PDA

View Full Version : Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder.

Chuck Beland
03-31-2006, 4:36 AM
:D :D
Recently, I was diagnosed with A. A. A. D. D. - Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder.

This is how it manifests:

I decide to water my garden.

As I turn on the hose in the driveway, I look over at my car and decide my car needs washing.

As I start toward the garage, I notice that there is mail on the porch table that I brought up from the mail box earlier.

I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car.

I lay my car keys down on the table, put the junk mail in the garbage can under the table, and notice that the can is full.

So, I decide to put the bills back on the table and take out the garbage first.

But then I think, since I'm going to be near the mailbox when I take out the garbage anyway, I may as well pay the bills first.

I take my check book off the table, and see that there is only one check left.

My extra checks are in my desk in the study, so I go inside the house to my desk where I find the can of
Coke that I had been drinking.

I'm going to look for my checks, but first I need to push the Coke aside so that I don't accidentally knock it over. I realize the Coke is getting warm, and I decide I should put it in the refrigerator to keep it cold.

As I head toward the kitchen with the Coke, a vase of flowers on the counter catches my eye--they need to be watered.

I set the Coke down on the counter, and I discover my reading glasses that I've been searching for all morning.

I decide I better put them back on my desk, but first I'm going to water the flowers.

I set the glasses back down on the counter, fill a container with water and suddenly I spot the TV remote. Someone left it on the kitchen table.

I realize that tonight when we go to watch TV, I will be looking for the remote, but I won't remember that it's on the kitchen table, so I decide to put it back in the den where it belongs, but first I'll water the flowers.

I pour some water in the flowers, but quite a bit of it spills on the floor.

So, I set the remote back down on the table, get some towels and wipe up the spill.

Then I head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day:
the driveway is flooded
the car isn't washed,
the bills aren't paid,
there is a warm can of Coke sitting on the counter,
there is still only one check in my check book,
I can't find the remote,
I can't find my glasses,
and I don't remember what I did with the car keys.

Then when I try to figure out why nothing got done today, I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all day long, and I'm really tired.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

rick fulton
03-31-2006, 5:31 AM
I'm not alone. ;-)
With AAADD you gain a greater tolerance for chaos.
rick

Tyler Howell
03-31-2006, 8:54 AM
Aging ain't for sissies;)

Andy Hoyt
03-31-2006, 8:59 AM
As long as - you might as well.....

Ray Bersch
03-31-2006, 9:36 AM
To many it is funny, to those of us who struggle with it, it is frustrating. Of course, none of us really go as far as you outlined, its just that our wives say we do!! And we do have to laugh at ourselves, otherwise we'd cry too much.;)
Ray

Ken Fitzgerald
03-31-2006, 9:39 AM
I agree with Ray! Only piece of advice I'm qualified to give younger folks....as you get older you'd better develop a sense of humor about yourself or you could live an AWFUL long time! (I know it should be "awfully" but AWFUL is the key word there!):( :D

Glenn Clabo
03-31-2006, 9:51 AM
I showed this to my wife...she said I've showed it to her many times.:confused: She calls me it's poster boy.

tod evans
03-31-2006, 9:58 AM
this is a problem??????

Larry Klaaren
03-31-2006, 12:48 PM
this is a problem??????

What??!!

I have to keep telling people "I don't need an earring made." Don't know why folks keep bringing up that I should get an earring made.

Larry

Dennis Peacock
03-31-2006, 1:27 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......some of those really strike home. :o
Now....where did I put my pencil? Now who moved that board i was going to mark on? Why isn't the melamine blade in the tablesaw already? What happened to that bowl I just roughed out 30 minutes ago? Where's that bowl I put in to soak about 4 days ago? OH!!!!! It's STILL soaking!!!!!:eek: :rolleyes:

Ken Garlock
03-31-2006, 1:35 PM
I can identify with that.:confused:

I am always laying down an item in the shop when I need to get item two. Then I spend the next 10 minutes trying to find item one. :(

My wife's analysis would be that you have a lack of 'firmness of purpose,' what ever that is.:cool:

Jerry Olexa
03-31-2006, 2:41 PM
I feel your pain:) I do that all the time. Start on something and get detoured...But its productive just not a clear direction.:D

Jim O'Dell
03-31-2006, 6:36 PM
To many it is funny, to those of us who struggle with it, it is frustrating. Of course, none of us really go as far as you outlined, its just that our wives say we do!! And we do have to laugh at ourselves, otherwise we'd cry too much.;)
Ray

Ray, I thought the list was a little on the short side, or at least so says my wife.....:eek: Jim.

