PDA

View Full Version : Box Joints

Joseph Doran
04-01-2006, 9:52 AM
I am relatively new to woodworking and I am working on a project that involves some exposed box joints. I built a jig for my table saw and used it in the past with success on box joints that weren’t exposed. The problem is I am using an inexpensive stacked dado set and I am disappointed with the results. The bottoms are not flat and the sides aren’t straight.

I have been reading a lot of posts and reviews on saw blades and I will attest that my experience adds up like others that buying cheap will end up costing more. Fortunately I don’t have a lot invested in the dado set. I use a Forrest WWII for most of my other work and I am very pleased with the results.
<O:p
I am looking for some input on if I would be better off buying the Freud SBOX8 box joint blades or invest in a high quality stack dado set.

Dennis Peacock
04-01-2006, 9:55 AM
I am looking for some input on if I would be better off buying the Freud SBOX8 box joint blades or invest in a high quality stack dado set.

I have read several good reviews on the SBOX8 and plan on getting one when I get the money. I love exposed box joints and this will hold true until I can master hand cutting of dovetails. ;) :D

Jim Becker
04-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Welcome to the 'Creek, Joseph!

Like Dennis, I have also heard good things on the new Freud box joint set. If I started doing these joints, I'd definitely consider it for my arsenal.

Brad Evans
04-01-2006, 11:26 AM
Joseph, I have the Freud Box Joint blade set - it works great.

A note of caution... I first purchased mine through Amazon and it came with a chipped tooth. Sent it back for another one - the replacement had a chipped tooth as well.

Sent that back for a refund and found a local store that had it where I could inspect at the counter.

Brad
Urban pix: www.citysnaps.net

Tom Pritchard
04-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Hey Joe, WELCOME ABOARD!! As you know, this is a great forum with knowledgeable and friendly members. If these folks can't come up with the proper answer, we're all in trouble:) ! Great to see you as a member Joe! I'm sure you will have much to contribute. You're a great guy and a talented engineer who's input will be welcomed. Let the sawdust fly!!!

Charles Bruno
04-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Joseph,
I also bought a inexpencive dado set. Just as you found out any joint that is exposed looks bad.

Do you have a router? If so make a router table or a router table extention on your table saw. Make a box joint jig for it and use your router. I find the cut of the router bit to be flat and clean. This works great for me and it saved me from spending $$$ on a good dado set.

Laurie Brown
04-01-2006, 12:34 PM
What kind of bit do you use in your router for the joints? I made a jig myself yesterday but found the bit I was using (1/2" straight cut bit) was giving me bad tearout on the backside of the board I cut.

skip gleichman
04-01-2006, 12:48 PM
I use a 1/2" spiral carbide bit with a shopmade jig on my router table extension of my table saw. I get very tight joints that look great after glue-up and sanding. Since the bit is always in the same place, the "fence" part of the jig seems to prevent tearout.

Vaughn McMillan
04-01-2006, 2:05 PM
Joseph, I've got the Freud box joint set, and I like the results I get with it. I was previously using an Avenger dado set (which worked pretty well for me), but the Freud set is better IMHO. The last few sets of box joints I've made I didn't even use the typical box joint jig...I just used the miter gauge and incremented the position of the wood with my Incra fence as a reference.

BTW, welcome to the Creek. We have several other Rochester folks here as members.

- Vaughn

Hank Knight
04-01-2006, 2:39 PM
Joseph, I have the Freud box joint blade and I couldn't be more pleased with it. I was using a Forest Dado King for box joints. It did an O.K. job, but it left little "ears" on the top corner of each cut that were visible. I bought the Frued blade set because it makes a perfectly flat bottom cut and it cuts 1/4" and 3/8" box joints, the two sizes I use most. Here's a picture of a joint I cut with the Frued set in 1 5/8" oak for a studio easel I'm building for my daughter.

scott spencer
04-01-2006, 3:49 PM
Welcome to the Creek Joe! This is a great place! Ya gotta watch out for Tom, Vaughn, Corey, John, Jim, Frank, Matt, Gail, Josh, Dave, Andy, Tim, Jeff, Steve, George, Kent, Dale, Ken, Lee, Barry, Keith, Brian, Charles, Mark, and Michael, but other than that just about everybody's harmless! ;) :D

Good luck on your project.

Gary Swart
04-01-2006, 3:55 PM
I've not used the Freud blade, but it sure sounds like a great blade for box joints. As far as a dado blade though, get the Forrest Dado King and have the best blade for dados. Using a router bit and router table is a good option for the box joints, too.

Joseph Doran
04-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Tom you were right!! - this forum is a great resource. Thanks for all the recommendations folks !!!!

happy wooodworking