PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Project Finally Done!

Vaughn McMillan
04-01-2006, 5:50 AM
I've been quiet about it here on the Creek, but after the beginning of the year, I decided to try my hand at cabinet building. Our kitchen has always been the sore spot in our house, with painted plywood cabinets and old tile countertops, so LOML gave me the green light to build new cabinets. It ended up being more of a project than expected, since we relocated all the appliances and re-did the floor as well.

Here's a shot of the original cabinets:

And here are a few of the completed project:

The stove wall:

The sink wall:

And the fridge/oven wall:

I used a simple rail and stile pattern made of solid snipewood, with braided shlamaca ply for the door panels. The carcasses are made of salvaged underwater pallet wood, biscuit jointed and pocket screwed to the stainless brass frame. The cabinets were tinted with an old family recipe of BLO, amber shellac, and Tabasco sauce. The clear finish is dipped-on polyresinthane, hand-burnished with aloe vera gel and and topped off with semi-gloss Pledge. LOML is into metalwork, so she hand-forged all the hardware except the drawer glides, which are the new mag-lev zero friction jobbies from Blum. You just look at a drawer, and it closes.

All in all, I'd say this was my easiest project to date. I'd estimate my time from concept to completion was less than 35 minutes. :D

- Vaughn

George Kretschmann
04-01-2006, 6:44 AM
That looks great...!!!!:D

Andy Hoyt
04-01-2006, 6:46 AM
Very nice, Vaughn.

So... what are those tiles on the floor?

Hand-rolled and textured Play Doh cured in an Easy Bake Oven?

Russ Filtz
04-01-2006, 7:05 AM
Usually I just stain clothes with food products! :D

David Fried
04-01-2006, 7:37 AM
Vaughn,

All the old kitchen really needed was an Avocado colored fridge to be like totally retro and kewl!

The new kitchen is a beauty. Tile on the walls makes a whole lot of sense and the floor looks wonderful! The cabinets look as professional as I've ever seen!! (I'd say more but those are all the adjectives I know.)

We have a fair supply of snipewood on the east coast but cannot get the good Schlamaca - I'm sooo jealous!

The final result is great although I suspect you're glad it's over.

Did you manage to build-in one of your cutting boards?

Dave Fried

Gail O'Rourke
04-01-2006, 8:12 AM
Are you seeing if we really read the posts or just look at the pictures?

I love the kitchen, it is really gorgeous, I love the cabinets and the tile work - awesome job. I really like the warm color of the cabs and it looks like you gained some more storage, maximizing your space. Great work.

Roy Wall
04-01-2006, 8:36 AM
All in all, I'd say this was my easiest project to date. I'd estimate my time from concept to completion was less than 35 minutes. :D

- Vaughn

Vaughn - I felt the same way when I remodeled the Mud room and 1/2 bath off our garage entry...........;) -- YOU have to allow the 35 minutes for all that extra tile work and dry time.........:cool:

A terrific job - beautiful work from you and the LOYL. The kitchen is fabulous!!! Very Impressive!

Karl Laustrup
04-01-2006, 8:59 AM
Well, I've looked at the before and after pics.

I think you've made a grave error in judgement. :( I suggest you spend the next 45 minutes tearing out that ugly snipewood and schlamaca and get back to that wonderful green ply cabinetry in the before picture. ;)

Surely you can't think those after pictures are better than the before pictures. ;) :eek: :D

Vaughn, that is some wonderful work. I think that was more than 35 minutes though. More like about 40-45 me thinks. Almost as good as getting a new house. I assume LOYL likes it and that's all that's necessary.

Andy Hoyt
04-01-2006, 9:12 AM
Hey Karl - There's still time to get rid of all that hickory cabinetry in your new house and achieve that old time look. The builder's still around, the cabinet installer still needs to set hardware. A simple Change Order will do it. Trust me.:D

David Duke
04-01-2006, 9:12 AM
Do I detect a little April foolery going on here :D :D !!

All kidding aside great looking cabinets with excellent execution all the way around.

tod evans
04-01-2006, 9:13 AM
nice job vaughn! pretty classy.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-01-2006, 9:19 AM
Very nice job Vaughn...........April Foolery that is!:D

John D Watson
04-01-2006, 9:23 AM
Nice work Vaughn. You know they now make Green Tobasco eH.

Jim Dunn
04-01-2006, 9:33 AM
Well I didn't read the post at all and I can tell it was a job of love and labor. He labored she loved the outcome. Did somebody say tabasco? I'm hungry for eggs and grits:)

Jim Becker
04-01-2006, 10:14 AM
Outstanding, Vaughn!!! Great job!!! I hope you have the same level of satisfaction I have from doing my own kitchen...it's nice every time you walk in the room and know how much work went into it...'cause you did it.

Jim W. White
04-01-2006, 10:49 AM
Awesome kitchen work Vaughn!!

Thanks for the laugh also.

Jim

Pete Harbin
04-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Yowsa Vaughn! :eek: Now that's a project! It looks great...there is almost no hint that it's even the same room!

Did you lay the tile too?

Pete

Josh Goldsmith
04-01-2006, 12:00 PM
:D Very good Job!!!! I recently re-did a kitchen not quite up to yours but close so i now the amount of work/love that goes into doing a job like that. I am not sure if i missed this but did you completly build the cabinets or did you reface them? Anyways great job!!!!!!

Vaughn McMillan
04-02-2006, 1:23 AM
Some of you are just too easy. :rolleyes: Hook, line, sinker, and the 12 volt trolling motor! :D :p

I hope everyone had a great April Fool's Day!

For the record, I did not make the cabinets...the before pics are LOML's old house before we sold it, and the after pics are from our current house, before we moved in. The kitchen had recenly been re-done, but not my me. :) They're nice Euro style cabinets and Italian tile, and I don't anticipate replacing them for a long time.

- Vaughn

Dan Forman
04-02-2006, 5:10 AM
You really had me going there for a while, all manner of superlatives were playing across my mind, until I started reading the text at the bottom, at which point a sense of decomposition in the state of Denmark began to make itself known. Well, at least it IS your actual house (I hope), and Somebody did a fantastic job. A pretty good job too of trying to pull the wolf over our eyes. ;)

Dan

Kirk (KC) Constable
04-02-2006, 10:07 AM
The hardware looks 'Missiony'...and if that's the case, LOYL prolly saved you a LOAD of bucks. :)

The boxes look okay, too. :D

KC

Walt Pater
04-02-2006, 11:13 AM
Outstanding! Nice touch with the tiled toe kicks. You are a glutton for punishment. Great work.

Gary Herrmann
04-02-2006, 12:37 PM
I would just like to add that Rockler is having a 35% off sale on braided shlamaca ply.

<Edit>

After I double checked, looks like the sale ended yesterday - sorry...

Pete Harbin
04-02-2006, 1:47 PM
I've been had! :eek: :p

Nice one Vaughn...you stinker!

Pete