PDA

View Full Version : New to turning--advice

Dan Owen
04-01-2006, 10:01 PM
I'm 25 years a woodworker, but have never turned. It is something that I have always wanted to learn and now I'm going to take the plunge. I don't personally know any turners and I have yet to find classes offered locally, so I have decided that I will be initially self taught through books, Internet advice, television and trial and error. Through much research, I have decide on a Jet1442VS and have found one new for $829.00 which is in my price range. My first interest will be in bowls, but I want to have the ability for spindle turning when the time comes. Any advice on initial turning tools and accessories would be helpful and any other suggestions on a first lathe purchase would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Dan

Chris Barton
04-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Hi Dan,

Welcome to the world of turning. First, I would suggest that you find somebody, be they a club, and individual or professional that could show you some time on a lathe before you make you purchase. The jet is a good machine and I am not suggesting it is not a great choice. But, everyone thinks they are going to start out with a lathe by turning bowls which, are probably the most difficult thing to do on a lathe. Second, turn some pens, rolling pins, spindles, etc. first then, consider bowls.

Best of luck!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-01-2006, 10:48 PM
Dan.........A few weeks ago some of the crazies in the turners forum here bombed me. Fedex delivered a new Jet Mini VS. So........I'm a new turner too! Welcome to the Abyss. If you are set up to receive email....respond to this thread and I'll email you the list of tools they recommended for me.

1st......Check around to see if there's a local turning club. I live in Lewiston, Idaho and the closest club is in Spokane. Often clubs are set up to help new turners by giving lessons and free training.

2nd....FWW produced some turning videos by Richard Raffan.....Turning Wood and Turning Boxes..I have both and they are the mainstay of my training and limited skills.

3rd ....Our own Bill Grumbine produced a video.....Turned Bowls Made Easy. You can look Bills name under the membership list and there on his User CP....a link to his website. You can buy his video on his website. He is very efficient at getting his orders out. That's how I got my copy. It's an excellent video as well!

4th.....Woodcraft stores offer classes .....the closest store for me is in Spokane.....someday...work allowing I hope to take some lessons.... There are free videos you can watch at the Woodcraft website....they are convenient if you have a broadband connection to the internet.

There are a number of books available that are great for learning turning basics. Mine are in the shop right now but later I can give you the names of the author and titles.

I highly recommend those 3 videos I mentioned. With them, I've been able to turn spindles, boxes, vases, goblets and this evening I turned my first bowl. While my work won't sell as art, I feel I've come a long way in a short period of time and have found a new passion!

I'm with Chris....If you can....spend some time on a lathe before you make a purchase......That way you can make a better informed purchasing decision.

Again......if you are set up here to receive email.....let me know and I'll email you the list the turners here sent me with recommendations for additional tools you need to start turning.

Again....Welcome to the incredible world of turning.......instant gratification.......What a kick!

Bernie Weishapl
04-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Chris and Ken has given you some good advice and you will get more. I am a new turner myself and have been turning now for 3 1/2 months now. I started with a Delta Midi and have just upgraded to a new Sears Pro 15" VS lathe. I would get a couple of video's. One being Bill Grumbine's on bowl turning. I got a couple of video's on basic turning. Raffan has one that shows you all the cuts. I would practice on spindles and turning pens. Then I would start with small bowls. Harbour Freight has a good set of turning tools for about $35. Good starter kit and if you happen to mess one up sharpening you won't be out $100 for one tool. Penn State Industries has some good value on their tools also. You will need a sharpening outfit to sharpen your tools. I have the wolverine jig from oneway. It works great and there are others out there to. You will need a grinder. If you have a high speed one which is 3450 that will work and is what I use. A lot of them get their wolverine jig and slow speed grinder (1750) from Woodcraft. If you do bowls you will need a chuck. Although you can get by without one it sure does make it easier. You are going to get advice from Oneway at about $270 to Grizzly at $45 or Penn State Industries for $79. I have one from Grizzly for $45 and one from Penn State for $79. What made me mad is they are the same chuck.

That is basically what I started out with. You will add more as you go as I have but that will get you started turning. Good luck and happy turning. Hope you have as much fun as I have had.

Dan Owen
04-01-2006, 11:42 PM
Thanks everyone for all the great advice. Learning alot already. Ken, I am set up for email on Sawmill Creek and would appreciate anything that you could send me on tools etc. Keep the info coming.

Thanks

Dan

P.S. I'm still debating on which lathe. Mini or bigger.

