PDA

View Full Version : Which Circular saw blade for Metal?

Jerry Todd
08-15-2003, 6:54 PM
Help! I need to cut some metal roofing (5 V crimp 26 gauge metal- the Home Depot variety). Would like to use my circular saw but need some advice as to what type of blade to use.
Thanks, Jerry

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-15-2003, 8:23 PM
Jerry, I would think a dry diamond type blade would work, and probably be the safest choice in blades for thin metal such as this. I have cut this type of material with a cheapo Carbide Blade, and the noise was deafening! I haven't found much that the Diamond blades won't cut, but there may be a better option. Maybe check out a few websites, like Disston or Vermont American, or other blade manufacturers and see if there are any suggested applications listed...............just an idea? Good Luck, and work safely..........this thin metal can easily get away from you.

Jason Roehl
08-15-2003, 8:40 PM
Help! I need to cut some metal roofing (5 V crimp 26 gauge metal- the Home Depot variety). Would like to use my circular saw but need some advice as to what type of blade to use.
Thanks, Jerry

Get one or more of the $2-3 wafer/abrasive blades. They wear out kinda quick on heavier metal, but 26-ga. should be no problem. They look alot like the ones for masonry, too, so make sure you get the right one (but honestly, I can't tell a difference, and have interchanged them in a pinch).

Tony Falotico
08-15-2003, 9:08 PM
Hey Jerry, I'd try the wafer/abrasive blades like Jason suggested (I'd like to know where he gets them for $2-3) though it might be kinda rough on thinner metals. I'd probably try a hand held jig saw first with a fine tooth metal blade, or give my sawzall a shot with a fine tooth metal blade.

How are you liking North Florida? Give it another 60 days and the mornings will be nice & cool with that crisp fall feel'in. But beware -- the students will be arriving in the next couple weeks & G'ville gets kinda crazy. Stay away on Saturdays when there is a home game. Alachua is a nice place. Did you try the cypress for your blanket chest project?

Jason Roehl
08-15-2003, 9:26 PM
Hey Jerry, I'd try the wafer/abrasive blades like Jason suggested (I'd like to know where he gets them for $2-3) though it might be kinda rough on thinner metals. I'd probably try a hand held jig saw first with a fine tooth metal blade, or give my sawzall a shot with a fine tooth metal blade.

How are you liking North Florida? Give it another 60 days and the mornings will be nice & cool with that crisp fall feel'in. But beware -- the students will be arriving in the next couple weeks & G'ville gets kinda crazy. Stay away on Saturdays when there is a home game. Alachua is a nice place. Did you try the cypress for your blanket chest project?

Got 'em at the Blue Borg. Pretty sure that was the price. I think last time they were even DeWalt abrasive blades for that price.

Here's a link to one at the Orange Borg:
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=Products_2%2fPower+Tools&BV_SessionID=@@@@2087840609.1060996516@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdjadcjdmgjllfcgelceffdfgidgmm.0&MID=9876

Tony Falotico
08-15-2003, 10:02 PM
Your right Jason, last time I bought them at Lowes I got the 14 incher's for the chop saw, so your price is about right for a smaller one. Senior moment, seems I have lots of them lately!

They are kinda neat, put them in the chop saw & wear em' down, then in the circular saw and use em' up. To bad they won't fit in the grinder!!

Jerry Todd
08-15-2003, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the advice on the saw blades. Tony, I have not yet tried the cypress as the shop is not running yet. They installed the A/C today and the electricians will finish the final electric on Monday. Then I will paint the floor and move the tools in. Oh ya, Have to have the final inspection so the meter gets installed.
Again, Thanks everyone for the advice.