PDA

View Full Version : Soooooooooooo Steve Ash?

Andy Hoyt
04-01-2006, 6:57 PM
Well? How'd you make out with that thing you asked me about; which I probably shouldn't mention by name.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-01-2006, 6:59 PM
Let me guess................Lima Alpha Tango Hotel Echo.......???????????????:confused:

Jim Dunn
04-01-2006, 6:59 PM
Is it bigger than a bread basket? Come on Steve get outa that car and answer.

Steve Ash
04-01-2006, 8:11 PM
There are two things I'm really glad about right now....

1.) I poured the concrete plenty thick in my shop.
2.) I know how to lay paint down with my DeVilbiss paint gun.

Yeah ....it's mine. Bet you guys are real happy you got to me.:D :cool:

BTW, Thanks to a couple of turners who gave me some good advice on my purchase. :)

John Hart
04-01-2006, 8:22 PM
Way Cool Steve!!! Old Iron...gotta love it. Congratulations!:)
Specs???

Steve Ash
04-01-2006, 8:29 PM
Yeah, I gotta thing for old...it reads.

1926 Huber ( farm tractor, was my grandfathers)
1928 John Deere GP ...farm tractor
1944 John Deere B ....farm tractor
1969 Chevelle SS .....fast car
1960 Wife .....Polish:D Just Kidding....she's a sweetie. She bought this for me for my birthday in 2 weeks. She's the best "oldie".

Specs....3/4 h.p motor 60" between centers (?). Variable speed. 4 tool rests, 1 face plate.....weighs a bunch. That's about all I can tell you right now.

Don Baer
04-01-2006, 8:30 PM
Kewl Steve. New Iron in a couple of creekers garages this weekend. Humor Andy and pint it white...:D

Cecil Arnold
04-01-2006, 8:30 PM
All Right Steve. Now you can sell the car and all the flat tools, 'cause you have been assimilated in the dark side.

Andy Hoyt
04-01-2006, 8:41 PM
Steve walks warily down the street,
With the brim pulled way down low
Ain’t no sound but the sound of his feet,
Old iron ready to go
Are you ready, are you ready for this
Are you hanging on the edge of your seat
Out of the doorway the shavings rip
To the sound of the beat

Another one bites the dust
And another one gone, and another one gone
Hey, I’m gonna get you too

Pete Jordan
04-01-2006, 8:48 PM
Yeah, I gotta thing for old...it reads.

1926 Huber ( farm tractor, was my grandfathers)
1928 John Deere GP ...farm tractor
1944 John Deere B ....farm tractor
1969 Chevelle SS .....fast car
1960 Wife .....Polish:D Just Kidding....she's a sweetie. She bought this for me for my birthday in 2 weeks. She's the best "oldie".

Specs....3/4 h.p motor 60" between centers (?). Variable speed. 4 tool rests, 1 face plate.....weighs a bunch. That's about all I can tell you right now.
This is great Steve! And I am not saying this because I will get more time on my lathe. Do you know what year it is? It looks like it is in great shape. Are you going to paint it to match your car?

Can't wait to see it up close!

Pete

Corey Hallagan
04-01-2006, 8:55 PM
Congrats Steve, I take it is ready to run, just needs paint?

Corey

Steve Ash
04-01-2006, 8:57 PM
Andy, thanks for your help and all your advice...I know you answered a bunch of my PM's. and they were all appreciated.

Pete, yeah you get your lathe back:D thanks a bunch you probably had as much to do with pushing me over the edge as anyone...you are way too friendly and helpful....as near as I have been able to find out, it was built in the 40's in Grand Rapids, Michigan (fitting I live so close)

Paint will not be the same as the Chevelle...that cost for that paint alone would prohibit me from ever buying any tools. That was expensive stuff! My friend that found this lathe for me has a abundance of Delta grey left over from his restoration. But me being a purist, I'll probably paint it the correct (yeecchh) color. Unless there are any suggestions?

