PDA

View Full Version : Ok..I made a fork

John Hart
03-31-2006, 10:42 PM
There's a store on Amazon that has asked me to make some stuff. I don't know if that's bad or good...but they wondered if I can make a salad bowl with serving forks. Well, I didn't want to do the standard fork thing so I came up with this design.
I'm begging for criticism, cuz I'd like to make them cool and different. Any and all critiques are greatly appreciated.

It's walnut...about 10" long. The walnut is green and soaked in BLO...but this is a prototype so I'm not worried about the finish really.

Thanks!

Dennis Peacock
03-31-2006, 10:52 PM
Looks real good John!!!! I'm very impressed with it. Have you ever turned one out of a 3/4" think flat board before? It's a real challenge, but it can be done. Talk about a forced education on tool control!!!:eek: :rolleyes:

Very pretty John!!!! Very nice.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-31-2006, 10:55 PM
I like it John..........The handle looks comfortable and would be easy to use by hands of various sizes. I wouldn't want to stab a hunk of beef with those tines though!:D

Mike Ramsey
03-31-2006, 11:02 PM
Really I don't think I qualify to give critiques to anyone, but the fork
looks a bit fat for the bowl...kinda like me! Maybe thinner without the bead?

Jim Dunn
03-31-2006, 11:08 PM
John I see your just forking around again:) Nice job. Now let's see the spoon

Bernie Weishapl
03-31-2006, 11:10 PM
Looks good to me John. Would like to see the others you make. I am going to have to make a couple myself.

Curt Fuller
03-31-2006, 11:39 PM
That's a fine fork John! Can't wait to see the matching spoon or the dish that the spoon will eventually run away with.

Andy Hoyt
03-31-2006, 11:40 PM
Too cool!

Handles look a bit on the short side, but that may just be the picture.

Oh - and two forks per set - right?

Amazon?!?! If it's hot you'll have to hire all of us to help you keep up with the orders.

Corey Hallagan
03-31-2006, 11:56 PM
That looks great! I agree with Andy the handles look short but the shape looks great.

Corey

Frank Chaffee
04-01-2006, 12:04 AM
John,
While the handle of your fork appears to be a very ergonomic shape for heavier tasks, the dishing up of rabbit food does not require the heft and leverage it affords.
Longer and wider tongs on the forks might better approach the delicate task of selecting and grasping/scooping salad material.
Frank

Pat Salter
04-01-2006, 12:27 AM
Those look great. I think I would watch the size of the handles, some folk don't have very big hands....

Ed Scolforo
04-01-2006, 6:15 AM
John, Looks like you've been pounding your fingers with a hammer again:D
They look good overall but I agree with Andy and Frank's assessments. BTW, how long does it take to make a fork like that?
Ed

John Hart
04-01-2006, 6:22 AM
Well...I'm definitely hearing that it is too fat. I seem to have a problem with that as "fatness" seems to creep into all my projects. So, today, I'll sleek it up a bit and also make a matching spoon, paddle, or other fork and see how it looks. Thanks everyone!

Ed...this piece, start to finish, took 40 minutes.

Dennis...Nope, never tried it....In fact, this is my first fork.

Rich Stewart
04-01-2006, 6:26 AM
Gonna need a bigger bowl John. That one is fine for an individual serving of salad. Really pretty pieces just too small.

Michael Stafford
04-01-2006, 6:43 AM
I am not sure I like all this talk about "fatness". Can't we use words like stout, big boned, portly, short for his weight, gravitationally challenged, excess adipose tissue, etc.?:p :D

John, the handle appears to have a little excess adipose tissue. Think about who is most likely to use your salad set. If ladies are going to use it the portly handle might not fit as well in their hands. But regardless of whether your fork is big boned or thin that is pretty cool. Nobody is ever gonna accuse John Hart of not being creative!!!;) :D

Editor's note: See how much better it sounds to use other descriptive words instead of just saying fat.....:o

Andy Hoyt
04-01-2006, 6:55 AM
Too cool!

Handles look a bit on the short side, but that may just be the picture.

Oh - and two forks per set - right?

Amazon?!?! If it's hot you'll have to hire all of us to help you keep up with the orders.
Big Mike is right. Allow me to restate my thoughts.

Too Fat!

Handles look a bit on the short, squat and pudgy side, but that may just be that totally fat picture.

Oh and two short, squat. and pudgy steamshovels per set - right?

Amazon - if it's fat with orders you'll have to hire all of us XXXXL people to help you keep up with those orders.

Mark Singer
04-01-2006, 7:14 AM
Oh, so it was you? I thought I smelled something:rolleyes: Nice job !

David Fried
04-01-2006, 7:26 AM
... a bit on the short, squat and pudgy side ...

Yet another vote for a longer version. There seems to be very little separating the handle from the tines, perhaps a longer tang (?) in between.

Hope you were/are smarter than I was when I made my spatula. I just chucked up a 3" x 13" board and started turning! Next time I'll definiately remove a truckload of waste on the bandsaw first!!

Otherwise, looks like a salad fork! Good Job!

Dave Fried

doug webb
04-01-2006, 7:56 AM
I be fat....I have large hands. I like it. But...... If I eat salad, I prob wouldn't be fat. Seriously, I think the longer will solve the fat looking problem. Slight curve to the tines?

Paul Douglass
04-01-2006, 10:07 AM
I got to say it, will it scoop ICE CREAM?

I like the shape and all but agree it looks a bit short and hefty.

Jim Becker
04-01-2006, 10:22 AM
Nice job, John. The set looks really great!

Anyone interested in wooden implements, especially spoons might want to look at the new issues of Woodwork. (June 2006) There is an article on Norm Sartorious who is a well-known spoon maker. Not a lot of turning, but incredible work.