PDA

View Full Version : pen blanks

Stephen Hibbs
03-31-2006, 6:13 PM
3 questions really-
1-Do I cut the blanks going lengthwise with the length of the tree/branch/plank
2-if I have to, is it better to use a drill bit that's slightly bigger or smaller than the 7mm hole desired.
3-can they be turned wet or do they have to be dried entirely?

I'm thinking about getting into this pen turning fairly seriously after making my first few, and I'm thinking of just using a plank of walnut to make my first batch of blanks to skirt paying for more blanks, and later using my own wood.

Raymond Overman
03-31-2006, 6:21 PM
1) It depends. Grain orientation plays a part in the way the pen turns and the finished product looks. With the grain lengthwise, diagonal, and accross the grain it will have different effects within the pen. Diagonal and accross the grain causes more stress and is harder to turn but produces interesting results.

2) Use a 7mm bit with a 7mm kit. It makes a difference.

3) I don't suggest using wet wood but you can. It will still move sometimes creating waves, cracks, or discoloration in your finish. This is especially true if you turn "fat" style pens where you have different thicknesses of wood in the same pen.

Good luck.

Dennis Peacock
03-31-2006, 6:54 PM
3 questions really-
1-Do I cut the blanks going lengthwise with the length of the tree/branch/plank
2-if I have to, is it better to use a drill bit that's slightly bigger or smaller than the 7mm hole desired.
3-can they be turned wet or do they have to be dried entirely?

I'm thinking about getting into this pen turning fairly seriously after making my first few, and I'm thinking of just using a plank of walnut to make my first batch of blanks to skirt paying for more blanks, and later using my own wood.

If you need pen blanks....let me know...You pay shipping and I'll ship you more than you can turn. ;) Cherry, Walnut, Locust, Mahogany, Maple