Ken Fitzgerald
04-01-2006, 9:15 PM
Congrats Steve! I hope when I upgrade the Bomb...I hope I can find something like that!

Curt Fuller
04-01-2006, 9:32 PM
Oh Baby! You're gonna love it.

Here's a site you might want to know about.....You can email these guys and get schematics, parts, or about anything. They'll even give you the manufacture date if you send them the serial number.

http://www.eaglemachinery-repair.com/

I have it's twin

Andy Hoyt
04-01-2006, 9:33 PM
My pleasure, Steve. Always happy to help.

Color - hmmmmmmm - duh?

Jeff Horton
04-01-2006, 9:33 PM
KEWL! And old Oliver. Very kewl lathe.

I love old arn!

Joe Mioux
04-01-2006, 10:07 PM
STeve congrats on the "new" old lathe. It looks really well built.

Joe

Paul Douglass
04-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Now you have to get rid of the old John Deeres and get Olivers! Love those old heavy lathes, love those old tractors too. I watch antique tractors on the RFD TV. Got a "56 Ford 850 I try to start up tomorrow. Not quite as neat as the old John Deeres but I had it so I restored it.

Steve Ash
04-01-2006, 10:36 PM
Now you have to get rid of the old John Deeres

Oh, no! It is a family hobby. I've posted this pic before, but this is a small collection of our tractors that my dad and I restore. Dad (80) is on the JD 60 and my youngest son is on my Grandpa's Huber. Dad does a lot of the work himself, says it keeps him young!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/Huber.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
04-01-2006, 10:40 PM
Congrats on the new lathe Steve. That baby is a hunk of iron. Don't ask Andy what color Steve.:eek: :eek: You know he is going to want Mayo white.:eek: :D :D

Did you say the farmall is a Model B? I ran two of those as a kid. Kewl tractors bud.

Jim Dunn
04-01-2006, 11:45 PM
Steve, Andy votes for white. I'm a grey man myself.

John Bailey
04-02-2006, 9:25 AM
Steve,

Gotta' keep the green! Very nice old iron there.

John

Jim Ketron
04-02-2006, 9:45 AM
Congrats Steve!
looks like you do a great job restoring, that lathe should be no problem.;)

Bart Leetch
04-02-2006, 11:06 AM
Paint it green with mayo white pin stripes.

John Miliunas
04-02-2006, 10:49 PM
Steve, welcome back to the world of turning!!! A bigcongrats on your new acquisition! I'm thinking it will serve you well and, knowing you, I'm sure you'll have it looking better than new in no time!!! :D :cool:

Paul Douglass
04-03-2006, 12:01 AM
Sorry, turners just have to do it. This is off topic and I promise not to do it again but: Steve, beautiful tractors. Has the Huber ever been on an antique tractor show? Looks familiar. Here is mine. Just got it running today. The blue smoke cleared up after it ran about 1/2 hour. Ain't much but I've put a lot of hour on it and enjoyed the project.

Andy Hoyt
04-03-2006, 12:13 AM
Hey Paul - it is on topic. All four tires are turning

Steve Ash
04-03-2006, 7:48 AM
Sorry, turners just have to do it. This is off topic and I promise not to do it again but: Steve, beautiful tractors. Has the Huber ever been on an antique tractor show?

Paul, first congrats on getting yours running! No the Huber has never been anywhere other than on Grandpas farm and in our barn. Inside of the barn you see in the background are 7 more antique tractors and not all Deere's. There is also a corn husker built around the turn of the century (1903) that dad completely restored using the rotted maple (see whe are not off topic since there is wood involved) as templates to build the new pieces and put it all back together. I'd say 3 of the tractors are restored to a museum quality, the balance are of show quality. They get out of that barn to see the light of day on rare occasions, I can't get dad excited about showing off his restorations. He is content to pull them out, line them up by the road on a nice sunny day and let the passing drivers get a free show. Dad just finished a 1936 Silver King that is a pretty rare find.