PDA

View Full Version : Transtint and Target USl

David Scigliano
04-01-2006, 3:35 PM
I want to add Brown Mahogany Transtint to Target USl.... Does it matter if the USl is semi gloss vs gloss. I want to go with a semi gloss.. Also how much transtint do I add?

Jim Becker
04-01-2006, 4:26 PM
Yes, you can use the dye in the TC USL--the sheen is irrelevant. The amount is not something that anyone can truly tell you...but start with only a few drops and see what you get with a test spray of the number of coats you intend to use on scraps of the material it will be going on with the real project.

Matt Meiser
04-01-2006, 6:56 PM
I added a couple drops of Honey Amber to make it look like an oil-base product with great results.

David Eisenhauer
04-01-2006, 6:56 PM
It seems I read that a certain "Brown" may shock the chemistry in a certain finish (USL?) if just added directly to the finish. I believe the advice was to add the TT to some water, stir, let mix well, and then pour that TT/water mixture into the finish. Sorry to be so vague, but I'm 99% sure it was Jeff Jewitt on his website that brought it up. The color (only one color I believe) was specifically named, "Mahogony Brown", or "Van Dyke Brown", or "something Brown". As far as mixing, one oz of TT (1/2 of one of the little bottles of TT) in a quart results in a pretty rich mix, so you may want to start your sample mix using a dropper first by counting drops in a lesser amount of finish. Remember, if your first coat is too light in color, add in more TT to the finish and put on another coat to darken it some. Or change to different color to get a different highlight to come out with the first color. A common trick is to add in some of the "Amber" to an initial coat of shellac, to get a "Golden" type base, then add in one of the various "Browns" to the finish as a toner which knocks the golden/yellow look down, but still allows it sort of glow through the "Brown" a little. Best of luck.

nic obie
04-01-2006, 9:25 PM
Use just drops at a time. Don't mix 1/2 a bottle of Transtints with 1/2 a gallon of water or alcohol or lacquer thinner (yes it will mix with any of these).

Go slow and dilute it in stages. If you take it easy it is almost impossible to screw up.