PDA

View Full Version : Delta 37-275 X5 - Amazon deal arrived today - slight damage

Mike Priest
03-31-2006, 9:35 PM
I am not sure what to do. I was ecstatic when my wife called me at work today to tell me that my new 6" delta jointer was arriving today via freight. I almost didn't buy it since I am over-budget on tools, but when they threw in the mobile base for a total of 313.79 after rebate I couldnt resist. (I will be eating PB&J for lunch for the next several months to make up for it)

I get home and unpack and start the setup. When I hoisted the bed onto the stand I noticed the problem below. Its a cosmetic problem, but it still bothers me. The infeed of the jointer has a chip in the cast iron. I see 2 options:

1. Deal with it
2. Call Amazon and tell them, and see what they will do about it

anyone have any opinions on this?

I dont really want to return it since its really a small problem, but Its bugging me that the most expensive tool I own came damaged.:(

Mike Goetzke
03-31-2006, 9:46 PM
You are right - it's not much damage (you could probably blend it in nicely) , but, if you're like me I would notice it every time I used it especially on the infeed side.

I might call Delta to see what they can do first.

Mark Rios
04-01-2006, 1:32 AM
Mike, I deal ALOT with Amazon and sometimes get things that are damaged and/or something else is wrong with them. Not too often but sometimes. Call them and tell them the problem. They most of the time will offer a discount (20% usually) if it is something that you're willing to put up with. They like to do this in lieu of going through all the trouble of returning the item, especially something as big as this. Give it a try.

Amazon 1-800-201-7575

hth

CPeter James
04-01-2006, 6:05 AM
Mike, I would call amazon and see what they will do based on emailed photos and conversation. I think you will get some financial help here.

Then, I would get a good mill file and take the sharp edge off the table on both ends and slightly on the sides. I do this on all my tools anyway. It allows for a smooth surface to feed the stock over without scaring it. I find that when the machine the tops on the stationary tools the create a sharp edge that I don't like, so I just file and the sand it into a smooth edge.

CPeter

scott spencer
04-01-2006, 6:40 AM
Hi Mike - My biggest concern would be if the table alignment was damaged. If not, I think I'd deal with it. My Grizzly jointer arrived with a similar blemish a few years ago...I was disappointed too, but it passed in about 2 weeks... I never give it a thought now. Getting a replacement could be an ordeal that ends up not worth the hassle.

Good luck!

Mike Priest
04-01-2006, 10:45 AM
I will finish the setup and verify everything is ok. Then call Amazon and see what they will do. It seems odd that they would pack a 225 pound peice of cast iron in styrofoam. When the table was damaged the styrofoam in the box practically exploded, pieces everywhere.

BTW how many of Deltas X5 tools are now made in China? I know the jointer was, says rignt on the box.

Mike Priest
04-01-2006, 3:32 PM
I finished the assembly on the jointer and found a couple of other problems. The outfeed table adjustment was busted, and there was a broken stop screw on the infeed table adjustment.

I called amazon and they kindly offered to ship me a new one, or 20% off
I chose the 20% since the problems are pretty small and I can fix them myself.

I was very satisfied with there response on this issue.

scott spencer
04-01-2006, 3:52 PM
20% off that amazing price is perty darn good! Feeling any better now? :) That's like a free saw blade, 2 extra set of knives, dinner with the wife, or wood! :D

Tom Araya
04-01-2006, 5:27 PM
Black Knight: mearly a flesh wound :)

Brian Parker
04-01-2006, 8:06 PM
I got mine on Friday and I got it almost all put together that night. I was kinda urked when I found that on my outfeed table there are very light scratches going from front to back. I was backfilling a ditch for about 8hrs today and I didn't get a chance to finish assembly on it yet. I think that I'm going to finish it up first before I call them. Hopefully all I have are the light scratches problem wise.

Mike Priest
04-01-2006, 8:20 PM
I filed down the edges of the table, and applied some Ford tractor paint that I had. Its almost a perfect match to the delta grey.

For the price I have no problem fixing the screw on the outfeed adjustment, It took a while to set the table with a rubber mallet and a prybar, but how often do you change the outfeed table?

The infeed table seems to be working fine, its just missing a stop to keep it from raising to much. The pulleys were also way out of alignment, but that was no real problem to fix. I improvised a plumb bob out of a string with some weights on the end.

