PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
03-31-2006, 5:28 AM
Well, it's that time of the week again.

What's on the agenda for these next couple of days?

Me, I don't have a clue yet, although it will probably have something to do with the new house. We are getting close. Only a little over two weeks away. Got a lot of stuff to do to move again.

Hope ya'll have a good weekend and accomplish all you set out to do. :)

Karl

Chris Barton
03-31-2006, 6:13 AM
Working on a table, probably turning a few pieces on the lathe and a little finishing work. Karl, how is it going with your x31?

Karl Laustrup
03-31-2006, 7:00 AM
So far so good, Chris. The saw is awesome. Such a difference from my old 10". Need some more practice using the slider though. Have only used the jointer a couple of times and the planer only once as a test. Once this moving in gets done, I'll really start figuring out all the good stuff about the unit.

Karl

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-31-2006, 7:10 AM
Man, it is Friday already..... :(

Sheesh...

This weekend, any spare time I have will be spent getting one of my bikes ready for it's new owner....

Cheers!

Dwayne Payne
03-31-2006, 7:18 AM
Woodworkeing show in Houston this weekend. Will probably go today and tomorrow...don't want to miss anything.

Dwayne

Mark Pruitt
03-31-2006, 8:13 AM
Hope to build a new clamp rack. Also, time to begin doing some yard stuff which I don't particularly enjoy.:( I notice that the stupid deer are already eating on my plants, so this weekend I get to put out some deer repellant which stinks to high heaven. If I could get close enough, I'd whack one of 'em with a 2x4.:mad: Too bad I'm in a neighborhood where I can't just shoot 'em. My Sunday will be mostly shot as I have a lunch appointment that will likely drag on all afternoon. Oh well....I've sure had a few good weekends here lately so I can't complain....;)
Mark

Steve Braman
03-31-2006, 8:26 AM
Strap a wall, sheetrock and hang my first cabinets. I didn't make the cabinets, but they needed to match the other half of the kitchen. I also don't have the skills, time or permission from my ohter half yet to take on a project of that magnitude or visibility. I should be able to start hanging the cabinets Saturday morning. Having not done this before and being an engineer who needs to overplan everything, this could take me a while. Somewhere it there I need to go to a community meeting about the redevelopment of Route 1 and get out to see the Cherry Blossoms. Hope you all have great weekends, I think I will be really enjoying mine.

Julio Navarro
03-31-2006, 8:29 AM
Continuing with the cyclone. I've been slowed down a bit with a persistant nagging sore elbow which makes it very difficult and painfull to squeeze with any force at all. Am starting to think its that corpal tunnel syndrome thingy I keep hearing about (I heard it can happen in you relbow as well).

I have welded almost all the components to the cyclone, my welding is improoving a bit, I only have the cone remaining. Its the largest part and should be finished this weekend.

Besides that my son has a football game this weekend and I will probably be cleaning up the shop most of the time I am not working on the cyclone.

Steve Ash
03-31-2006, 8:31 AM
Saturday a visit to the TAX MAN.....yeecchh!
Sunday....start the healing process in the shop or go for a creeker visit.

Tyler Howell
03-31-2006, 8:33 AM
More amily time sister's home from Rome. We are doing the around the clock watch with mom.
Little more home remuttling.
Creekers are in town. Maybe a visit;).
Staying close to home.

Andy Hoyt
03-31-2006, 8:54 AM
Gonna turn a little bit. Strike that. Gonna turn a lot. Nothing else planned.

Chris Barton
03-31-2006, 9:11 AM
Continuing with the cyclone. I've been slowed down a bit with a persistant nagging sore elbow which makes it very difficult and painfull to squeeze with any force at all. Am starting to think its that corpal tunnel syndrome thingy I keep hearing about (I heard it can happen in you relbow as well).

More likely tendonitis or more commonly known as "tennis elbow." Take ibuprofin (motrin) as labeled, reduce activity of the affected elbow and some people find relief in a band brace around the upper forearm.

Good Luck!

Chris

Tyler Howell
03-31-2006, 9:15 AM
[quote=Chris Barton]More likely tendonitis or more commonly known as "tennis elbow." Take ibuprofin (motrin) as labeled, reduce activity of the affected elbow and some people find relief in a band brace around the upper forearm.

Good Luck!

