PDA

View Full Version : Buffing System Question

Lee DeRaud
04-01-2006, 1:52 PM
I just got the 3-wheel buffing system from Wood'n'Things, which appears to be a straight clone of the Beall, down to the material used in the wheels, if I can believe both products' websites.

The instructions say that "it is normal for the wheels to shed some threads during initial use". That appears to be quite true, assuming that "some threads" means "about as much as a Welsh Corgi sheds in a year" (DAMHIKT).

Any idea when I can expect the cloud of "hair" to diminish? At the moment my garage looks like somebody tried to shear a sheep with a weed-whacker.:eek:

Andy Hoyt
04-01-2006, 2:34 PM
Lee - take some 120 +/- grit sandpaper and hold it on a flat piece of something as a backerboard and sand the wheels for a minute or so.

This will remove a lot of that Izzy-like stuff.

And once the wheels get really well loaded with the compounds this dilemma will pretty much go away.

How long? - Oh about 1,876,384,821,848,373,897,094.34 revolutions if my calculations are correct.:cool:

Lee DeRaud
04-01-2006, 2:47 PM
How long? - Oh about 1,876,384,821,848,373,897,094.34 revolutions if my calculations are correct.:cool:Think I better bump the speed up one or two pulleys: this could take awhile.:eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
04-01-2006, 3:29 PM
Lee..........I bought the real Beal 3-wheel system for my mini.......I've used the XXXXxxxx out of it for 2 weeks......and still.......if you can see through the fuzzies.....it does a fine job!:D

Ron Ainge
04-01-2006, 3:44 PM
as much as I hate to agree with Andy :p he is correct. I used 100 grit sand paper backed by a four inch sanding pad and had at the three bufing pads (it works the same with bowl buffers) and then started loading on the buffing compounds. Don't be surprised if you do not get a good job at first because it will seem like you are not getting any shine on you turnings. Keep loading the buffing pads and eventually you will get the results you like.

Cody Colston
04-01-2006, 5:29 PM
100 grit sandpaper stuck onto a scrap board is not only useful for removing the fuzzies but it's also handy to have when you overload the tripoli wheel with compound. :eek:

BTW, I have the Beall 8" buffs and the 3" bowl buffs but I got an extension adapter from Wood-n-Things. It screws onto the 1" x 8tpi drive and the other end accepts the buffs. Works very well.

Dennis Peacock
04-01-2006, 6:42 PM
I get my buffing wheels from Caswell Inc as the wheels are the same but about 1/2 the price of the Beall buffs. They usually have a buy one get one FREE type of deal. Great service and the buffs work great.

Jim Dunn
04-01-2006, 6:52 PM
Any idea when I can expect the cloud of "hair" to diminish?:eek:

When you nose is completely full of the stuff your done. That's why I grow a long mustache and tie it to my eyebrows. Built in filter:eek: and eye protection to boot.:rolleyes::p

Pete Jordan
04-01-2006, 7:55 PM
I get my buffing wheels from Caswell Inc as the wheels are the same but about 1/2 the price of the Beall buffs. They usually have a buy one get one FREE type of deal. Great service and the buffs work great.

Hi Dennis,
Can you tell me which wheels you order from Caswell? Do you do your buffing on a grinder or a lathe? If I were to use a lathe, what type of rod would I need to get?

Thanx,

Pete