PDA

View Full Version : Back in the saddle again

Don Baer
04-01-2006, 11:55 AM
LOML thinks I've lost it. Yesterday after working all day in Phoenix I drove 350 miles home and the first thing I did was unloaded my new iron. I set it on the bench and chucked up a piece of Eucalyptus that I rescued from the neighbors house. I just had to see how it turned. I started up the lathe but forgot that the last setting I had tried in Phoenix was 3900 RPM so the test piece became a scud missle. After retrieveing it from the other side of the Garage I reset the speed to super low and made a few chip. I'll finish ithe piece today. I think I'm gonna love this machine.

Richard Jones
04-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Don,

Hope you enjoy that Greenie as much as I have mine. It's really a stout little machine.

Rich

Bernie Weishapl
04-01-2006, 3:31 PM
Way to go Don. Looks like a good machine. Have fun and make some chips. Looking forward to some pictures.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-01-2006, 3:40 PM
Bring it on Don! We could use some more entries in the goblet contest!

Michael Stafford
04-01-2006, 5:57 PM
Sounds like a perfectly reasonable thing to do. What good is the new toy still in the box? I would have unpacked it and fired it up too! Hope you enjoy your new spinny tool.:D

Don Baer
04-01-2006, 6:25 PM
Bring it on Don! We could use some more entries in the goblet contest!

I will if my chuck arrives on time..;)

Jim Dunn
04-01-2006, 6:57 PM
Ya know Don, I think a lathe like that would go well in my shop. I really believe that it looks less scarey than some of the lathes I've seen. That said I've been looking for a way to interest my wife to try turning. She just may like to turn on something that size.

Oh and yeah I'd have done the same thing too. After 350 or 550 miles. After all you can spin all nite with that thing.

Andy Hoyt
04-01-2006, 7:00 PM
I will if my chuck arrives on time..;)

You don't need no stinkin' chuck.

Glue Block!

Go!

Keith Burns
04-01-2006, 8:11 PM
Commitment and dedication, important character traits:)

John Hart
04-01-2006, 8:30 PM
350 miles is a long time to think about turning something Don. I'm surprised that she was surprised!!!
I have to agree with Andy....I didn't have a chuck for 8 months. Time to rock!!:)

Corey Hallagan
04-01-2006, 9:41 PM
Congrats Done, I am sure it will be a great little lathe for you! Enjoy, I know I am looking forward to seeing some turnings from you!

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
04-02-2006, 9:18 AM
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me to git'er goin. As Andy and John have mentioned... a glue block. It's really helpful when you are doing something thin like a flat HF or a platter even when you have the chuck... so get used to it:D .

Ernie

Jim Ketron
04-02-2006, 9:50 AM
Congrats Don!
Have fun playing on your new lathe.