Chuck Beland
03-31-2006, 6:40 PM
I thought you guy's would appreciate this. Dam if I have something in my hands put it down then forgot where I put it.
I just say I have CRS disease (can't remember stuff) LMAO

Ken Fitzgerald
03-31-2006, 6:47 PM
And then you have to factor in the LOML's habit of moving things.........We can have something sitting in the same place in the house since we moved in 23 years ago. She'll be at work......I go to use it....can't find it.............she'll come home ........I'll ask...."did you move this".........."No..........I don't move things".........I've spent 1/2 day looking for it.........Later she'll say...."Well I didn't think it belonged there anymore..." as she hands it to me.........but the look on her face tells me not to accuse her of moving things!........God I love that woman!

Lee DeRaud
03-31-2006, 8:00 PM
I thought you guy's would appreciate this. Dam if I have something in my hands put it down then forgot where I put it.
I just say I have CRS disease (can't remember stuff) LMAOWait a few years: CRS quickly progresses to full-blown CRAFT.:eek:

(For the life of me, I cannot remember what that acronym stands for...:cool: )

rick fulton
04-01-2006, 11:02 AM
Wait a few years: CRS quickly progresses to full-blown CRAFT.:eek:

(For the life of me, I cannot remember what that acronym stands for...:cool: )

Thanks Lee – I now feel worthy of the title CRAFTman.
rick

Ray Bersch
04-06-2006, 9:36 PM
Ray, I thought the list was a little on the short side, or at least so says my wife.....:eek: Jim.

Yea, and I would have answered sooner, but I forgot about this thread!

Darrick Robbins
04-06-2006, 11:13 PM
I wish someone would have told me that the age that this disorder manifests itself is 30 ( at least it was for me)!!

Vaughn McMillan
04-06-2006, 11:46 PM
I wish someone would have told me that the age that this disorder manifests itself is 30 ( at least it was for me)!!
I was gonna bring it up, but I got distracted.

- Vaughn

Norman Hitt
04-07-2006, 1:05 AM
[QUOTE=Ken Fitzgerald]And then you have to factor in the LOML's habit of moving things.........We can have something sitting in the same place in the house since we moved in 23 years ago. She'll be at work......I go to use it....can't find it.............she'll come home ........I'll ask...."did you move this".........."No..........I don't move things".........I've spent 1/2 day looking for it.........Later she'll say...."Well I didn't think it belonged there anymore..." QUOTE]

Can I ever IDENTIFY with the above statement. I've noticed that my LOML only moves MY STUFF, (which is usually left out in plain sight somewhere , so I have a "chance" of finding it), but the real problem comes from two facts, One; she won't remember moving it, because......she had NO Idea what it was that she moved in the first place,:rolleyes: and Two; she has had a habit of hiding things from both herself and the rest of the family for as long as I've known her, SO........it could be ANYWHERE, and she now has NO IDEA where she put, "Whatever" that thing was, in the first place.:( :(

I had to laugh recently though, because when she kind of "Testily" asked (about a month ago) just when I was going to finish repairing that Drywall crack in the kitchen ceiling, I told her "Just as soon as you find the fibreglass tape", that you so thoughtfully put away, because I've now bought it twice, and laid it out so I would remember to finish the repair, and I am not buying anymore.:rolleyes: (Did I mention that I hate Drywall Patching),;) Heck, it's been over a month now since she started trying to find that stuff, and at this rate, I may not have to finish that repair for a whole year.:D :D