PDA

View Full Version : Help! Where to buy finishing products?

Dave Anderson
08-15-2003, 4:15 PM
I've been given my weekend "assignment" by LOML...

A few months ago I finished our thresholds with Minwax dye stain and topped with Spar Varnish. Now the varnish has already started to show signs of wear and the stain has faded dramatically.

I need to find a 100% pigmented stain and a UV Poly somewhere (recommended as the "right" finishes by some friends...)

Can I find these things at places like Home Depot or Rockler? Any recommendations as to specific Brands?

I need to buy this stuff TONIGHT on my way home from work so I need quick answers! :eek:

Eric Apple - Central IN
08-15-2003, 4:53 PM
Your local paint store would be the safest bet on short notice - Porter Paint, Sherwin Williams ect.... They hopefully will know their products and recommend something worth while....

Yep... Dye was the wrong choice for outdoor use. The peeling is probably do to moisture in the wood. You might need cauking and so on to actually solve your problem. Top coats only might not do it..

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-15-2003, 5:43 PM
Yep, Eric is right. A dedicated Paint Store is the place to go if you have problems that need solving. The Box Stores are fine if you just need finishing supplies............but problems require some professional advice, and you just can't get that experienced advice at most Home Centers. Sherwin Williams would be the best bet, but any of the big name paint stores would be helpful. Good Luck, let us know how things turn out.

(Hopefully, Jason will be able to help with this one also.)