PDA

View Full Version : OK, here is what I was hiding...

David Rose
04-01-2006, 1:59 AM
I cut the flutes on two stiles very neatly on the router table. They came out as nearly perfect as anything I have done. That should have tipped me off that "great things were to come". Would you believe I glued the stiles in fine. One with short flutes up, the other down. :confused:

The next pics show my corrections. My ole Dewalt router has a tendency to create a nice bulb when I plunge it. I think alignment is different when it is free than when it is locked. At any rate, since I knew that, I couldn't just slap an edge guide on aligned with the old flutes.

I built a Bill Hylton modified frame to align with the old flutes. This allowed me to set the router depth like a fixed base and tip it down. The drill rod pieces allowed me to set the 'guide plate' on them to set the frame and align it with the flutes. I had to do little to no sanding to match up the flute cuts! Yay! Two of them out of six required slight sanding.

Thanks for the help!

Ian Barley
04-01-2006, 3:25 AM
Good save David - keep quiet about it and nobody will know.

Dave Fifield
04-01-2006, 3:32 AM
Nice glue-up David. What's it going to be after you've turned it? :D

Dave F.

David Rose
04-01-2006, 4:07 AM
Ian, that is what I was thinking. I just wanted more opinions. :o

David

Good save David - keep quiet about it and nobody will know.

David Rose
04-01-2006, 4:11 AM
Dave, I am really into flat stuff. I've always thought the "twirly guys" were sort of... twisted. :D Just saying it sounds twisted. About all I can say at this point is that the front piece hopes to be part of a blanket chest ala Bill Hylton style. I think all his twirls come on the end of a router bit. I don't mind spinning those.

David

Nice glue-up David. What's it going to be after you've turned it? :D

Dave F.

Dave Fifield
04-01-2006, 4:56 AM
Fine biz David! Yeah, the (us) turners are a bit off balance (as you get when you spin around a few times....) sometimes. Actually, your panels look great - nice work! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished chest. :)

Cheers for now,
Dave F.

David Rose
04-01-2006, 6:01 AM
Thanks for the compliment. I've been working on the lathe all day. A metal turning one that is, so maybe that is why I like flat wood better. Or maybe I just have higher resistance to temptation. :eek: At least so far... :p I will show some pics when I get it done. Going from up/down flutes has kind of slowed me down a bit. I think it mostly just hampered my confidence. I mean that is quite a "booboo" and then not an easy cleanup. Well, it wasn't bad really, but did cause me to think. And that is always a bit awkward for me. ...thinking, that is...

Keep the wood spinning! :cool:

David

Fine biz David! Yeah, the (us) turners are a bit off balance (as you get when you spin around a few times....) sometimes. Actually, your panels look great - nice work! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished chest. :)

Cheers for now,
Dave F.