole slots for hanging and tried a trick I saw somewhere else when I hung it up. Use a platic headed pushpin in the key hole slots. Line everything up and push the pins into the drywall. When you pull it down, you've got the exact locations of the screws marked. Worked like a charm.

Vaughn McMillan
04-02-2006, 1:46 AM
Nice, classic lines, Matt, and the push pin idea is a keeper. Thanks for the pics.

- Vaughn

Tony Falotico
04-02-2006, 8:55 AM
Very Nice Matt.

Frank Pellow
04-02-2006, 8:59 AM
Nice mirror Matt. I just completed a very similar one last week.

I am not entirely sure what a keyhole slot is nor how they were used with the mirror. Please enlighten me and, preferably, include an additional picture or two with the explanation. Maybe I could/should retrofit such slot into my mirror.

John Buzzurro
04-02-2006, 9:17 AM
Nice looking mirror, Matt. Looks like it matches the dresser nicely. Did you also make the dresser?

Jim Becker
04-02-2006, 11:17 AM
That worked out great, Matt!

Matt Meiser
04-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Nice looking mirror, Matt. Looks like it matches the dresser nicely. Did you also make the dresser?

No, the Amish made the dresser. My parents bought it for us as a wedding gift.

Matt Meiser
04-02-2006, 12:03 PM
I am not entirely sure what a keyhole slot is nor how they were used with the mirror. Please enlighten me and, preferably, include an additional picture or two with the explanation. Maybe I could/should retrofit such slot into my mirror.

The keyhole slot is cut on the back of a piece you want to hang. You put screws in the wall and then slide the piece over them. The nice thing about using them is that the piece is flush to the wall when you are done--there's no hanging hardware holding it out from the wall surface. You use a special router bit in a plunge router to cut them.

Pete Harbin
04-02-2006, 2:20 PM
Looks great Matt!

Pete

Alan Tolchinsky
04-02-2006, 2:36 PM
Thanks for the push pin idea. I like the finish on the piece also.

Fred Voorhees
04-02-2006, 7:42 PM
Nice looking mirror Matt. Just recently completed one myself.

Corey Hallagan
04-02-2006, 8:20 PM
Very nice Matt. Reminds me of the one that hung for years in my wifes Aunts house.

Corey

Frank Pellow
04-02-2006, 9:04 PM
The keyhole slot is cut on the back of a piece you want to hang. You put screws in the wall and then slide the piece over them. The nice thing about using them is that the piece is flush to the wall when you are done--there's no hanging hardware holding it out from the wall surface. You use a special router bit in a plunge router to cut them.
Thanks Matt. I was not at all aware that such a technique (or router bit for same) existed. I won't use keyhole slots on the mirror that I recently built, but I certainly will keep it in mind for future projects.

Matt Meiser
04-02-2006, 9:19 PM
Thanks Matt. I was not at all aware that such a technique (or router bit for same) existed.

They are great for small shelves too because they are secure and hold the shelf tight to the wall.

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-02-2006, 11:10 PM
Very nice Matt. Good lines, Good finish and Good match to the furniture.

Bruce

John Miliunas
04-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Great looking mirror, Matt! I especially like the way you got the grain pattern going on the top header...Almost reminds me of a sunburst. Well done! :) :D

Jason Tuinstra
04-03-2006, 10:21 AM
Matt, turned out wonderfully. Nice job.

Jim W. White
04-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Matt,

Very sharp looking Mirror! I really like the arch.

thanks for the push pin/keyhole bit tip. I just picked up one of the Whiteside keyhole router bits at Woodcraft this weekend. It's their "bit of the month" if anyone is intersted.

...Jim