PDA

View Full Version : Band Saw Guides.....

Terry Hatfield
08-15-2003, 7:10 PM
Hey guy's,

What is the correct lubricant for BS guide bearings? I have a couple that are making some noise.

Also, are there any cool block type guides that are round? The G1019Z BS that I have has 7/16" round stock guides. All I can seem to find are square.

TIA,

Terry

Frank G
08-15-2003, 7:37 PM
If the bearings are making noise I would just replace the. You can get fairly inexspensively at a bearing supply house. Get sealed bearings abd they will probably be good for life. Slow RPM. Don't know what size Grizz blocks are but if you let me know I probably can find a deal that will keep you going for awhile. Lot of discount parts stuff that was made for other things.

Terry Hatfield
08-15-2003, 8:52 PM
Frank,

Thanks for the advice. You are totally correct. I just came in from the shop. I decided to take the guides all apart for a better inspection and 2 of the 6 bearings are bad. I'll head out to my local bearing supply in the morning for some new ones.

No big deal on the cool blocks. I was just wondering if anyone had seen any round ones.

Thanks,

Terry

Bob Lasley
08-15-2003, 9:12 PM
Terry,

I got some phenolic blocks for my grizz, now if I can just remember where. :confused: It may have been at the local toy store. I'll be there tomorrow and if they still have some, I'll get you a package.

Bob

Terry Hatfield
08-15-2003, 9:20 PM
Bob,

Cool!!! Thanks!!!

Now where was that list of other things you can buy me while you are there......... :D

t

George Summers
08-15-2003, 10:45 PM
Terry -

For my 'Z' I use ½" hardwood dowel rod. I cut it into about 1½" pieces, soak them completely submerged in mineral oil for 24-48 hours and then while still completely submerged nuke them in the microwave for 30 seconds. I then store them in a zip-lock baggie. You can make several years worth at a time. I push them right up on the blade, completely covering the teeth and all. When they get a little ragged, I either pull them out and sand them flat again or just replace them.

George

danny haber
08-17-2003, 10:29 AM
Terry,

You probably already know this but when I went to Frank Klause seminar years ago, he mentioned that the only band saw guides he used were made from a naturally oily wood called "lignum vitae". He just cut pieces to fit where the cool blocks normally reside and ran the blade tight up against the wooden guides. Just another thought for you to think about.....Danny

Dennis Peacock
08-17-2003, 10:51 AM
Just replace the existing guide bearings with a Laguna LT16HD......comes with brand new guide bearings and you will have a hard time choking that one while cutting almost anything...... :)

Terry Hatfield
08-17-2003, 1:03 PM
Just replace the existing guide bearings with a Laguna LT16HD......comes with brand new guide bearings and you will have a hard time choking that one while cutting almost anything...... :)

d,

hahahahahahaha....very funny. :D I'll get right on that.

Terry

Curt Harms
08-17-2003, 5:25 PM
Hi Terry-

I have a G1148 and it uses the round guides as well. I bought some coool block knockoffs years ago at Woodworkers Warehouse. I searched their website and didn't find anything, but I thought the local store carried them. I'll check next time I'm in there.

In addition to the wood dowel solutions, I've read about using brass dowels as blade guides. Any idea how/if brass would work? How about Aluminum or UHMW? I know I know, lotsa question no answers. :p

Curt

Terry Hatfield
08-17-2003, 6:09 PM
Hi Terry-

I have a G1148 and it uses the round guides as well. I bought some coool block knockoffs years ago at Woodworkers Warehouse. I searched their website and didn't find anything, but I thought the local store carried them. I'll check next time I'm in there.

In addition to the wood dowel solutions, I've read about using brass dowels as blade guides. Any idea how/if brass would work? How about Aluminum or UHMW? I know I know, lotsa question no answers. :p

Curt

Curt,

I'm going to give the dowels a try. I have some 1/2" oak, but it's too big for my guides. I will sand it to fit and give it a try. Not sure about any of the other materials.

Terry

George Summers
08-17-2003, 7:35 PM
Terry -

My "Z" took ½" dowel stock with a little room left over.

George

Bob Lasley
08-17-2003, 8:31 PM
Terry,

I have your cool blocks. Check your email.

Bob

Terry Hatfield
08-18-2003, 8:20 AM
Terry -

My "Z" took ½" dowel stock with a little room left over.

George

George,

Beats me...3/8 to small...1/2 too big. I will just sand the 1/2.

Terry

Terry Hatfield
08-18-2003, 8:21 AM
Terry,

I have your cool blocks. Check your email.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks!!!!! Don't see anything from you in my email though?????

Terry

George Summers
08-19-2003, 12:30 PM
Terry -

My apologies. I made my dowel guides so long ago that after your last post, I wasn't so sure so I checked when I was in the shop last night. Mine are made from 3/8" dowels and work fine.

George