I fired it up and it runs smooth as a whistle!!, I ran some test stock through it and am very satisfied.

Brian Parker
04-03-2006, 8:39 PM
Mike,

I had a problem with the bolts attaching the fence to the horizontal shaft which moves the fence in and out towards the front of the jointer. It seemed like the one didn't want to go in by itself. I had some spare metric bolts laying around which were a little longer and worked well.

I decided to call Amazon about the 3" wide set of scratches on the outfeed table. My first call was sent to India and they wanted to refer my case to someone who would e-mail me about it. I then hung up and got someone in India again and then the third time I got someone in Canada. Thankfully the Canadian rep was a bit easier to understand. Unfortunately she said that since it was a big ticket item that it would have to be refered to some other department and they would e-mail me about it.

Did they do this to you too or did they actually deal with the issue on your first call? This is now my second most expensive (pre rebate price) tool that I own and I would like to think that it would live up to the Delta quality name brand. If you did e-mail correspond with them did you send pictures or how did this all go down? I really dont want to send back the top since I cut the boxes up to get it out easier (I did it alone).

I don't know I'm just frustrated at Amazon for their outsourcing right now, I had to tell the lady in India my order number three times before she got it right and she messed up my credit card sercurity numbers 5 times before I had to get transfered to someone else who could understand it. I realize that since they 'gave these away' that they don't have much money left but this is assinine.

Brian

Mike Priest
04-03-2006, 8:52 PM
I talked to one lady, she answered after a 2 minute hold on Saturday. She took my order number, and reviewed my options with me. I also didnt want to ship the jointer back as I had destroyed the boxes and spent a couple of hours assembling. I didn't send any pics in to them, although I had them ready. She just fixed it. I am sorry you are having a different experience, I wonder if a certain day/time increases the probability that you will get someone that can actually help?

BTW I called the number that was posted earlier in this thread

Matt Guyrd
04-03-2006, 10:33 PM
Brian...two things, first, I too have the light scratches going from front to back on the outfeed table about an inch or so from the cutterhead side. After I installed the fence, I noticed what the scratches were from. Looking at the bottom of the fence, you'll see that most of the fence is about and 1/8" above the table with the acceptiom of a 1.5 to 2" section that is casted lower, by design...take a look. I believe this is the culprit. I cannot feel any appreciatable scratches, but they are visible. I suspect with a coat of wax, all will be good.

Second, my cabinet has a small dent, maybe the size of a golf ball. I called Amazon, spoke to a woman from India (?), who took my information. I made it clear that in lieu of sending the item back, I would be willing to accept a refund. She proceeded to tell me that because it was a large tool, she would have to forward my information to another department and they would then email me after review.

I received an email about two hours later indicating they were sorry about the damage and wanted to offer me a $50 refund. To accept, I visited a link in the email. I then received a confirmation email that further increased the refund to $75 without asking. Gotta love a new jointer with mobil base for $246. No questions asked, no pictures needed.

I have not completed the setup...just assembled and fired it up. Still need to check the tables, fence stops, etc. My pulleys were off by about 3/8", but aligning was no problem.

Sorry to hear you are having problems with their customer service, but don't give up, I think they are willing to make it right!

Matt

Brian Parker
04-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Matt,

It took a little while but I finally got it settled. When I called CS to give them all of the info they sent me to the tool crib people and after telling the guy that I don't have time to take off for a tool to come again (haha riiiiight) that I would be open to other ideas. Long story short I got $58 refuned to me. That should buy me some wax and all those new $5 router bits from Woodcraft :D

Once I put the fence on and moved it in and out I saw what it was from myself. I decided to call on it becuause the tool was supposed to be brand new and if there are gonna be scrathes on it I'm gonna be the one who puts em on there.

But all is well and good I haven't used it much except to touch up some edges but it was pretty good with the different woods thatI fed it. So that puts it down to $263.99 AR for me and possibly lower if someone buys my mobile base (hint hint ;) )

Rob Bodenschatz
04-07-2006, 10:32 AM
I noticed that 1-2" lower section of the fence too. Can anyone tell me why it's done that way? This is my first jointer so I don't really know any better but it doesn't seem right to me.