RICE works great.

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

Bill Webber
03-31-2006, 9:35 AM
Old Upright Player piano! Gotta move it. I'm planning to move it on a small lawn-equipment trailer. I can winch it up on there. I'll throw a pad over the top. I made a plywood cover with 2 x 4's blocking underneath. I drilled six holes through the top (plywood and 2 bys) for straps to the trailer. I've added plywood to the trailer bed and padded blocks will screw to the plywood. I think it will stay on the trailer.

I'm concerned that some portions of the 75 mile move are pretty rough. Any suggestions for protecting the player and piano mechanisms? I'm going to lay some loose cloth material between the hammers and the strings but I can't think of anything else to do... other than driving slow and aggravating the rest of traffic. :rolleyes:

Ron Wright
03-31-2006, 9:49 AM
Tonight my son and I take in the Nationals baseball game. Saturday a walk in downtown D.C. to take in the Cherry Blossoms (along with four or five hundred thousand of my closest friends). Sunday ...finally...woodworking (and maybe a little yard work):)

Ken Fitzgerald
03-31-2006, 9:50 AM
1. Sit on the LOML so she doesn't overdo it while recovering from surgery.
2. Grocery shopping.......see number 1
3. Clean the curlies from the shop floor.
4. Neighbor and friend wants to watch me do some turning. She may want to become a turner. So, I'l probably turn another goblet.
5. Investigate a couple of local wood sources for a spindle table project I've got going.
6. Do the taxes.

Julio Navarro
03-31-2006, 10:09 AM
More likely tendonitis or more commonly known as "tennis elbow." Take ibuprofin (motrin) as labeled, reduce activity of the affected elbow and some people find relief in a band brace around the upper forearm.

Good Luck!

Chris

Thanks Chris, Tyler I will be doing all three recommendations. I think the hardest part is the slowing down cos of a silly pain, especially when you are so anxious to finish a project. I cant even comb my hair it hurts so much(not that I have much hair to comb)

Brad Noble
03-31-2006, 10:22 AM
Just more work on finishing the inside of my shop. Got the 66 located pretty close to where I want it. Need to raise it up some, that'll be fun. That thing is heavy! Gotta put some facing and surface goods on my wall mounted workbenchs, assemble the outfeed table and mount an under-bench sliding door cabinet that is 6' long by 28" deep. Then, I get to complete the duct run for my DC. Oh yea, then I get to move outside and clean up around the shop. It's a mess! LOML is after me to do the clean-up thingie. But, all in all, it should be a good weekend.

Brad

David Duke
03-31-2006, 12:06 PM
Going to the WWing show tomorrow, suppose to meet up with a couple of fellow Creekers,looking forward to it. Saturday evening the LOML and I will be attending the Jr/Sr Prom, (I know I'm a little old for that but trustees are expected to attend if possible plus my wife loves seeing the kids all dressed up.)

Sunday is still kinda open, probably go see my mom and pick up a freezer she has given my son for his home.....good an excuse as any to go see my grandson!!

Hope everyone has a safe, fun and productive weekend.

Dennis Peacock
03-31-2006, 12:36 PM
Got more flatwork to do than I care about at the moment. Got to get started on them very quickly. Also am finishing up the countertops and backsplash for the church cabinets and I plan on doing the final install next week.

The In-Laws are visiting this week and won't be leaving until Sunday, so it'll be family visit time until then.

Pete Harbin
03-31-2006, 12:48 PM
Planning to take the sander off of it's legset and move the Jet mini on, and then install a Herc-U-Lift to make it mobile. Still considering whether or not I want to keep the RAS as I'm re-orging the shop. Hopefully there will be some time to practice turning some pens!

We're going to a baby shower tonight for another couple that was waiting on an adoption right along with us. They have a new little boy too! They started the process the same time Jill and I did, so we're really glad they didn't have to wait much longer than we did.

The Stars play two this weekend...Duck hunting with Anaheim tonight and a dethroning of the Kings tomorrow. :D :D Go Stars!

Here's my little man, Ty, all geared up for tonight's game!

Pete

Brett Baldwin
03-31-2006, 12:51 PM
Rearrange shop for inbound toyls. Get current things on mobile bases and maybe make the wood rack I really need. Also taking in a little live music Sat. night at music fest.

