PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Night Handtool Chats

John Edwards
03-31-2006, 6:54 PM
Remember a few months ago fellow Creekers got together for a hand tool chat. Seems that it is no more ??

Is there enough interest in starting it up again ?

Mark Stutz
03-31-2006, 7:17 PM
John,
I really enjoyed the Hand Tool chats, and miss them. I thought they stopped when the software got upgraded and the "Chat button" disappeared. If there is any way to get this going again, I would love to see it. I was under the impression that the Chat capability would be added back at some time.
Mark

Bob Noles
03-31-2006, 7:59 PM
I too would like to see it resume. I only got to visit once, but sure enjoyed it.

Roger Bell
04-01-2006, 10:25 AM
I participated from time to time the last go-round. If someone were to assume responsibility for getting it going again, I will probably stop in.

Tom Stovell
04-01-2006, 11:05 AM
John,
I enjoyed the few chats I was involved in. I'd stop by if they were to resume.

Tom

John Edwards
04-01-2006, 9:26 PM
Mr. Moderator, Dave ?? Can you fill us in as to when (if) the chat feature will resume ?

Dave Anderson NH
04-02-2006, 9:18 AM
I don't know when chat will resume or if it will. Aaron has been pretty busy with his regular job putting in lots of extra hours on a major project.

I'll check with him to see if it will be added back. There were some problems at one point a couple of years ago with some raunchy language and some nasty trash talk in the general chat area. Mr. Super Moderator Ken pounced on it hard, but he spent a lot of time monitering the area and trying to keep things in line. The miscreants were punished after repeated warnings to clean up their act. Fortunately, none of our folks here on the hand tool side were involved.

Keith Outten
04-02-2006, 9:35 PM
Restoring the chat server has been a very low priority since there have not been any requests to do so. Since you have asked we will see what we can do to get it back online. Aaron will be back from Florida late this week, maybe he could take a look at the chat server this weekend.

John Edwards
04-03-2006, 8:30 PM
Thanks Kieth,
Seems that from those whom responded that there is a bit of interest in starting the chat back up again.

I enjoy the Tuesday night chats on WC. William does a good job at keeping things focused. Nothing (to me at least) is more annoying then to enter a chat on a specfic subject and find the conversation all headed in a different direction. We come to learn and share. Not talk about the fishing trip you plan on taking 2 years from now.

Alan DuBoff
04-03-2006, 9:09 PM
Seems that from those whom responded that there is a bit of interest in starting the chat back up again.One of the real advantages of a chat, is where you can get global input from folks, on specific topics.

Seems that it would really be nice to have an online version of the "plane maker gathering" you setup recentely. Imagine plane makers submitting pics showing tools, etc...and even though folks can't use those tools, they can see and ask the maker questions, and hearing what others might ask could inspire and provoke thoughts from the community. Would be different than you setup, but still, could be very valuable to the community.

Saw night, chisel night, plane night, etc...if there was some type of topic that folks could contribute data/info/pics at the chat, that could put an interesting twist on things.

John Edwards
04-03-2006, 9:37 PM
Interesting thought Alan.
Indeed it would be great to have a "main topic" and stick to it. At times along with a "guest" speaker. Again WC has done some of this in the past but I bet we could come up with some "Fresh Blood" along the lines of the plane event.

Karl Holtey, Brian Buckner, Bob Baker, that Wenzloff guy:eek:, Reverand Hock, Joel from TFWW etc. are a few whom come to mind.

How about a few of the folks that have Bio`s posted by mister "Z" ?

Can we get a count of hands ?? All in favor say Aye.

Mike Wenzloff
04-03-2006, 9:41 PM
Aye!

Take care, Mike

Mark Stutz
04-03-2006, 9:47 PM
Aye!

Mark

Alan DuBoff
04-04-2006, 12:15 AM
John,

Aye! count me in if that Wenzloff guy says he's in!:cool:

Don't forget to invite that Hanson guy though! And that Taran guy, that McConnell guy, that Schaefer guy, that Sirotich guy, that Spehar guy, that TLN guy, that Lee guy, and even that Schwartz guy...darn, this is only for saw night!:D

Maybe we'll have to have more than one saw night...:rolleyes:

I can't help but think that chat is somehow a technology that hasn't been exploited to it's full potential. If it's possible to incorporate some media (pics, PDFs, webpages, etc...) to go along with the chat, it seems a lot is possible.

Mike Wenzloff
04-04-2006, 1:43 AM
Snip of the saw nuts list...but whole heartedly agree with inviting the list of real saw nuts...
I do know how to use other tools ;) and immensely enjoy talking about all things hand tools.

While I love saws, one of the fun things I do is to simply practice making runs of moldings. It's relaxing.

I agree the chats should be focused. The task of moderator is a difficult one and would need an equally focused individual, one who can balance free exchange and yet ensure the goals for the evening are mostly met.

Well, speaking of goals, I need to get back out to the shop to finish up for the day.

Take care, Mike

Alan DuBoff
04-04-2006, 3:11 PM
I do know how to use other tools ;) and immensely enjoy talking about all things hand tools.Sure, but those only suppliment saws...:D

Seriously, I didn't mean to imply we could only pick your brain on saws, I know there's a lot more inside of there that we can all gain from!;)

Mike Wenzloff
04-04-2006, 3:24 PM
Oh I know. Just funnin' ya.

But I do really love saws. What I would really like is to sit around on the porch with a couple locals and talk tools and methods. Those days are nearly passed, but do remember that form when I was young and the men would stop by to pick up saws at my grandfather's after they were sharpened.

An electronic version of chatting on the porch would be welcomed.

Take care, Mike
back to the shop...

Alan DuBoff
04-04-2006, 3:43 PM
An electronic version of chatting on the porch would be welcomed.Absolutely agree. Would be nice also, and didn't want to imply that tools would be the only viable topics.

A lot of things to share, and much to learn, from all of us.

Don Baer
04-04-2006, 5:39 PM
I would gladly sit on the sidelines and learn.

Tom Stovell
04-05-2006, 3:18 PM
I can't help but think that chat is somehow a technology that hasn't been exploited to it's full potential. If it's possible to incorporate some media (pics, PDFs, webpages, etc...) to go along with the chat, it seems a lot is possible.

Alan,
The way the chat was set-up before it was possible to post a picture into the discussion. I posted several pics from a hosting site when we were discussing work benches. I'd hope a new chat area would have the same features....and I'm looking forward to this idea of having tool makers come and share with us. (Do you think we should invite that D. Anderson fella sometime? :) )

Tom

Dave Anderson NH
04-05-2006, 4:12 PM
That'd be pushing the edge of the envelope Tom. Ya don't wanna invite bums like that. :D

James Owen
04-05-2006, 10:47 PM
In
.....Can we get a count of hands ?? All in favor say Aye.

AYE!!!
Sounds like a terrific idea.