PDA

View Full Version : I need a bandsaw fence..........

Brian Hale
03-31-2006, 7:11 PM
..... for my Atlas 12" bandsaw. The table is 14" square cast iron. Is Kreg the only option? I'm not a big "aluminum extrusion" fan :(

Brian :)

David Rose
03-31-2006, 9:29 PM
Brian,

Woodhaven makes a really nice bandsaw fence for smaller saws. I don't remember if they finally added the extended end lockdown to their standard, but it is available for the router fence and works great. They will put together whatever you want, if you tell them what you want to do. Their fence makes it easy (with extruded aluminum) to add taller faces. I haven't needed the taller faces, so it has been great for me even resawing some fairly tall pieces.

If you don't like extruded aluminum, build something similar in wood. I did before I bought their fence. What I built worked about as well, though not quite. If the edges will glue up very square, and you can devise an easy lock down on the far end, and you don't need faces, it will all be the same.

I do like being able to add stops, for the very occasional odd job, to the fence. However, I still just clamp a stop to the table about as often.

David

..... for my Atlas 12" bandsaw. The table is 14" square cast iron. Is Kreg the only option? I'm not a big "aluminum extrusion" fan :(

Bruce Wrenn
03-31-2006, 11:28 PM
Check out Mark Dugenski's book on the band saw and companion video. He shows how to make a fence from three pieces of scrap that is adjustable for drift, and is MICRO adjustable laterally in incriments of 0.004" - The thicknes of a post it note. If you are a really big spender, then you can use paper money instead.

Brian Hale
04-01-2006, 8:09 AM
Thanks Guys!

Lots of internet searching only revealed a couple manufactures and they're all an aluminum guide rail where i'd rather have steel. The extruded fence doesn't bother me as much as the rail so perhaps i can make something from bar stock.

Gary Curtis
04-01-2006, 8:15 PM
I just got the Woodhaven last week. Haven't installed it yet. It seems that the dimensions of the parts are significantly bigger than Kreg components. If that means stronger, then that's good.

I'm fitting mine to an old 18" Grizzly. The table top measures 18" by 18", and the Woodhaven rails are more than adequate.

Gary Curtis
California

David Rose
04-01-2006, 8:57 PM
Brian, I'm not sure about that short a fence. It might not flex. I have a 26" (deep) table atop my factory Delta one on a 14" saw. I used an extrusion 36" long in the old style stock that Woodhaven used. There was considerable flex at the blade and beyond. The flex probably was at the holder rather than the fence itself. At the time, they used the same extrusion for a router table and it had a lock at the far end. Since the fence could go out of square to the table with each loosening, I got the router table lock and use it on the far end of the fence. It has a "pad" that sits flat on the table. I simply press down on the pad at the far end while locking the fence at the near end, then lock the far end. That levels and locks both ends quite effectively. There is virtually no flex now, though it does require an extra step. But it really takes no more time.

David

Cary Falk
04-01-2006, 11:48 PM
Brian,
I have a the 16" Jet BS fence on my 14" Delta BS. It is rock solid. The fence is Al, but the rails are steel. I had to get the fence from the larger BS because of the table size differences. I got the Jet for $30 cheeper than I could get the Kreg. The Jet has a rear angle iron that the fence rests on similar to the Delta T2 TS fence. I have no complaints. Cary

Jeffrey Makiel
04-02-2006, 10:21 AM
I'd like to echo Cary's comment. I have the Jet 16" fence on a very old 18" bandsaw. It's well made and quite solid.

When I was looking for a new fence about 3 months ago, I checked out the Kreg at a WoodWorking Show and the Grizzly. I found the Kreg has a fair bit of deflection and the extrusion did not turn me on. The Grizzly is an L-shaped fence (vs. T-shaped) which would not allow me to put the fence on the right side of the blade for "cradled" bevel rip cuts with the table tilted. That struck me as odd. Although I did not see the Grizzly fence in person, it seemed well made with good materials.

In the end, the Jet was the winner for me, and it was also the cheapest. It also has some adjustment for blade drift, albeit not very convenient. It's an accessory item for 14" and 16" Jet bandsaws because these saws don't come with a fence. Amazon.com has them, but to see a picture, check out the Jet website and download the PDF Instruction booklet for the 16" bandsaw to see how it mounts. I paid around $80 with free shipping.

cheers, Jeff :)

Anthony Anderson
04-02-2006, 3:41 PM
I bought Jet's rip fence for my 14" Jet bandsaw, and I am happy with it. I am sure that this will work for you, even if it does mean a little drilling. HTH, Bill

Brian King
04-02-2006, 3:53 PM
Hi,
I have an idea for you. I've got an old Unisaw jet lock fence I am going to cut down to fit my 14" Rockwell bandsaw. You can pick these up at reasonable prices from time to time at online auction places.
Hope this helps.
Brian