PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Ash Bowl

John Hart
04-01-2006, 7:43 PM
This is a chunk of spalted Ash that I got from Robert Mickley. Thanks Robert! It is 11.5" Diameter and 4" High...Finished with the not-so-secret stuff...but I'm kinda leaning towards some lacquer. I'll wait a few days.

Keith Burns
04-01-2006, 7:54 PM
Thats a keeper John. I really like the form. :) :)

John Miliunas
04-01-2006, 7:59 PM
Well done, John BUT, I agree on the lac!!! I think it would really add some additional "depth" to it. Squirt 4 or 5 coats, let it cure and buff 'er out!!! :) Nice job, my friend! :) :cool:

Mark Cothren
04-01-2006, 8:01 PM
Nice work on some fine spalted wood, John!

Thanks for the pictures!

Dick Parr
04-01-2006, 8:01 PM
Great job John! Great looking bowl.

Ed Scolforo
04-01-2006, 8:08 PM
You nailed that one, John! Beautiful wood and interesting form.
Ed

Cody Colston
04-01-2006, 9:10 PM
This is a chunk of spalted Ash that I got from Robert Mickley.

I can't stand it any more. I know Robert Mickley as "Quartlow". After meeting him, you should know that the nickname is appropriate. ;)

He is very innovative, down to earth and obviously generous to a fault. Nice to see that his wood is being turned into beautiful, useful objects. I know for a fact that he won't cut down a healthy mature tree, even though he is a sawyer. He may put on that redneck act but he's actually a conservationist.

Hope you don't mind, Quart. :D

Ken Fitzgerald
04-01-2006, 9:20 PM
As usual John......great form ...beautiful wood and finish!:)

BTW.......can a bowl......be shaped like a wide mouthed mason jar?:confused: Just curious......4"....with 4" sides........does have a rounded bottom......can a bowl resemble a wide-mouthed mason jar?:confused:

Andy Hoyt
04-01-2006, 9:38 PM
Ken - Put steel to wood and find out!

Almost forgot - Nice Bowl, John. Ash is fun to spin, huh?

Corey Hallagan
04-01-2006, 9:39 PM
Very nice John, I love it!

corey

Bernie Weishapl
04-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Great bowl John as usual. Nice form, fit and finish. Great work.

Jim Dunn
04-01-2006, 11:34 PM
Real pretty John.

doug webb
04-01-2006, 11:58 PM
Really nice John. You can stick that one in the next box of wood I get from you. Then I can impress my wife by telling her I did it.

John Hart
04-02-2006, 7:48 AM
Thanks All! I really do like working with Ash....although, this blank was completely dry so the shavings were a bit hot and it was pretty hard stuff.

Ken...The proper names for the different forms really ellude me. Personally, if it looked like a jar...I would probably call it a jar....but others might call it a vase....but then, if the opening is smaller than the diameter, then it's technically a hollowform. Got me!! Dunno.:)

Bob Noles
04-02-2006, 8:45 AM
John,

I really like the form of that one. Nice job Buddy!

Ernie Nyvall
04-02-2006, 10:14 AM
Purdy bowl John. I like the lip on it.

Ernie

John Hart
04-02-2006, 10:17 AM
Hey Ernie....Any progress on trying this shape? I know a while back you were wanting to git r done. Just wondering.

I've made some headway in getting comfortable with it. Kind of a pleasure really.:)

Glenn Hodges
04-02-2006, 10:37 AM
To prove I like this bowl so much it reminds me of how I liked the way I used to roll the rims on some of my bowls. I haven't done that in some time, but when I saw this one I knew I had to start doing that again. Thanks for the post John, it is a very pretty thing with a form you know know I really like.

Ernie Nyvall
04-02-2006, 11:22 AM
Hey Ernie....Any progress on trying this shape? I know a while back you were wanting to git r done. Just wondering.

I've made some headway in getting comfortable with it. Kind of a pleasure really.:)

Nope, not yet. I had, and still do have a bunch of walnut that I am trying different forms of NE's before I loose the bark. Then there was a few pieces of that that I sent you that I am trying different forms trying to show off the curl... and as I cut away some of that nice wood, I keep thinking...CORING TOOL. I have 7 or 8 in an alchy bath and about that many more drying.

Now that you mention it though, it's about time for some attempt at what you've done here.

Ernie

John Hart
04-02-2006, 12:47 PM
Then there was a few pieces of that that I sent you that I am trying different forms trying to show off the curl...

That big piece of walnut you sent me - I just put it on the chopping block. Finally figured out what it wants to be....a very tall Hollow Vase. Should be my largest ever.:)

Robert Mickley
04-02-2006, 7:20 PM
Ahh geeze Cody, your embarasing me :p. Just kidding thanks bud. Oh though I did have John and John convinced I was northern redneck.

John that sure turned out nice. If you want to get techincal it is black ash. and since it was siting up there on that shelf for a couple years I bet it was dry. I have to second the lacquer for ash. It really makes it jump out

Your welcome Sir. better on your lathe than in my woodburner.

John Hart
04-02-2006, 7:29 PM
Yup...It got lacquered today. 6 coats so far. The depth is really adding something and the colors are really standing out. I just love the reds in there. Hope they don't fade! Thanks again Robert!:)

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Good lookin' wood and GREAT lookin' bowl, John.

Bruce

Chris Barton
04-03-2006, 12:05 AM
I sure looks great John but, my company computer is down and I can't see it on my home computer. I have never been able to reslove that issue. But, you work never disappoints.

John Hart
04-03-2006, 7:03 AM
Chris..Which types of pictures can you see? There's the thumbnail with the little thumnail border around it...the thumbnail without the border...and then the pics that are hosted somewhere else. Can you see any of those?