PDA

View Full Version : OT: Sonotubes

Mike Mastin
08-15-2003, 5:59 PM
I am looking for 24" diameter Sonotube material in Dallas. Does anyone know where I can buy this stuff? Sonotubes are used as round forms to pour concrete pilings and the like.

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-15-2003, 6:47 PM
I don't know that I've seen them that big, but I've seen some size at either HD, Lowes, or McCoys locally. I was thinking about these just this afternoon and have a question about using them...

If you use one to set a post, what happens when the cardboard or whatever it's made of rots away? Won't the post or pier be loose in the ground then? What am I missing? A general tutorial would be appreciated. :confused:

KC

Bob Reilly
08-15-2003, 8:09 PM
I don't know that I've seen them that big, but I've seen some size at either HD, Lowes, or McCoys locally. I was thinking about these just this afternoon and have a question about using them...

If you use one to set a post, what happens when the cardboard or whatever it's made of rots away? Won't the post or pier be loose in the ground then? What am I missing? A general tutorial would be appreciated. :confused:

KC

Just set the sonotube slightly below ground level,not down into the hole.

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-15-2003, 8:17 PM
Mike, around these parts, you can get Sonotube at any Construction Supply Yard.......especially those that have or rent concrete forms. Some of the Ready Mix Concrete Yards have them also. You may not find 24" diameter at the local Lumber Yard, but they also have tube sometimes. Be prepared to pay for the tube that large. I never could figure out why Sonotube is so expensive, but they have always been plenty proud of that stuff. KC, as far as setting the Tube, I always leave the top just above grade........it makes it easier to level the tube that way.......then just pack soil or your backfill material around the tube and tamp it down. The tube is thin enough that it won't affect the peir holding power when it deteriorates. Sonotube is treated with something that makes it last a long time in the ground.

Mike Mastin
08-15-2003, 10:05 PM
I want to use the Sonotube to construct a dust collection cartridge filter housing.
I will place the filter cartridges inside the tube. The discharge from my cyclone will be blown into a chamber at the top of the Sonotube. The dirty air down will be forced into the Sonotube and be filtered thru the cartridge filters. This way I will use the exterior side of the cartridge to filter, rather than the interior (greater surface area).
I will have a sealed, but accessible dust catch bin at the base of the Sonotube tower to remove the fine dust that escapes the cyclone.
If the Sonotube is too expensive, this project may be a "pipe dream" :-)

Jim Rahbe
08-15-2003, 10:44 PM
Mike,

I also use the filter with the dirty air moving from the outside in. I think it makes cleaning the filter much eaiser. All I did was make a simple box. You can see it at http://home.comcast.net/~jimrahbe/

The jar is my "empty the drum" alarm. Generally it has nothing or almost nothing in it. When it gets about an inch on the bottom the drum is about 75% full, two inches indicates the drum is full.. When the jar is full, as in the pictures, it means I forgot to empty the &%^$ drum again you stupid &^%$ and it's time to pull out the filter and clean it. If I'd just pay attention, and empty the drum on time, I'd only have to clean the filter about once a year...

Bill Pentz
08-18-2003, 8:59 AM
I want to use the Sonotube to construct a dust collection cartridge filter housing.

Three 7" snap lock HVAC pipe sections will snap together to make a 21" cylinder. Three 8" will snap together to make a 24"...

bill

Lars Thomas
08-18-2003, 1:34 PM
Bill, not sure that I would have thought of that idea (putting multiple pieces of pipe together.) Creative solution. Thanks for posting. Lars