Andy Hoyt
04-02-2006, 12:09 AM
Hi Dan. The list Ken is sending began as this list. Figured it belonged here for all to benefit from, laugh at, or add to.

Scroll Chuck
Dial Calipers
Face Shield
Shop Vac or DC
Bill Grumbine’s DVD
Grinder
Wolverine Grinding Jig
Oneway Vari-Grind
⅛” Parting tool
¾” Skew
½” Spindle Gouge
Cheapo Harbor Freight Tool Set
¾” Roughing Gouge
⅜” Bowl gouge
1” Round Nose Scraper
Dust Be Gone Mask
Multi-pack Abrasive Sandpaper
Myland’s Friction Polish
Lighting System
Dedicated Garbage Can
Trash Bags
Lightweight Grain Shovel
Woodturning Design Magazine subscription
Local Turning Club/Chapter and AAW Membership
Anti Fatigue Mat

Curt Fuller
04-02-2006, 12:26 AM
Hi Dan. The list Ken is sending began as this list. Figured it belonged here for all to benefit from, laugh at, or add to.

Scroll Chuck
Dial Calipers
Face Shield
Shop Vac or DC
Bill Grumbine’s DVD
Grinder
Wolverine Grinding Jig
Oneway Vari-Grind
⅛” Parting tool
¾” Skew
½” Spindle Gouge
¾” Roughing Gouge
⅜” Bowl gouge
1” Round Nose Scraper
Dust Be Gone Mask
Myland’s Friction Polish
Lighting System
Dedicated Garbage Can
Trash Bags
Lightweight Grain Shovel
Anti Fatigue Mat

And a farewell to life as you once knew it!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-02-2006, 12:27 AM
Dan..........Andy is the pilot of the plane that bombed me. He just gave you the list you need. I just got back from HD. I bought 2 gallons of DNA and put my first bowl in to soak! Ouch that stuff is expensive! In the morning I'll get the books from my shop and give you the names of the authors and titles of the books.

One other thing Dan........Feel free to ask any question here.......I mean any question.....I affectionately refer to these idiots who bombed me with the lathe as idiots........they are a wealth of information and they never hesitate to answer a question regardless of how trivial they might seem! 8 weeks or so ago, I'd never seen anyone turn wood. I just attempted my first bowl.....You know....it wasn't bad.........When I'm trying a new technique...I don't worry about form or finish....I'm trying a new technique........The point is .....bowl turning is probably the most difficult type of turning....Over the past 8 weeks we've had a number of contests...like the goblet contest we're involved in right now. The project for each contest has been a little more difficult than the one before....so new techniques...new skills as the contests have happened....who won....everyone.....what did they win.....the beginners like me won new skills....... the more experienced people.....they enjoyed demonstrating their skills.....we suckered...err....assimilated......err....caused more flatlanders to become turners:D ......In the bonkers contest...we had a bunch of kids turn for the first time....the contestants voted the winners....and the kids won hands down.....we all won...we had a great time!

I'll reply with the names of the books and authors in the morning....I'd get the Raffan videos from FWW and Bill G's bowl video! Great stuff!

Wayne Kuhn
04-02-2006, 1:16 AM
Do not underestimate the pleasure of sharp turning tools, and the frustration of not so sharp tools. Sharpen frequently.
I use the wolverine with a 80 dollar 2 speed grinder from woodcraft. Best money ever spent. Welcome to the slippery slope. I am currently sliding down myself.
Your first green turning will have you hooked in no time.

John Hart
04-02-2006, 8:43 AM
Dan...I agree with what every one has said so far...and would just like to add something. All aspects of turning require attention to detail...A very high awareness of how the tool is addressing the wood...An appreciation for the speed....the uniqueness of each piece of wood....and how the tool reacts to grain, imperfections, hand placement, curvature...etc.
I highly recommend that you work on little stuff with fine details at first and use all your tools...get comfortable.

Welcome to the abyss!!

Jim Dunn
04-02-2006, 8:46 AM
And a farewell to life as you once knew it!
ROLFLMAO, Curt Don't Do that this early in the morning, sheeesh just spit coffee on my dog:eek:

Ernie Nyvall
04-02-2006, 10:28 AM
Welcome to the spinny world Dan. Looks like the guys have just about covered it.

Ernie

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Hey Dan, welcome to the vortex, I'm new at this too.

The advice offered here is top notch, as usual.

Sharp tools, Sharp tools, Sharp tools should be your mantra, I built my own sharpening station much like the Wolverine and it sure makes keeping them tools sharp a snap.

