PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Turning Stock

Jim VanBramer
04-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Hi guys ... I wasn't sure where to post this but figured my best response would be here with all you Spinny Folks. I'm trying to find a block of some variety of dark wood (black walnut, etc.) that's approximately 6" x 6" x 6". The real problem that I have is that I need it to be dry, as I have a pretty short turn around time on this project (too short for the alcohol bath, etc.). It's my 25th anniversary coming up real soon and I got this hairbrained idea that I'm now trying to make happen:eek: . I'd love something with some figure to it, but that's not absolutely necessary. If any of you out there have something that might work please get ahold of me and we can work something out.
If the moderators feel this needs to be in the classifieds please let me know and I can move it over there.
Thanks.
Jim V

Dennis Peacock
04-02-2006, 7:18 AM
Howdy Jim,

We can probably get you some wet walnut...but dry? In my experiences, turning dry walnut from a rough bowl blank is very dusty and hard on your tools and you. Maybe I just had the "wrong kind" of walnut.:confused: Anyway, I hope you find your dry walnut as anything I could round up would be "wet".

Oh...and Happy 25th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Barbara Gill
04-02-2006, 8:05 AM
I would be difficult to find a dry piece of walnut of that size that didn't have drying cracks. I don't know what you want to do but the best way to get a 6x6x6" piece of dry walnut for a hurry-up project would be to glue one up.

John Shuk
04-02-2006, 8:53 AM
I have some walnut that has been drying in my basement for about 2 years that is in good shape. PM if you are interested.

Jim VanBramer
04-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Alright, I'm going to change my request just a bit here ... I've got some really nice figured maple that I want to use, and I'm looking for a piece of contrasting wood to compliment it. I had tried using black walnut, which looked very nice (don't ask about what happened to that piece ... suffice to say it even looked nice as it went sailing past my head and onto the shop floor :eek: ). If any of you out there think that you might have something that would look nice with a figured maple please let me know. Thanks again.
Jim

Charles McKinley
04-02-2006, 10:55 PM
What size piece do you need now? I should have a coulpe of pieces that may work for you.