PDA

View Full Version : New Unisaw soon to be gloat

Bryan Rocker
03-31-2006, 10:47 PM
My new Delta X5 36-L31B50 arrived this afternoon. The delivery was made easy by spending the $40 for lift gate service. I was headed home when the LOML said they delivery folks were at the door. By time I could get home, 10 mins, they had already left. Much to my surpise it was resting peacefully in the middle of my garage. I carefully pulled the pile apart checking for damage, the only damage I found was on the rail box for the Bies fence. The rear rail had a slight bend to it but after was said and done it was a non-issue. I have spent the last 8 hours unpacking and assembly the saw. All that is left is to figure out how I am going to pull 220 to it. I will pick up a 220 outlet and install it tomorrow after I get done with HFH. We are pulling forms after we poured the footings Wed. Oh and it rained like who laid the rails tonight.....Anyway I checked for flatness and alignment and the saw is dead on. The only issue I have is the wood extension board has no support in the middle next to the wing and it sags just a hair there. I will fix that soon enough. I will post pics in the next day or two. I must say Timbline tools and their shipping company did an outstanding job of packing and shipping it. From order to delivery was only 7 days. Now I just need to find a home for my old Duracraft 15 amp direct drive saw........

Scott Vigder
03-31-2006, 11:07 PM
I bought this same saw in Nov 05 and you are going to love it! Yes, you'll need to support the extension table, and seriously look at a WoodWorker II from Forrest for the most precise cuts this side of lasers.

Brad Townsend
04-01-2006, 9:00 AM
The only issue I have is the wood extension board has no support in the middle next to the wing and it sags just a hair there. I will fix that soon enough. Over time, it will probably sag even more. The Bies extension is not the finest piece of engineering and you may eventually want to do like many have done and build yourself a good one. Delta/Biesmeyer used to provide a "Z-bracket" free upon request to fix the sag problem. Got one for mine.

When I got my Uni two yeares ago, this bracket was featured in the assembly instructions, but was not in the package. I figured it had been left out by accident and called Delta. Their explanation was that it was decided it was no longer needed and wasn't included any more, but they would send them out to those who requested them. They never should have stopped including them in the first place.

Bryan Rocker
04-01-2006, 8:49 PM
Update.....I pulled the old oven 220 wiring and found out nothing else is on the run and its 10/3 wire. Off to Lowes for a 220 plug and got it wired in no problems. Now for the moment of truth. I plugged in the saw and hit the on switch. It jumped to life. I pulled a nickle out of my pocket and put it on the table. It didn't even wiggle! I have a little more fine tuning to do to my fence but even the Delta blade cuts crisp and clean. I have pictures and will have them uploaded later tonight. I also picked up the adapter so I could use my shop vac as a dust collector. One minor issue there the 4" adapter was the size as the hole on my saw and I was initially going hmmm duct tape hmmm then LOML said why don't you try that old piece of dryer vent. Well that was brilliant idea and it worked well.....

Vaughn McMillan
04-02-2006, 3:35 AM
Bryan, nice "gloat in the making" (will be complete when we see the pics).

I've found that a 4" to 2" rubber sewer line coupling/reducer with hose clamps ($5 or $6 at the BORG) works great to connect a Shop Vac hose to a 4" dust port. I've got them on my jointer and bandsaw. The 4" end is tightened onto the tool, and the 2" end is tightened down just to the point where it makes a good friction fit on the vac hose, but you can disconnect the hose quickly without tools.

- Vaughn