Good luck, and we like pictures! :D

Cheers!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-02-2006, 12:51 PM
Dan......the 2 books I've been using for reference are:

Woodturning - A Foundation Course by Keith Rowley

Learn to Turn by Barry Gross

Rowley's book is very in depth and Gross's book is from the point of a beginner. If I could only have one of the two it would be Rowley's ....

As others have indicated "it ain't no fun if the tools aren't sharp!" I bought the Woodcraft slow speed 1725rpm grinder and the complete Wolverine jig with the Vari-grind attachment. It's terrific. You can be in the middle of a project...notice the sound and size of the shavings coming off have changed and things aren't going as nicely as they were. Jump on the jig....10-15 seconds or less.....you're back in business.......When sharpening.....lightly....lightly.....

Andy posted the list of thing they suggested I acquire to turn. If you'd still like an email copy....respond and I'll email it to you!

Good luck!

Keith Burns
04-02-2006, 4:25 PM
Welcome to the dark side, Dan. You won't find a better bunch of guys with a wealth of knowledge that they are willing to share, than you can find here at SMC. Remember to post Photos at every stage of your adventure:)

Dennis Peacock
04-02-2006, 7:49 PM
Dan,

Looks like all the fellers here have you covered on advice for beginning turning, so I won't add more info to the mass confusion at this time. Please feel free to ask ANY question about turning. If it seems like a stupid question to you? Ask it anyway. There are many here who would benefit from the question and the answers given. Shoot, we all learn something from others questions all the time. :D

Christopher K. Hartley
04-02-2006, 9:19 PM

Scroll Chuck
Dial Calipers
Face Shield
Shop Vac or DC
Bill Grumbine’s DVD
Grinder
Wolverine Grinding Jig
Oneway Vari-Grind
⅛” Parting tool
¾” Skew
½” Spindle Gouge
¾” Roughing Gouge
⅜” Bowl gouge
1” Round Nose Scraper
Dust Be Gone Mask
Myland’s Friction Polish
Lighting System
Dedicated Garbage Can
Trash Bags
Lightweight Grain Shovel
Anti Fatigue Mat

Andy you left out the most important thing...a Coffee Cup with a Lid.

Steve Ash
04-02-2006, 9:33 PM
Dan, I'm glad you asked this question as it will benefit me too. I am a flatlander ( I do flat work) and these bunch of guys collectively reached up from the abyss with their tentacles and dragged me down in the vortex of woodturning. :D

Andy Hoyt
04-02-2006, 10:41 PM
Yeah, well the piece of you that latched "onto" me sure didn't offer much resistance.:D

Ken Fitzgerald
04-02-2006, 11:46 PM
Dan, I'm glad you asked this question as it will benefit me too. I am a flatlander ( I do flat work) and these bunch of guys collectively reached up from the abyss with their tentacles and dragged me down in the vortex of woodturning. :D

Steve..........quit your whining and get to work on your skew technique!:D

Keith Christopher
04-03-2006, 12:09 AM
I only recommend one thing....

HAVE FUN !

The creativity on the spinny is so awesome ! you see it transform right before your eyes, well and break right before your eyes too.

Keith

Dan Owen
04-03-2006, 9:34 AM
To everyone who responded to my post,

Thanks for all the advice and as always, I'm overwhelmed by the generosity and willingness of everyone on these boards from all over the world who enjoy sharing their expertise and experiences with others. I will keep you posted and once again thank you.

Sincerely,

Dan Owen

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-03-2006, 9:44 AM
To everyone who responded to my post,

Thanks for all the advice and as always, I'm overwhelmed by the generosity and willingness of everyone on these boards from all over the world who enjoy sharing their expertise and experiences with others. I will keep you posted and once again thank you.

Sincerely,

Dan Owen

I have to heartily agree with Dan, you guys are tops (he could not possibly be talking about me, as I have neither expertise or experience!!

Yep this place rocks! :D

Ron Ainge
04-03-2006, 2:52 PM
the only thing that I can add to what the others have said is that free wood is the best to learn on so if you have a tree trimmer in your area, call him and ask what he does with the wood he removes. He will probably tell you that he hauls it to the dump. If so he has to pay dump fees and will more than likely be willing to give you all you want for free. Good Luck and welcome to the creek.

Steve Ash
04-03-2006, 4:11 PM
Yeah, well the piece of you that latched "onto" me sure didn't offer much resistance.:D

Sometimes you got to be smart enough to know when you are in a losing battle....I knew I was done for on that first turning.:D