PDA

View Full Version : Shop layout input wanted

Jeff Horton
04-01-2006, 10:35 AM
I have worked on this off and on for month now. I think I have a workable solution now. Always open to input on ways to improve it.

http://www.kudzupatch.com/woodshop/shop_plan.jpg

My thinking:
Jointer and planner near the wood rack and prep wood at the rack.Either on moble bases against the wall, or perhaps in postion permantly.
Keep most cutting tools (Table saw, bandsaw, RAS) close together.
Keep a bench close by to catch the clutter... I mean tools :)
I use a lot of hand tools and planes. Keep the bench close by too.
Lathes by themselves near my kitchen cabinet sharpending station
Shaper, scroll saw, etc are seldom used so group them together
Have to keep the space availabe for car, truck boat etc repairs. But this space is available most of the time.I need to add my Dust Collector in there. I decided to get the machines like I wanted then find a space for the DC. I will probably do that after I actually rearrange and have a couple of weeks to use this and see if really works.

Ok, open for input!

Lee Schierer
04-01-2006, 10:50 AM
I like to have my jointer near my table saw because if I am ripping off strips, I loke to joint the cut edge before ripping the next piece. This cuts doen on sanding work later on and gives me a smooth surface to put next to the fence.

Think of your shop like a kitchen. Where will you be walking as you make a project. Try to cut down the number of steps needed to make a piece for a project. Fewer steps walking around your shop will save you time when making things.

Joe Chritz
04-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Lots of draws, cabinets, bench space, etc. The stuff will expand to fit the available space.

I have photos of my shop on here somewhere but in a nutshell the tablesaw is center with a large assembly/outfeed table. Jointer/planer are in line on one wall with a downdraft table and the chopsaw is along another wall with about 18 foot of counter top and drawers.

In my limited time in the new shop I have been pleased. Lots of room at the common areas that get used all the time.

As long as you have infeed and outfeed room for the planer jointer the layout looks great. Looks roomy which is a huge bonus. I still wish I would have made mine bigger.

Joe

Jim Becker
04-01-2006, 2:47 PM
I agree with Lee, but see you are essentially "tool corralling" these tools...it can still work that way.