PDA

View Full Version : Anyone need some Maple?

Dick Parr
03-31-2006, 7:45 PM
Does anyone need any maple for turning, I have a little bit.:eek: Driving home today I saw some guys cutting down a maple tree and stopped to ask if I could get a little and they said sure. Our tree cutting services around here have to pay to dump any trees they cut down as we have no tree dumps like a lot of place do.

I also wanted them to stop by and give a price on taking a rotted oak tree down that will fall on my shop one of these days plus the lady next door wanted some pines removed. They stopped by to take a look at the trees and give me a price. They said I could have all the wood and if I took the maple it would only cost me $30 to take the oak down.:D Well since I am a wood collector I said sure bring it on. They almost got it all here today before it started raining and so there are 9 more pieces to bring. They are the biggest ones yet from the base of the tree.

So if anyone wants to come by and pick up some maple, it's free.

Oh Ya, did I mention that the wife is not to happy with me right about now.:eek: :confused: I don't understand??:D

Jim Ketron
03-31-2006, 7:59 PM
Uh Dick, you better hide all the bonkers and the frying pans.:eek:
sounds like a good deal on getting that tree down think I might have done the same:D

Chris Barton
03-31-2006, 8:12 PM
What a great haul Dick. I will have to remember to make certain to visit on my next trip through town. Till then, start turning!

Ron Ainge
03-31-2006, 9:04 PM
Boy, would I love to live close enogh to you to get some of the wood. I don't know where I would put it and I think that my better half would think the same way that yours does. Keep those bonkers out of reach for a while:) .

Jim Becker
03-31-2006, 9:22 PM
Unfortunately, it's a long commute to Nashville from here...like 11 hours each way. Oh, well...it's not like I have a lot of time in the shop anyway! (Nice haul...0

Ken Fitzgerald
03-31-2006, 9:59 PM
Nice haul Dick! I wished I was about 2000 miles closer!

George Conklin
03-31-2006, 10:27 PM
Nice haul Dick! I wished I was about 2000 miles closer!

Same here:(

George

Dennis Peacock
03-31-2006, 10:37 PM
Nice haule Dick. I just LOVE turning maple....but it's hard to find around here in the form of logs that folks want to get rid of. Congrats on the Maple.

Rich Stewart
03-31-2006, 11:00 PM
Not happy? My wife would brain me if she looked out and saw that. Haha I had two little chunks of cedar next to my shed and she asked me everyday for a couple weeks what i was going to do with it. Finally hid it behind some bushes.

John Hart
03-31-2006, 11:03 PM
Geez Dick...are you sure you can spare a stick?:D Nice haul.

Bernie Weishapl
03-31-2006, 11:07 PM
Nice haul Dick. Would love to have some of that maple but if I drove to pick it up I would get bonked.

Andy Hoyt
03-31-2006, 11:25 PM
Wanted: Some of that Maple. Will swap for Spalted Hickory or Aromatic Cedar

Pat Salter
04-01-2006, 12:22 AM
Oh God, why do these people always live so far away.......:rolleyes:

If you're going to either the Utah Woodturning Symposium or the AAW Symposium, take a truck load, you will probably be able to swap it for something or even pay for some of your gas getting there!

Ed Scolforo
04-01-2006, 6:08 AM
Boy, Dick, are you in trouble!!

doug webb
04-01-2006, 8:04 AM
I would like to have a bunch of it. Would you be kind enough to turn some into a rough, generic bowls for me first though? I wouldn't want to wind up with a storage problem like I hear some people have. Really envious, Dick. Great haul.

Robert Mickley
04-01-2006, 8:15 AM
Nice haul Dick, dont worry the wife will get over it.