PDA

View Full Version : A couple of bowls

Curt Fuller
04-02-2006, 12:22 AM
These are a couple bowls I turned this last week from a couple woods I've never tried before. The first is from cottonwood and the second is Quaking Aspen. Both are woods that I've heard don't turn too well but I had to try because around here I could get a lifetime supply in a day. After turning them I have to agree that they aren't that great for turning. Very soft and 'fuzzy'. The aspen did have some nice spalting though. Both are about 9" by 4" and just finished with walnut oil.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-02-2006, 12:30 AM
Nice looking bowls Curt. I like that aspen!

Ed Scolforo
04-02-2006, 6:03 AM
They both look great, Curt. I like the detail on the cottonwood.

Michael Stafford
04-02-2006, 7:08 AM
Curt, both bowls look great. The shape of the cottonwood bowl is a shape that I am very fond of and the beads really enhance the appearance. Nice work!:D

I have turned one bowl from some cottonwood burl and found it to be just as you described- fuzzy- but worth it in the end.

Dennis Peacock
04-02-2006, 7:14 AM
Curt,

Those are excellent bowls. The Aspen and the Cottonwood is very nice with the Aspen looking like my favored choice. Don't listen to what a lot of folks say about "blah" wood is not worth turning. Some of my favorite bowls have been out of wood that many established turners won't turn. "Junk wood" as it can be called, but the sure do turn out pretty. ;)

Very nice on the bowls Curt. You form looks good and the finish is just as good. :D Thanks for sharing them with us.

Ernie Nyvall
04-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Well you certainly got the fuzz off Curt. They look real nice. I've got a couple of cottonwoods that need to come down. I wonder if some wood hardener would help. How did you work it out cause they look great.

Ernie

John Hart
04-02-2006, 10:24 AM
Never turned either of those woods. They look nice Curt. I know when I get the fuzzies, it drives me crazy! Then I start acting like Andy.:eek:

Glenn Hodges
04-02-2006, 10:29 AM
I have turned aspen, but never cottonwood because of the reasons you mentioned. I like what you did with these woods.

doug webb
04-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Tain't junk wood no more! I like them both but am partial to spalting. Kinda feel a kinship to it. Really like them both.

Bernie Weishapl
04-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Curt both bowls look good. I like the fit and finish on both. Great work.

Jim Ketron
04-02-2006, 10:56 AM
Looks like some nice wood to me!
Might be a little more work but its free wood!
Nice job Curt

Ernie Nyvall
04-02-2006, 11:33 AM
Never turned either of those woods. They look nice Curt. I know when I get the fuzzies, it drives me crazy! Then I start acting like Andy.:eek:

Ohohoho man. That would give Hart burn.:p :D

Ernie

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-02-2006, 1:15 PM
Aspen's nice Curt, But what I like most is the detail you added..........Gentle and beautifully executed.

Bruce

Mark Cothren
04-02-2006, 4:06 PM
Nice bowls, Curt! I like 'em both.

Thanks for the pictures!

Keith Burns
04-02-2006, 4:12 PM
Very nice pair Curt. Form is great as well as the finish on both!:) :)

Andy Hoyt
04-02-2006, 5:02 PM
Nice stuff, Curt!

Hey! I met Eric Sloane way back in the early sixties. My father was helping him get his books published and dragged us along for some reason. I don't recall him at all, but I do have a vague recollection of his woodworking shop with white washed walls and tons of stuff hung up on the wall.

The trip was wasted on us younguns that day, but I'd give my left arm for a return trip today. And his paintings are awesome.

Corey Hallagan
04-02-2006, 7:29 PM
They turned out great Curt, nothing wrong with those bowls regardless!

Corey

Curt Fuller
04-03-2006, 12:02 AM
Nice stuff, Curt!

Hey! I met Eric Sloane way back in the early sixties. My father was helping him get his books published and dragged us along for some reason. I don't recall him at all, but I do have a vague recollection of his woodworking shop with white washed walls and tons of stuff hung up on the wall.

The trip was wasted on us younguns that day, but I'd give my left arm for a return trip today. And his paintings are awesome.

I really don't know anything about Eric Sloane other than I read that quotation somewere a while back and liked it enough to save it in a file of great words that I keep. Read it yesterday again and decided to put it on here.

Andy Hoyt
04-03-2006, 12:11 AM
Curt - You must check his work out. An amazing and talented guy.

http://www.ericsloane.com/

Start by reading "A Reverence for Wood". You'll be hooked.

Ron Ainge
04-03-2006, 3:29 PM
Curt

I have turned both of the woods that you used in the two bowls that you made. I like your work and think that you did a good job. I am always looking for the aspen because I can sell it about as fast as I turn it. I have a place in the Mountains here in Colo. that sells my Pine and Aspen turnings and I have a problem keeping them in Aspen in stock for them. I agree that they are both soft and take some skill to get a real good finish on but they both sell real well. If you have extra that you don't want you can give me all you want when I come to the Utah Woodturning Symposium this June. (just kidding I have access to all I can turn).