Jim O'Dell
03-31-2006, 1:18 PM
Well, after Bill Pentz made mention, after I wrote something about using my PVC duct work up in the attic portion of my shop, that if there was an unforseen problem it wouldn't be seen until the problem got a lot bigger!! So that got me to thinking what I could do to make the PVC safer in the attic. I devised a way to make a metal shroud using some valley flashing I had purchased to try to use for my strip light reflectors, but abandoned because it wasn't working well. This shroud will be open to the shop so that if anything catastrophic happens, it will be visable.
Long story to explain what I'll be working on this weekend! :D :D Jim.

Chip Charnley
03-31-2006, 1:22 PM
With a little luck, on Sat (or maybe tonight) start fabricating the sides/backs of some builtin shelves for the pantry from MDF. Got the shelves themselves made from misc 3/4" oak/maple/hickory. Before someone goes off on the MDF sides, the whole thing is going to be painted, so sides and backs are MDF, shelves are hardwood. No face frame or doors just builtin shelves for storing foodstuffs, dishes and pots/pans in the pantry.

Besides, the wood and MDF are all things I had on hand. :D

Vaughn McMillan
03-31-2006, 1:32 PM
SWMBO hasn't fully told me what I'm doing this weekend, although I know I'll be spending a fair amount of time running around town with her, helping to get things lined up for an event she's working on.

Shop-wise, I hope to finish "mobilizing" my little Workmate bench and build a pair of ring boxes I'm planning for a gift. I may also make a new jig or two that would be handy for the boxes. I have stuff I made for my original Ridgid fence than doesn't fit my new Incra setup. I need to either modify the existing or make new pieces for some the things I want to do on these boxes (and other future projects).

BTW, Pete, Ty looks like quite the guy. Congrats and well done.

Happy (and productive) weekend to all -

- Vaughn

Chris Dodge
03-31-2006, 1:42 PM
Dinner tonight with friends visiting from out of town. Saturday I am continuing work on an entertainment center for a client and visiting with a new client on a maple desk she wants built. Busy weekend! Hope all goes well for everyone!

John Miliunas
03-31-2006, 1:46 PM
Work tonight and tomorrow at Job #2. Sunday might try to do dry assembly of project for LOML. Hope everyone has a great weekend. :cool:

Helen Gee
03-31-2006, 1:52 PM
Will be finishing up a really simple router table so we can start work on in-laws anniversary present (dual picture frame stand thingie). Already have pieces cut yesterday WOOHOO! Gots to finish it before end of week since we will be seeing them next Friday :eek:

Don Dean
03-31-2006, 1:55 PM
Back in the shop to set it up after six weeks of recovery from surgery. Can't wait to finish and post pictures of my very frist shop.

Matt Meiser
03-31-2006, 1:58 PM
Finishing up a mirror project that got the final coat of finish early this AM. Probably some seat time on the tractor cleaning out a drainage ditch, and installing a Router Raizer I picked up at Rockler after a meeting I had this morning (Detroit Rockler is about 1-1/4 hours away from me, but when a client is paying for the drive, it becomes convenient.)

Jim Becker
03-31-2006, 2:00 PM
I'm dubious about shop time, although I'd really like to get in there! I suspect there will be a bunch of outdoor lawn/garden activities, especially if I can get some "little hands" helping.

Jerry Ingraham
03-31-2006, 3:22 PM
State wrestling tourney tomorrow for my son, clean the shop on sunday after church, and complete the finish on a spalted maple bowl.

Michael Gibbons
04-01-2006, 1:13 AM
My wife is going to a bowling tournament on Sat so I have control of the kid. I have to help him with a school project. His fourth grade class has to build replicas of lighthouse.found on the oceans or the great lakes. My son picked one from the lakes, its square so that should be easier than a tapered cylinder. After that fiasco,I'm going install a brush to keep the lower wheel clean on my bandsaw. So off to "THE BORG''. Maybe practice dovetails and work on my tool cabinet that I messed up last week.

Bart Leetch
04-01-2006, 1:19 AM
Probably work on this little gitter that I picked up for $1000 a 1994 S10 4 cyl automatic with new tires.
Most all the miles are highway miles all 161 thousand & till doesn't burn oil. There is a canopy shell that goes with it that I'll have to go pick up in the next few weeks.